Transformative Multi-Year Expansion Announced for WDS Paris

montydysquith-navarro

In the Parks
No
As much as I would love original lands and attractions at all the Disney parks, it would make more sense to replicate Disneyland attractions such as Cars to Paris than copying the WDW attractions. WDW is marketed to Brits possibly more than Paris is, so keeping some attractions unique to Florida would make sense, whereas fewer Europeans would travel to California Disney in general I think.
I agree with your Walt Disney World comparison point (especially with the imminent third gate requirement; let it not be an Animal Kingdom or EPCOT-type park please!), but at the same time, seeing how both Bob Iger and Bob Chapek have been running the parks, it wouldn't be out of character for them to 1) clone an existing land (Avengers Campus, Arendelle/Norway Pavilion, and possibly Star Wars Land/Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge as the Phase 1 expansions), and 2) show off their shiny new investments (in this case, 20th Century Fox). I'm not saying Cars: Route 66 Road Trip is the spiritual successor to Radiator Springs Racers, but since that attraction will firmly place the Cars franchise on the Studios' map (despite the current meh consensus it currently has), the feasibility of Cars Land coming to the Studios is admittedly low in my opinion.

Jon81uk

I agree with your Walt Disney World comparison point (especially with the imminent third gate requirement; let it not be an Animal Kingdom or EPCOT-type park please!), but at the same time, seeing how both Bob Iger and Bob Chapek have been running the parks, it wouldn't be out of character for them to 1) clone an existing land (Avengers Campus, Arendelle/Norway Pavilion, and possibly Star Wars Land/Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge as the Phase 1 expansions), and 2) show off their shiny new investments (in this case, 20th Century Fox). I'm not saying Cars: Route 66 Road Trip is the spiritual successor to Radiator Springs Racers, but since that attraction will firmly place the Cars franchise on the Studios' map (despite the current meh consensus it currently has), the feasibility of Cars Land coming to the Studios is admittedly low in my opinion.

Well New lands based on 20th Century properties would be even better, but I doubt Paris will see much original content again.

Although I personally think adding the Simpsons into the studios park would be a good thing, as long as any language issues could be met.

On the plus side they can't do Marvel in Florida so at least some of the attractions will be unique to Paris and California.

Stevie Amsterdam

I think the dislike of, and resistance against, duplicate lands and rides are only a matter of importance to hardcore fans (myself included). Those who travel the globe to all the different Disney parks who are willing to spend a fortune on it would love to see unique rides, lands and experiences and for the most of it, we can.

For the average John Smith the diversity at Disney parks around the world is a non issue.

montydysquith-navarro

In the Parks
No
Well New lands based on 20th Century properties would be even better, but I doubt Paris will see much original content again.

Although I personally think adding the Simpsons into the studios park would be a good thing, as long as any language issues could be met.

On the plus side they can't do Marvel in Florida so at least some of the attractions will be unique to Paris and California.
I'm admittedly unsure what are the current terms for The Simpsons, seeing as they have a prominent presence in Universal Studios Florida and Hollywood (unless Disney suddenly revokes the licensing rights and basically forces US to shut it down to make way for WDI's version of Springfield). The only one that has enough research and development done that's based on the 20th Century Fox property is Pandora, and that's not even directly based on the actual source material (the film) but rather its universe. If they do go down this route for WDSP's Phase 2, the best-case scenario that I can see here is that they actually extend the universe of the Valley of Mo'ara and not just clone what they did in Animal Kingdom. With the sequels currently being rolled out in the coming years, Joe Rohde (who I think wasn't laid off) and the Pandora team will have a lot of material to work with to expand the Avatar theme park universe while including elements of the films.

A little bit OT, but did you see what Phantasialand did in Germany with Rookburgh? https://www.phantasialand.de/de/rookburgh/

That said, I wish they would scrap some of the current ip based expansion and realise what they already have in terms of unique storytelling. They could have a massive steampunk Jules Verne inspired land with elements/rides from Disneysea and completely new stuff and treat Discoveryland as an outpost.
And since the Phantasialand Coaster is from Vekoma like most of the coasters from Disney, I'm sure WDI should be able to come up with something similar.
The track from the fly coaster looks like part of the land theming, and that's how you do this, not like the tron track.

Thoughts?

European1992

A little bit OT, but did you see what Phantasialand did in Germany with Rookburgh? https://www.phantasialand.de/de/rookburgh/

That said, I wish they would scrap some of the current ip based expansion and realise what they already have in terms of unique storytelling. They could have a massive steampunk Jules Verne inspired land with elements/rides from Disneysea and completely new stuff and treat Discoveryland as an outpost.
And since the Phantasialand Coaster is from Vekoma like most of the coasters from Disney, I'm sure WDI should be able to come up with something similar.
The track from the fly coaster looks like part of the land theming, and that's how you do this, not like the tron track.

Thoughts?

Phantasialand does everything right. It is on par with DLP when it comes to rides.

Toni25

Sooo, here's some exciting news I've seen in a while:

Disney2.png

Of course, I don't want to spoil all their content, there's more on their twitter page.

Toni25

This picture was used in the Parks Blog video in reference to the California version of the ride, so Paris may not be at this stage just yet, but it does show us what the vehicles will look like.
Oh I didn't even for a second think this was Paris, they are waaaay behind that, it even says on twitter this is Cali, forgot to mention.
But ultimately they will be identic, so we get the same thing. They even have a video of them moving.
They're pretty far with construction, I'm getting hyped now. It could turn out to be pretty Iconic. Fingers crossed.

BrianLo

It's a bit odd that the splash reels for upcoming projects did not include the latter phases of this expansion project.

I wouldn't be that aware if its exclusion was not so obvious in an otherwise fairly extensive list (including the DL DVC, far flung projects like Tokyo, Zootopia) or even the Cars transition for the Backstage Tour...

So where does the rest of the WDSP overhaul currently stand? Has it been mothballed?

Animaniac93-98

So where does the rest of the WDSP overhaul currently stand? Has it been mothballed?

As I understand it, some prep work has been done in the future lake area, but there is an issue with getting the crews needed to work on it. At this point it sounds more like construction delays than a rethink of what to build or intentional mothballing.

Animaniac93-98

There was a lengthy, public approval process for getting this expansion developed. I'm not sure how much wiggle room Disney would be allowed to make changes, or if the money for this project has already been committed.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom