Transformative Multi-Year Expansion Announced for WDS Paris

Sir_Cliff

Good imo.

As far as replacing it, Id rather expand and go all out with the Frozen land before adding a new one, Frozen needs at least 2 rides and should have gotten the cancelled sliding sleighs ride in HK but oh well....As far as a new IP land a Pixar Pier would be cool and you could place the toy story land stuff there as well and then use the old TSL area for a dark ride and make a nice little French Square area with the new ride, Rat and the other building, add a little coffee shop and a larger fountain in the middle and you got yourself a nice little french courtyard/square themed land as long as the new ride matched the theme....Im thinking an Aristocats dark ride cause its a classic and the Cat and Mouse theme of the new french square would be fun imo.
I agree Frozen Land should have at least two rides; it's a hell of a long walk all the way back there just for that ride. Particularly for that ride, and I have more positive views of FEA than most! More generally, they'd better get something going quickly as it will be a very weird and empty park with this long path leading to a big lake with Frozen Land and its one ride sitting alone on the other side.

Certainly not a fan of cloning Pixar Pier, and they already have their Pixar area so I don't think it will be anything Pixar. Honestly at a loss to think of what is something they're likely considering. Something Star Wars seemed like it would be a logical fit for the studios park, though Frozen Land suggests they would more or less stick any IP land in there regardless of whether it would fit better here or Disneyland Parc. I guess they already have a Zootopia land and attraction designed they could transport over from Shanghai if their contract allows them.

montydysquith-navarro

In the Parks
No
Two hunches:
  1. Since WDSP is becoming the portfolio park (ish), Pandora would make sense to showcase the 20th Century Fox portfolio. It would basically be the Adventureland of the Studios.
  2. New Orleans Square (because of the French connection), but with an expanded Tiana’s Bayou Adventure as the headlining attraction.

Franklin47disneyguy

I think it’s a good choice, SWGE is not that great and ridiculously expensive. Maybe they can focus first on upgrading Studio 1, Production Courtyard and the Pixar Land. Avengers Campus needs a big E to become more than a solid land. I always figured that the lake area would be a princess land. So maybe more disney Princess rides around the lake? Anyway the Campus looks fun an a great improvement. Zootopia could also be a good replacement for star wars.

yensidtlaw1969

You’re right. Passage has you sat down. Avengers has you stood up. Same ride system, different seats.
That sounds . . . surprisingly lame?

I enjoy Flight of Passage, and it's clearlty very popular, but I thought Avengers was meant to take the ride system concept to another level. Doing a version with guests Standing instead of Sitting doesn't sound all that inspired, especially in DCA where it'd be a stone's throw away from the original Soarin'.

Kinda shocked that this was meant to be their big swing for Marvel.

Jwhee

Original Poster
Would be insanely cool if they built a version of paradise/Pixar pier on that new lake. Could create a new personality and central area for the park.

yensidtlaw1969

Spider-Man DCA and WDSP whilst good doesn’t hold a candle to IOA. I feel they peaked with Rise and are dialing it back again
Right? I assumed that they went light on Spider-Man because they wanted to offer a fully family-friendly attraction alternative for that character and because it allowed them to put extra force behind Avengers where they'd be pulling out the big guns . . . but a Flight of Passage variation isn't that at ALL.

DCA, DSP, they both need a Rise of the Resistance-level attraction, and I can hardly think of a more suitable IP than the Avengers. I expected it to be a simulator, but something had me thinking it was going to be a grand-slam "best simulator of all time"-type ride. Which would go at least some way to explaining why it was cancelled, but how expensive could it be to build FOP 2.0?

I just . . . I really don't get it. Do they not wanna make cool stuff anymore?

denyuntilcaught

Here's my thing: not every new E needs some glossy, sexy, bound-to-breakdown new ride system. I'd challenge WDI to do something awesome with what we have at hand. Space Mountain didn't reinvent the wheel, nor did Pirates, nor did Splash. They did great things with existing ride systems, only enhanced.

Save the money.

mrflo

Apart from making the WDS finally a full-day park experience, my understanding was that the goal of the expansion is to broaden the appeal of WDS (and DLP as a whole) by adding areas for movies/genres/IPs that have not had a proper home in DLP yet. Now that they have added Marvel, I currently only see Star Wars or Avatar as the main contenders for the third expansion land. And even for Star Wars you could argue that there is some presence in Discoveryland already.

I agree that both Avengers Campus and Frozen would benefit from at least one new ride each. For example, the family-friendly rollercoaster that is also part of the Frozen land in Hong Kong could easily be added as well. I guess the whole issue right now is money. The plan and budget that was allocated for the WDS expansion was done under Bob Iger four years ago. Of course, the Covid situation has prompted Bob Chapek to cut costs and already announced new attractions. It will be interesting to see if the upcoming D23 announcements will continue that path.

Particularly for DLP costs and budgets for new attractions might be kept limited even more. Considering they even cheapened the cool practical shrinking effect from DCA´s PYM restaurant and replaced it with a basic screen for WDS, I am worried how this will translate into the further expansion. Even if we get a Rise of the Resistance ride, they still could cut scenes and/or replace animatronics by screens to cut costs. I will try to stay optimistic but also manage my expectations.

mrflo

Here's my thing: not every new E needs some glossy, sexy, bound-to-breakdown new ride system. I'd challenge WDI to do something awesome with what we have at hand. Space Mountain didn't reinvent the wheel, nor did Pirates, nor did Splash. They did great things with existing ride systems, only enhanced.

Save the money.
I think I know what you mean. Technology should be just the tool to create the magic. The innovation of a ride system itself does not guarantee a magical experience. Though back in the day Pirates of the Caribbean was ground breaking mainly also because of the audio-animatronics and the boat ride transportation system. It redefined what an attraction was at that point in time.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom