Transformative Multi-Year Expansion Announced for WDS Paris

UNCgolf

It will be a D-ticket/ D-ticket+ at DLP...

Are they spending another $100+ million to redesign the ride? It would need to be at least twice as long (i.e. adding several new scenes) and have a serious overhaul to most of the existing scenes to make it to D ticket status. It's one of the weaker C tickets at WDW.

Last edited:

Moon knight

Sir_Cliff,​

they do, indeed, need a family coaster for this park and not a 40s kiddie-coaster ride like the Gadget GO-Coaster. But let's face it, if they would have put all the money in this coaster, Lake Promenade would be quite empty without any ride... If you were an executive you'd have took the same decision. Each project of this expansion has a very limited budget therefore we're getting into this absurd situation in which a land based on How to train your Dragon will propose 2/3 more rides than the one based on the most profitable animated feature ever...

mrflo

Unlike TDR, the Parisian resort has insane development delays, we're talking about decades not even years. (...)
So far they haven't had any major problems with the budget, it's always been a transfer rather than a reduction in the budget.
I think there is hardly any DLP fan who would disagree with the fact that both parks are in need of investments for major new attractions. It is not like that Disney has not made any plans for potential DLP expansions over the years before - e.g. look at the rumoured plans from back in 2014. I am not sceptical about the need of those development plans or them existing. I would be very happy if all of the things that you mention become reality. But history has shown how quickly any of those plans can fall apart - even for things officially announced. While I still appreciate the fact that things are progressing at DLP like never before, I share the anxiety with some other board members that DLP could put the brakes back on and the additional attractions after Frozen might not come as quickly as planned. Bob Iger's believe that park revenue growth is coming from expansion and not price increases can be a positive indicator. But by the time Frozen opens, a new CEO might have already taken over.

The choice of The Lion King is well thought out, they know that it is the right time to build an attraction based on this masterpiece. Avatar and Star Wars will arrive 1 or 2 years later, frankly we won't complain. The logic is to bet on exclusivity again after copying and pasting attractions that already exist elsewhere.
Exclusivity definitely can play a role for fans who regularly visit the parks in the US or Asia. And I am sure the folks at WDI prefer to make their mark by creating a new attraction from scratch rather than just adapting one. The original Space Mountain in DLP or Mystic Manor are great examples of how exclusive new rides can put a park on the map for many new visitors - even without relying on an IP. But it is mainly the quality of the attraction that matters first to attract new visitors.

When Tower of Terror opened in WDS it created a major spike in attendance for the park. The popularity of the attraction in the US might have even generated additional buzz in Europe. While Ratatoutile was an exclusive ride with high development/construction costs, it was only able to deliver a minor jump in attendance. I hope Lion King will deliver instead - in terms of e-ticket quality and appeal to new visitors.

mrflo

Each project of this expansion has a very limited budget therefore we're getting into this absurd situation in which a land based on How to train your Dragon will propose 2/3 more rides than the one based on the most profitable animated feature ever...
Just saw your response after answering to your other post.

Okay, so there is very limited budget after all. But if they don't even have enough budget to add something like a Frozen-themed Seven Dwarfs Mine Train - which actually has a larger capacity than Splash Mountain -, how is there then budget to develop a brand new attraction for the Lion King and add Pandora and Star Wars lands shortly after?

Moon knight

Just saw your response after answering to your other post.

Okay, so there is very limited budget after all. But if they don't even have enough budget to add something like a Frozen-themed Seven Dwarfs Mine Train - which actually has a larger capacity than Splash Mountain -, how is there then budget to develop a brand new attraction for the Lion King and add Pandora and Star Wars lands shortly after?
All the projects validated under Chapek (Cars Road Trip, Avengers Campus, Arendelle, 3/4 of Lake Promenade and Theater District) had a very tight budget.

They're trying to add some stuffs like the 2nd flat ride in the Promenade since January, Iger seems far more bullish about the Parisian destination than his predecessor. The Lion King area might then be a bit more ambitious than originally planned back in 2019, we'll see. From what I 've understood it would be kind of complicated to add a second ride to Frozen, now, for some french legal reasons. @Ally might be able to explain it better than I do. Once again Pandora and Star Wars are seriously considered but won't be greenlit before the end of this year at best if they even come to fruition...

mrflo

Okay, thank you. It makes more sense to me now. Definitely also helps to manage one's expectations. I mean there are still a lot of great new things coming with the WDS expansion. But seems like we might encounter a few more cut corners with the explanation "that's the best they could do with the budget they had" for things launching over the next few years. Hopefully Bob Iger and other recently appointed leaders in key roles for the DLP & WDS expansion will inject some more budget quickly to counterbalance with some more deserved ambition.

Moon knight

Yeah, manage your expectations. For instance WDS' Theater District/Broadway area will be really nice but won't be as good as initially planned in your 2014 article.

I wish you goodnight with what should have inspired the Imagineers but didn't...

I imagine you'll figure out Wednesday what has been kept from the initial vision (illuminated bilboards) and what hasn't (the lavish facades).

Animaniac93-98

When Tower of Terror opened in WDS it created a major spike in attendance for the park. The popularity of the attraction in the US might have even generated additional buzz in Europe. While Ratatoutile was an exclusive ride with high development/construction costs, it was only able to deliver a minor jump in attendance. I hope Lion King will deliver instead - in terms of e-ticket quality and appeal to new visitors.

The two biggest single year jumps in park attendance in DLP's history were after the openings of Space Mountain and ToT.

I don't think that's a coincidence, and maybe the European audience responds the most to elaborate, headliner thrill rides.

From what I understood.

2025 :

-lake promenade with: Two flat rides ( tangled/ Little Mermaid); English Garden; Lake with new show(s)? , restaurants.
-Theater district: reimagined entry sequence.
-Frozen land.

2027:

-Lion King Land ( 3 themed areas).

2028/29:

Pandora.

Rumour has it that a new show probably marvel themed might appear next year to replace the late moteur action.

Parkatm

The two biggest single year jumps in park attendance in DLP's history were after the openings of Space Mountain and ToT.

I don't think that's a coincidence, and maybe the European audience responds the most to elaborate, headliner thrill rides.

I don't think it has something to be with thrill rides, I think it has something to do with top-level rides like : Indiana Jones Adventure, Rise of the Resistance, Flight of Passage, Mystic Manor, Tower of Terror and of course Space Mountain. (I guess POTC Shanghai could join the team?).

JakeDLP

By Outsidears I posted the link to their article. The New Theatre District
1681217110397.png
1681217131235.png

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
People spent 20 years complaining WDSP had no trees and this expansion is certainly giving us trees. Plus some top tier DLP paving to replace the asphalt.
The new paving in the park next door is ridiculously nice. Even in places you didn’t think it needed doing. And Avengers has a really nice floor too.

Good job I spent time the last few trips documenting the studios park how it is / was!

Toni25

Saw all those pics on OutsidEars. Theater district sounds a bit pretentious for what it is?
New trees and floors...a nice addition, but the facades? Aren't they a bit lacking? Once again it seems like the bare minimum is being done. Is this supposed to be a longer project that expands over several years to develop the facades?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Saw all those pics on OutsidEars. Theater district sounds a bit pretentious for what it is?
New trees and floors...a nice addition, but the facades? Aren't they a bit lacking? Once again it seems like the bare minimum is being done. Is this supposed to be a longer project that expands over several years to develop the facades?
Aren’t the actual images fan made based on information available? Not saying they don’t look good but that’s perhaps why they seem rather bland.

Moon knight

Not everything is being shown on this 3D model. Animation Celebration main entrance section will be slightly reworked and "La Place des Stars" will be designed like a tiny "Times Square" or Picadilly Circus with posters/billboards (that may or may not be made out of neons/screens). Studio 1 will feature more painted graphics too. Posters in this rendition appear to be completely random but some will be, as I understood it, WDS attraction posters redesigned as vintage movie posters.

The parade of this park (scheduled for 2025) is currently under development. I invite you to check my previous posts in which I detailed what would be the parade route. Each unit would represent a land/ world of this park and even some that are yet to come (Avatar ;)). I guess the Pixar parade, initially planned for 2020, idea was scrapped in favor of this one.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom