Transformative Multi-Year Expansion Announced for WDS Paris

DLR92

Details/renderings below on the new restaurant.

English translated version -

French version -

I love the Art Nouveau look.

cjkeating

Same, but there's definitely a tale of two parks situation going on. The style clashes so much with the rest of the park sans Remy.
I know I’ve said it before but we all have to think long term here. What the front of the park looks like now will not be what the front of the park looks like in 2030.

So maybe this will be a mismatch in 2025 but hopefully some work can be done to placemake between Studio 1 and the lake pathway for then at least.

mrflo

Tokyo Disney Resort has shared new details on Fantasy Springs. Unfortunately, they also announced that its opening has been delayed by a full year until spring 2024.

The two construction sites are not directly related. Yet I am wondering what this means for the opening time frame of the WDS expansion - in particular Frozen. I initially had hoped that we would get Frozen before the end of 2024. But spring/summer 2025 seems more realistic now. When do you expect the area to open?

croboy82

At the Star Tours shop they put up a sign „Landing.. Star Wars Galaxy‘s Edge“ today.

Is it back on track?

I saw it today in a instagram story from user disney_cave_0f_wonders.

cjkeating

Tokyo Disney Resort has shared new details on Fantasy Springs. Unfortunately, they also announced that its opening has been delayed by a full year until spring 2024.

The two construction sites are not directly related. Yet I am wondering what this means for the opening time frame of the WDS expansion - in particular Frozen. I initially had hoped that we would get Frozen before the end of 2024. But spring/summer 2025 seems more realistic now. When do you expect the area to open?

Unfortunately this could be realistic. Supply chain problems in Europe remain. One real life example is Europa Park who are currently building their 2023 coaster but have announced due to supply chain problems with bespoke electrical components they may have to delay until 2024. For context they are building a Mack coaster and the park is owned and run by the Mack family so they can't even supply themselves.

We can only live in hope that as Europe has been up and running post-COVID much longer than Japan that these issues have been worked out as much as possible already.

cjkeating

I wish they'd put more E-Tickets...it's kind of a mess so far. Pretty, but also messy. Not very excited for shops, toilets and restaurants.
I know we all want more rides but for a non-castle Disney park WDSP has a decent selection of rides along with two great stageshows and hopefully a third with the Pixar show next year. What the park is lacking is space, placemaking, shops and restaurants which the lake will start to address whilst allowing for an impressive nighttime lake show and expansion pads for the future after Frozen.

It is unfortunate WDSP was masterplanned so badly (or didn't even have one...) that they are having to spend so much just to get the park in a position to function as a Disney park should.

Sir_Cliff

I wish they'd put more E-Tickets...it's kind of a mess so far. Pretty, but also messy. Not very excited for shops, toilets and restaurants.
I know we all want more rides but for a non-castle Disney park WDSP has a decent selection of rides along with two great stageshows and hopefully a third with the Pixar show next year. What the park is lacking is space, placemaking, shops and restaurants which the lake will start to address whilst allowing for an impressive nighttime lake show and expansion pads for the future after Frozen.

It is unfortunate WDSP was masterplanned so badly (or didn't even have one...) that they are having to spend so much just to get the park in a position to function as a Disney park should.
I kind of agree with both of these perspectives. WDSP's line-up of attractions is actually pretty decent, especially compared to your average WDW park. The problem has mostly been that all the other elements of theme parks that usually occupy your time between attractions (including just creating a pleasant themed space) haven't been present. The recent work is addressing that latter issue.

On the other hand, I do kind of feel like these big projects aren't bringing as much as they should in terms of attractions. It seems very strange to me that for the foreseeable future there will be such a long promenade and walk around a lake for guests to get to Frozen Ever After as the only reward. I was also a little surprised they hyped the new Marvel campus with reservations, etc. when there wasn't any major new E-ticket or indeed any real increase in attractions coming with that addition. I still think it was a big positive for the park, but it does seem noteworthy to me that there are no major new E-tickets planned as part of this big re-launch of the park. Disney seems to really have an issue building new areas with more than 1 or 2 attractions these days.

I also wish there was more thought given to how the new lake and promenade was supposed to fit into the theme of the park, but it feels like that ship has sailed with present Disney.

cjkeating

I kind of agree with both of these perspectives. WDSP's line-up of attractions is actually pretty decent, especially compared to your average WDW park. The problem has mostly been that all the other elements of theme parks that usually occupy your time between attractions (including just creating a pleasant themed space) haven't been present. The recent work is addressing that latter issue.

On the other hand, I do kind of feel like these big projects aren't bringing as much as they should in terms of attractions. It seems very strange to me that for the foreseeable future there will be such a long promenade and walk around a lake for guests to get to Frozen Ever After as the only reward. I was also a little surprised they hyped the new Marvel campus with reservations, etc. when there wasn't any major new E-ticket or indeed any real increase in attractions coming with that addition. I still think it was a big positive for the park, but it does seem noteworthy to me that there are no major new E-tickets planned as part of this big re-launch of the park. Disney seems to really have an issue building new areas with more than 1 or 2 attractions these days.

I also wish there was more thought given to how the new lake and promenade was supposed to fit into the theme of the park, but it feels like that ship has sailed with present Disney.
Completely agree.

Regarding the lake I would be surprised if construction for the 2nd land (Star Wars or otherwise) didn’t follow on after Frozen so it wouldn’t be just Frozen for more than 2-3 years. Also the lake area will have other attractions, Cars faces the lake path, potentially a daytime parade/show and the other announced art-deco elements.

And regarding the lake not syncing with the current park, would we want the lake area built in the style of WDSP 1.0? The lake style gives me hope of reworking of Production/Animation Courtyards and Studio 1 in the future.

Sir_Cliff

Completely agree.

Regarding the lake I would be surprised if construction for the 2nd land (Star Wars or otherwise) didn’t follow on after Frozen so it wouldn’t be just Frozen for more than 2-3 years. Also the lake area will have other attractions, Cars faces the lake path, potentially a daytime parade/show and the other announced art-deco elements.
True, and maybe the walk to FEA won't actually feel that devoid of other attractions when everything else is connected onto that promenade. I'm still kind of surprised they haven't tried to do something like build a second attraction for Frozenland like they one they have coming to HKDL to at least fill out the land a little more, though, for the minimum 2-3 year period I imagine it would take to open a second land. The only way I can really see them addressing all of this in the short term is by introducing a lot of live entertainment into the mix, a little like how (the much grander) World Showcase doesn't feel so devoid of attractions because there is so much entertainment to stop at watch. That also seems to have been the approach with the two Marvel Campuses where there is a lot of hype but not so many attractions.

And regarding the lake not syncing with the current park, would we want the lake area built in the style of WDSP 1.0? The lake style gives me hope of reworking of Production/Animation Courtyards and Studio 1 in the future.
Not WDSP 1.0, but at least something that felt like it was connected to the theme of studios in a broad sense. What they have revealed so far just reads as what Imagineering thought might make for a nice and pleasant area based on an interpretation of art nouveau and Parisian gardens that could be slotted into pretty much any park, regardless of the theme. Nothing they've said or revealed really suggests that they have thought about it in terms of how it helps to bring together the different lands of the parks under the broad umbrella of the Studios theme. That's something that I actually think Hollywood Studios does well with its "Hollywood that never was" motif that runs at least through the front part of the park before you get to the lands build around specific film franchises.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom