Transformative Multi-Year Expansion Announced for WDS Paris

Sir_Cliff

I don't know why you keep saying RNR was no masterpiece when I've freely admitted that several times. I'm not pretending that it was. But an overall downgrade to an attraction experience can still be unfortunate even if it wasn't the pinaccle of Imagineering.

They made the ride experience worse when the goal should have been to make it better. Given how low the bar was, it should have been relatively easy to do that. Instead, 75% of the ride is now just pitch black. I see no need to give them a pass on that.
I guess it's not as obvious to some of us that the ride experience is worse based on the videos. At least for me, that's where the point about RNRC not being that fantastic comes in. Sure, this could have been a lot better with more effects and perhaps more images (not sure quite what constraints they were working with here). What it replaces, though, was a coaster through concert lighting with Aerosmith songs blasting. I don't know, but I suspect a lot of guests will find the Avengers video images and music more impressive and enjoyable and certainly not worse that the Aerosmith version.

Sir_Cliff

I don't know that the ride experience is any worse than RNR, but it doesn't look like it's any better -- that's my issue. If you're going to change it, why not actually improve it?
I guess I find it a little harder to tell if it's better, worse, or the same from what we've seen. The old attraction just seemed so tired to me the last time I was there, and, while the zooming through scaffolding and concert lighting was fairly effective, it was also in tune with the bare-bones feel of the park and this very attraction that looked like it was housed in a giant shed. If this version feels fresher and the images of the characters actually create the sensation of something happening around you on the ride, it might overall be an improvement that fits within the scope of what they're trying to do with WDS. I'm not of the view that more darkness necessarily means it's worse.

gerarar

Premium Member
Thought (or read somewhere) I was gonna be able to roam Avengers Campus and take some pictures during the day and at night, but guess not. BGM was playing tho.

20220714_163338.jpg

Anyways, my first timers thoughts on WDS is that it's kinda really bare. I was able to complete everything I wanted to do (pretty much all rides except TSPL) in under 3 hours. I only got a premier access for Mickey and the Magician, and that show was really good imo.

My longest wait actually ended up being Cars Road Trip (about 35ish mins) because the tram that we boarded didn't close its doors, so maintenance was called in, had to deboard and reboard. All the other rides were under 30 mins wait. TOT was a surprise because of the "revised" story. Kinda creepier/scarier now lol.

Hope the coming addition additions/expansions really bolster this park, because it needs it and has the potential be something more.

Last edited:

cjkeating

Thought (or read somewhere) I was gonna be able to roam Avengers Campus and take some pictures during the day and at night, but guess not. BGM was playing tho.

View attachment 653166

Anyways, my first timers thoughts on WDS is that it's kinda really bare. I was able to complete everything I wanted to do (pretty much all rides except TSPL) in under 3 hours. I only got a premier access for Mickey and the Magician, and that show was really good imo.

My longest wait actually ended up being Cars Road Trip (about 35ish mins) because the tram that we boarded didn't close its doors, so maintenance was called in, had to deboard and reboard. All the other rides were under 30 mins wait. TOT was a surprise because of the "revised" story. Kinda creepier/scarier now lol.

Hope the coming addition additions/expansions really bolster this park, because it needs it and has the potential be something more.
If you have any time to spare during your trip Dream Factory in WDSP is a must do. Don't let the Disney Junior name put you off, it's a full show with a great story. If you enjoyed MATM you will enjoy this I am sure.

gerarar

Premium Member
Also not sure if it’s a thing, but I hopped back to WDS to ride TOT a bunch more times before the park closes (one hour before), and they’re not running the preshow at all. Just sending people straight through the library room.

If you have any time to spare during your trip Dream Factory in WDSP is a must do. Don't let the Disney Junior name put you off, it's a full show with a great story. If you enjoyed MATM you will enjoy this I am sure.
Ah darn, I skipped that one. Thought it was some dance party like what they have in DHS. And unfortunately no; this was my one and only day at the resort, will be spending the rest of the trip exploring Paris itself and other areas.

cjkeating

Also not sure if it’s a thing, but I hopped back to WDS to ride TOT a bunch more times before the park closes (one hour before), and they’re not running the preshow at all. Just sending people straight through the library room.

Ah darn, I skipped that one. Thought it was some dance party like what they have in DHS. And unfortunately no; this was my one and only day at the resort, will be spending the rest of the trip exploring Paris itself and other areas.
Re: TOT - weird. Maybe a staffing issues or if it was one room a technical issue?

Re: Dream Factory - hopefully you return in the future. :)

Animaniac93-98

Now that the former Backlot has been redone [for the most part], I'd say the area pictured here, Production Courtyard, is the new worst looking area of the park.

Getting rid of the stage in the middle made this a big expanse of concrete with only the OK looking Disney Channel Building and the uninspired Studio 1 exterior to look at.

Adding more greenery and Hollywood architecture would improve it a lot.

gerarar

Premium Member
Re: TOT - weird. Maybe a staffing issues or if it was one room a technical issue?

Re: Dream Factory - hopefully you return in the future. :)
I don't think so. They were only sending people through right library room. Then when it came to the staircase, they distributed people evenly between upper and lower floors. I think they just wanted to increase ops for the last hour or so. All the CMs were still there, actually some just bunched up and chit chatting. Not that I really care bc that meant I got in more rerides before the park closed (4 in like 30 some mins).

And hopefully some day. This France trip was kind of a once in a lifetime thing for me, but maybe I'll wise up one day and go again haha. I do want to see the other international Disney Parks first tho lol.

UNCgolf

I'm not of the view that more darkness necessarily means it's worse.

I'm not either -- just that the character aspect looks about as bare bones as it possibly could be. As I said, I don't think the projections/screens on CR look especially good/interesting, but they look 1000x better than what they did on this.

doctornick

I'm not either -- just that the character aspect looks about as bare bones as it possibly could be. As I said, I don't think the projections/screens on CR look especially good/interesting, but they look 1000x better than what they did on this.
I would think a lot of that has to do with limitations of the ride space. CR is comparable huge and designed to have larger more surrounding projections. RNR wasn’t designed for larger or constant images and I would think that trying to put more video would start to bleed into each other or light up the track or walls, etc.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I would think a lot of that has to do with limitations of the ride space. CR is comparable huge and designed to have larger more surrounding projections. RNR wasn’t designed for larger or constant images and I would think that trying to put more video would start to bleed into each other or light up the track or walls, etc.
Nah. Loads of room in there.

TheLewisHK

Screenshot_20220718-194916_Twitter.jpg

What we already expected has been confirmed by Natacha Rafalski - Galaxy's Edge has been scrapped in favour of an alternative (uncomfirmed) theme.

Natacha has stated "We are still working on the third theme. We will make announcements about this when we are ready"

So, the question is... are we going to get a land exclusive to DLP, or are we going to get another copy and paste project here?

Article here: https://www.disneyphile.fr/le-land-star-wars-de-disneyland-paris-est-il-compromis/

TheLewisHK

I have a feeling we will be getting a cloned land in line with how Disney seem to be operating at the moment.

I think these are more likely:

- Pandora (lite) I think there's an appetite for Pandora. Further to this, we will be seeing more Avatar presence in movies and media over the next ten years. If the franchise can ride the success of its predecessor I think this may be a strong contender. If this is the case, it would be imperative WDS gets FoP rather than NRJ as its anchor - the latter option would be a travesty.

- Radiator Springs. We may also get an iteration of Radiator Springs. This would likely include a Cars Quatre Roues Rallye move over to RS and a version of Racers. I feel if this happens the land will be relocated to the right side of the lake.

Less likely:

- Fantasy Springs style land, extending around the left side of the lake with a mishmash of properties. This could be inclusive of Arendelle.

- Extension of Avengers Campus northward - they would have plenty of source material to work from.

- Zootopia

But who knows. Maybe they'll just shelve the entire thing and we'll just get a lake and Frozen. To be honest, the decision to scrap GE is disappointing, especially as we could potentially have a land that would have learned from the mistakes of its predecessors and focus entirely on the original trilogy timeline. It really could have been something, even if it were just a smaller version. Hopefully whatever we get will be 'full size' to move away from this odd collection of miniature snapshot lands this park has been and will continue to be. I have a dark feeling some mistakes may be made with how this expansion is going to be implemented.

Last edited:

J4546

Good imo.

As far as replacing it, Id rather expand and go all out with the Frozen land before adding a new one, Frozen needs at least 2 rides and should have gotten the cancelled sliding sleighs ride in HK but oh well....As far as a new IP land a Pixar Pier would be cool and you could place the toy story land stuff there as well and then use the old TSL area for a dark ride and make a nice little French Square area with the new ride, Rat and the other building, add a little coffee shop and a larger fountain in the middle and you got yourself a nice little french courtyard/square themed land as long as the new ride matched the theme....Im thinking an Aristocats dark ride cause its a classic and the Cat and Mouse theme of the new french square would be fun imo.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom