Transformative Multi-Year Expansion Announced for WDS Paris

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member

Campus is more and more looking to be set in a lush forest and im here for it!

Just imagine.

325C6F06-59BA-4059-BE7E-3933E2C96678.jpeg

Markiewong

What’s early summer? I still am told “14 July at the latest”. That’s technically still in the first month of summer.
School vacations around Europe start between the end of June and middle of July. The last addition, Ratatouille, soft opened on 21th june and officially opened on the 10th of July. I am guessing we will see a similar timeframe here.

Also interesting to note, July 12th is more expensive in the calender.
1652368357010.png

fradz

School vacations around Europe start between the end of June and middle of July. The last addition, Ratatouille, soft opened on 21th june and officially opened on the 10th of July. I am guessing we will see a similar timeframe here.

Since we all play, I'll also go with something like this and say fully open in the week between the 4th and 10th of July

Animaniac93-98

"Try to imagine, just for a moment, a theme park of minimal technological creativity...a theme park of only some adventure and discovery...a theme park completely lacking in awareness and understanding of how little it delivers.

Try to imagine. For we welcome you now to take the first steps into that park. We welcome you to Disney Studios Paris. We welcome you to The Backlot."

Sir_Cliff

"Try to imagine, just for a moment, a theme park of minimal technological creativity...a theme park of only some adventure and discovery...a theme park completely lacking in awareness and understanding of how little it delivers.

Try to imagine. For we welcome you now to take the first steps into that park. We welcome you to Disney Studios Paris. We welcome you to The Backlot."
I have to say, when people get nostalgic for Eisner I always think of the shock at DCA and then how WDS not only made DCA but your average outdoor mall look like a masterpiece of themed entertainment.

UNCgolf

I have to say, when people get nostalgic for Eisner I always think of the shock at DCA and then how WDS not only made DCA but your average outdoor mall look like a masterpiece of themed entertainment.

Understandable, but you have to balance it with Hollywood Studios, Animal Kingdom, and Disneyland Paris, not to mention all the highly themed resorts at WDW. It's why there's such a line between the end of his tenure and the earlier years.

Plus, I believe people have mentioned that DCA and WDS, while obviously built far too cheap, were at least designed in a way that made it relatively easy to fix them. That's not the case for something like Toy Story Land, which would basically require tearing most of it down to use the space more efficiently (not to suggest TSL is as bad as WDS was, but it's not very good). Not that Eisner or his successors were designing things at that level, but they were responsible for the overall culture etc. that led to those designs.

Last edited:

Sir_Cliff

Understandable, but you have to balance it with Hollywood Studios, Animal Kingdom, and Disneyland Paris, not to mention all the highly themed resorts at WDW. It's why there's such a line between the end of his tenure and the earlier years.

Plus, I believe people have mentioned that DCA and WDS, while obviously built far too cheap, were at least designed in a way that made it relatively easy to fix them. That's not the case for something like Toy Story Land, which would basically require tearing most of it down to use the space more efficiently (not to suggest TSL is as bad as WDS was, but it's not very good). Not that Eisner or his successors were designing things at that level, but they were responsible for the overall culture etc. that led to those designs.
The difference between the first and last half of Eisner's tenure is obviously massive, though I think people forget quite how dire things got by the end of it. Disney seemed to be bad at everything by that point, including theme parks. The one thing I will say in defence of even late-period Eisner is that he would back a good idea even if it wasn't attached to an IP, such as Mission: Space (which, I think, failed more in execution than ambition) and Everest. If he was still in charge, for example, I could imagine an Australia land in Animal Kingdom may have a shot at getting approved, whereas under the current management I don't think it has a hope in hell.

What I think did improve after Iger took over is that there was more interest in the product being of a high quality, which Eisner really didn't seem to care about by the end. I suspect that design issues (and spiralling budgets) have a bit more to do with institutional knowledge being lost at WDI in recent decades, but agree that there has been a culture that has allowed that to happen. I will say, though, that DCA seemed the first park where WDI seemed to forget all the design lessons they had learnt over the years, so that process may have begun pre-Iger and Chapek. I'm also not sure that WDS was well-designed in terms of its layout. It has been easy to add things as it was essentially a carpark with buildings around the edges, but the layout still strikes me as very awkward. Apparently ToT was always planned to sit in the middle of the park, which is odd, and that new long path from the centre to the lake suggests that they basically have to get away from the existing park to add anything substantial to it. The compact nature of the park in particular seemed to make it hard for them to ever do much in terms of landscaping to improve that carpark atmosphere.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom