Transformative Multi-Year Expansion Announced for WDS Paris

mrflo

Again Pride Lands : World of the Lion King (as I call it 😝) will feature 3 distinct sub-areas : 1) Timon and Pumba's Jungle, think of a cartoony version of Pandora. TDS' Neverland will mingle Mary Blair's inspired plastic flora with real plants and from what I understood they're taking a similar approach while designing this specific area ; 2) the Pride Rock area will be magnificent with Rhodes, red oats and lemon grass and 3) the Elephants Graveyard with its massive Elephant skull just like the one from the Art of Animation Resort at WDW (will that be even greenlit by today's oversensitive WDI teams ? We'll see ) and fuming dwarf volcanoes.

Thank you for sharing the info. When I hear cartoony I am picturing something similar to - but hopefully more elaborate than - the former Madagascar Zone in Universal Studios Singapore. Probably less flashy than Madagascar and more tone with the Lion King.

IMG_3010.jpg
5987655414_d680871840_b.jpg

I guess the animatronics could then have a similar look to the puppets from the extinct Legend of the Lion King show in Magic Kingdom.

vwd0319399SMALL.jpg

I still can't see this as an equal replacement for SW:GE and think they would go the cheaper route with this one. But this definitely convinced me that it would not be a great fit with Adventureland next door.

DonniePeverley

So what's going on - Star Wars Land not going ahead and building Pandora instead?

IMO they should definately build 'rise of resistance' as a stand alone attraction.

Door Coaster

So what's going on - Star Wars Land not going ahead and building Pandora instead?

IMO they should definately build 'rise of resistance' as a stand alone attraction.
Latest rumors are Star Wars has been moved to Disneyland Parc as a speeder bike coaster. Lion King is the direct replacement, and Pandora is a third lake land later down the line.

J4546

its kinda weird to have the 3 lands around the lake be animated or heavily cgi based imo. I just dont feel like Lion King should be built as all let alone in DSP, i think Id rather it get built in DLP

DonniePeverley

Latest rumors are Star Wars has been moved to Disneyland Parc as a speeder bike coaster. Lion King is the direct replacement, and Pandora is a third lake land later down the line.

A speed bike coaster? The endless possibilities of what they could do with Star Wars, including the whole plans for 'Galacys Edge', Two attractions over in USA as standalone attraction - yet they are looking at a coaster ? A coaster for Star Wars ... i mean really ?!

An utter disgrace.

Last edited:

montydysquith-navarro

In the Parks
No
its kinda weird to have the 3 lands around the lake be animated or heavily cgi based imo. I just dont feel like Lion King should be built as all let alone in DSP, i think Id rather it get built in DLP
I mean, animation is the company's bread and butter so it makes sense why the new lakeside areas are based on animated titles.

Moon knight

A version of both will be built at Disneyland Paris by 2030. Their main goal with this redo is to propose to DLP guests two parks with an equal offer, as far as their IPs are concerned. Therefore, they can't afford to have Marvel, Avatar and Star Wars featured within the same park. Similarly the Disney classics shouldn't be only confined to Disneyland Park. This is precisely what they tried to do at DCA with The Little Mermaid, the Fab 5 and the Silly Simphonies references in their Paradise Pier 2.0, and it will be truer than ever with WDS, which will feature The Lion King, The Little Mermaid, Rapunzel, FROZEN, the Disney Princesses, etc.
Paris Teams are pragmatic, they're not going to build a third version of an attraction that's a daily nightmare for operational teams in the US. The attraction is even more complex than Indiana Jone Adventure or Submarine Voyage to maintain, it would be counterproductive, especially considering the cost, to build a DLP version. Certainly the experience is wonderful, but there's a time when you've got to be a bit realistic, the main goal of this attraction is to increase the capacity of this park to extend the stay of families in the attraction and definitly not to build attractions that'll be breaking down half the day. The coaster is planned in a ten-year plan, the ride can be very well themed and this ride system should allow it to be a more reliable experience.

Moon knight

Thank you for sharing the info. When I hear cartoony I am picturing something similar to - but hopefully more elaborate than - the former Madagascar Zone in Universal Studios Singapore.
Cartoony doen't automatically mean cheesy...
A speed bike coaster? The endless possibilities of what they could do with Star Wars, including the whole plans for 'Galacys Edge', Two attractions over in USA as standalone attraction - yet they are looking at a coaster ? A coaster for Star Wars ... i mean really ?!

An utter disgrace.
Sorry but a motorcycle coaster E-ticket coupled with a cantina inspired restaurant and a Dok Ondar's Den of Antiquities inspired store will not be a disgrace at all, especially if they manage to connect, as initially planned, the Star Tours attraction exit to this new land. The American lands, although beautiful, are cruelly lacking in life with no kinetic movements and a single water feature. The Paris version will solve this problem and will follow the model of the Wizarding World of Harry Potter with a BGM that will be a remix of the film's music, recognizable characters, more interactions and animations and possibly an interactive walkthrough. We still have time to see this project materialize, they have to announce the next Star Wars movies first and then, well after that we'll talk about it again.

yensidtlaw1969

Sorry but a motorcycle coaster E-ticket coupled with a cantina inspired restaurant and a Dok Ondar's Den of Antiquities inspired store will not be a disgrace at all, especially if they manage to connect, as initially planned, the Star Tours attraction exit to this new land. The American lands, although beautiful, are cruelly lacking in life with no kinetic movements and a single water feature. The Paris version will solve this problem and will follow the model of the Wizarding World of Harry Potter with a BGM that will be a remix of the film's music, recognizable characters, more interactions and animations and possibly an interactive walkthrough. We still have time to see this project materialize, they have to announce the next Star Wars movies first and then, well after that we'll talk about it again.
So this Star Wars Land will be its own Land, and not part of Discoveryland? That's interesting - it would be the first new land at Parc Disneyland since opening day.

Will Star Tours remain part of Discoveryland, or will it technically be considered part of the new land instead?

Moon knight

This area would be exactly what "World of Frozen" in HKDL or "Mickey's Toontown" in DLR are for Fantasyland, an immersive intimate land that would compliment the neighbouring land's theme while being marketed as distinct area. The back of Discoveryland and Adventureland allow for the construction of expansions that do not require the modification of the railroad route or the construction of a crossing under the track.

I would love to see them reuse this abandonned concept for DLR btw
artofGalaxysEdge_0009-700x445.jpg

Several options are being considered for the future of Star Tours, some obviously more expensive than others. One of them would be to change the end of the attraction so that C-3PO lands us on the planet of the new land (it won't necessarily be Batuu) and that the exit would be through this new area This could become the Disney equivalent of the Hogwarts Express, allowing us to board in an astroport in Discoveryland to land, as promised in the storyline, on a planet of the Star Wars universe. Star Traders should remain the shop with Star Wars products that would not necessarily be "in universe" themed, while the equivalent of Dok Ondar's in the mini land would offer the same products as Galaxy's Edge.

This project is absolutely not a priority compared to the development of Lion King Land and Pandora at WDS, they need to make sure the franchise is still appealing to European audiences with the upcoming cinema releases.

Last edited:

cjkeating

Several options are being considered for the future of Star Tours, some obviously more expensive than others. One of them would be to change the end of the attraction so that C-3PO lands us on the planet of the new land (it won't necessarily be Batuu) and that the exit would be through this new area This could become the Disney equivalent of the Hogwarts Express, allowing us to board in an astroport in Discoveryland to land, as promised in the storyline, on a planet of the Star Wars universe. Star Traders should remain the shop with Star Wars products that would not necessarily be "in universe" themed, while the equivalent of Dok Ondar's in the mini land would offer the same products as Galaxy's Edge.
It really does sounds like Imagineering either in Glendale or Paris have learnt some of the lessons that were either highlighted before Galaxy's Edge or after it opened.

Star Tours allows an 'out of universe' attraction that can be easily updated for new series/characters whilst the new atraction/land allows for a specific 'in universe' timeframe if they still want to do that.

I feel like the cheaper and better option would be to build a second exit for Star Tours into the land as opposed to moving the entrance to the new land, if that is the more expensive option. Keep the current exit as well though.

Brer Oswald

* The 2nd flat ride of the gardens wil be once again unique to Paris, it was initially designed for DCA and it's NOT a carroussel. I'll let Ally keep the exclusivity on this one so I won't spill the beans.

* The speeder-bike coaster would be, as I previously stated, the main E-ticket of this potential new themed area, so it won't be part of Discoveryland apparently. Hopefully they'll end up building a Mandalorian D-ticket ride along with it. Think about Hagrid's Motorbike Adventure ride but with Star Wars theming and some clever tricks to hide the tracks... Imagine yourself going to Star Tours and then disembarking from the Starspeeder in Discoveryland or on another planet, way more alive than the US Galaxy's Edges thanks to the speeder-bikes zooming sounds ! There still a long way to go before any of this is greenlit though...

* The Lion King ride couldn't have fit the Adventureland theme, believe me. Paris version of Adventureland is all about European's curiosity for numerous exotic regions of the world. We thus encounter Pirates, Archeologists, Genies and so on but we shouldn't be discovering that Lions are talking about kingdoms, succession or thrones. The Lion King has set a world for itself, in which not a single human being seems to live. Moreover, the African area of the land isn't big enough for the magnitude of a water based attraction showbuilding. Let Moana and the Jungle Book benefit from those expansion pads !
Okay this sounds pretty great to me

Parkatm

This area would be exactly what "World of Frozen" in HKDL or "Mickey's Toontown" in DLR are for Fantasyland, an immersive intimate land that would compliment the neighbouring land's theme while being marketed as distinct area. The back of Discoveryland and Adventureland allow for the construction of expansions that do not require the modification of the railroad route or the construction of a crossing under the track.

I would love to see them reuse this abandonned concept for DLR btw
View attachment 707981

This project is absolutely not a priority compared to the development of Lion King Land and Pandora at WDS, they need to make sure the franchise is still appealing to European audiences with the upcoming cinema releases.
It seems too good to be true. I mean, I had several thoughts in the past about how I would integrate a SW land into the resort and using the exit of Star tours to land us on a new planet to have this kind of separate land from discoveryland but with this star tour attraction as a smooth transition, has always been my best idea for Star Wars to be well integrated. So it’s almost too good to be true, like it can totally be a fan dream and not a real rumor. The only think I am not sure i like is the motorbike coaster idea. that’s two coaster side to side and I would have love to have Rise of the Rebellion instead. It’s longer than a one and half a minute tour.

edit : I realize that yesterday was april’s fool, so…

Sam_Sam

A version of both will be built at Disneyland Paris by 2030.
So you are saying that in a period between 2027 and 2029 we are going to see work in both parks on the finishes of Lion King land, the start of both Pandora land with an attraction, a shop and a restaurant and a new land behind Discoveyland with a well themed coaster, a shop and maybe a restaurant.

It is technically possible and yes at this time the majority of big refubishments will be completed but it is still hard to think that it will turn out like that.

DonniePeverley

Sorry but a motorcycle coaster E-ticket coupled with a cantina inspired restaurant and a Dok Ondar's Den of Antiquities inspired store will not be a disgrace at all,

Nonsense of the highest order. Furthermore linking a motorcycle coaster to the 'Star Wars' franchise is stretching it. Cheap theme parks in the USA do this - you know the drill, paint the coaster blue, put an 'S' on the front of the coaster, get a Superman maniquin in the queue - and hey bingo you have a Superman coaster. It's the most horrific cheap nonsense inflicted on the intelligence of the theme park visitor.

Moon knight

The only think I am not sure i like is the motorbike coaster idea. that’s two coaster side to side and I would have love to have Rise of the Rebellion instead. It’s longer than a one and half a minute tour.
These two coasters won't really be side by side, but hey. . . I imagine that during your first visit to DLP you quickly recovered from the fact that there are two bus bar dark rides in Fantasyland and two boat rides in the back of that same land, it will be the same for these two coasters that won't offer the same experience at all. For the duration of the attraction, it won't necessarily be 1 minute and 30s long.

Once and for all yes RotR lasts longer but still should this attraction not break down 3/4 of the day. When you see the European DLP competitors in Europe, they basically say: "Disney is for kids we offer real coasters ! ". Here it will be the opportunity for DLP to show its thematic superiority by proposing a coaster that, unlike Europa Park, conceals everything that could be considered "bad show".

So you are saying that in a period between 2027 and 2029 we are going to see work in both parks on the finishes of Lion King land, the start of both Pandora land with an attraction, a shop and a restaurant and a new land behind Discoveyland with a well themed coaster, a shop and maybe a restaurant.

It is technically possible and yes at this time the majority of big refubishments will be completed but it is still hard to think that it will turn out like that.
From what I've heard we'll get in 2025 the WDSP rededication ceremony with the updated version of Studio 1 and the light Studio Theater placemaking, two $20 million flat rides, a $62 million nighttime spectacular, a new daytime parade going from the future Lion King land all the way down Hollywood Blvd and then towards the left side of the former Soarin' pad, a $86 million table service restaurant and Arendelle + Space Mountain : aux Confins de l'Univers in Disneyland Park.

2027 will be the 35th anniversary of the resort and the opening of the Lion King Land. If greenlit the Star Wars coaster would be part of the 35th Grand Final package with an opening date by 2028, Pandora would open in WDSP a year or so later..

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom