Transformative Multi-Year Expansion Announced for WDS Paris

gerarar

Premium Member
Absolutely agree it’s short sighted, since the barrier of entry to making an attraction in the first place is so high, might as well make it good.

That said, it wouldn’t cost an extra million or two to double this coaster’s length. Nor would it cost an extra million or two to make slinky longer (but they absolutely should’ve made slinky and this longer), but the cost per foot on this ride and 7DMT are very high, so it’s not that cheap to make it that much longer. As for slinky, it literally has no excuse, because it doesn’t have much dressing up around it’s existing track.
The original slinky also had elevation changes where it would go "underground", under pedestrian bridges and ditches (seemingly dug up by Andy) in the mounds of dirt. I'd imagine that also brought up the costs a lot, hence why it was easily cut by Disney.

Thank goodness they at least kept the bridge over the second launch...

Haymarket

Looks like, after the expansion, WDS will have about the same footprint as Disneyland Park.

campus.jpeg

Haymarket

(Translated to English from French)

A third Park at Disneyland Paris?

Feb 18, 2020 (with updates through June 6, 2022)

The arrival of a third Park at Disneyland Paris is still on the agenda. However, the leading European tourist destination will have to meet a few conditions to complete this ambitious project!

The year 2036 as the target year for the creation of the third Theme Park!

As stipulated in the agreement signed in 1987 , a contract concluded between the State, the region, the department, the RATP, the public developer EpaFrance and Euro Disney SAS for an initial period of thirty years, the creation of a third Park themes at Disneyland Paris are still very much relevant.

While the last amendment signed in September 2010, which extended the agreement until 2030 instead of 2017, and notably allowed the Parisian Park to consider the construction of a third Park until 2026, a new one will soon be initialed to give rise to a further extension of this agreement until 2040 . This signature will thus allow the possibility of creating this third Park until 2036.

Disneyland Paris will have to improve its attendance to make this project a reality!

This third theme park should be established on an unused site in l'Érable , which is located to the east of the circular boulevard, in the territories of Magny-le-Hongre and Bailly-Romainvilliers . According to the amendment, if by March 24, 2036 Euro Disney SAS or its assignee has not “ requested inclusion in a detailed program corresponding to the creation of a third major tourist attraction ”, this land may be resold . However, this text may be modified again by 2036.

terrain-1-1.png

Land of the third Theme Park.

Indeed, a new amendment may be initialed “ until the date on which a threshold of at least 22 million annual Visitors will have been reached by the two existing Parks ”. Currently, Disneyland Paris has reached the mark of 15 million Visitors. The amendment also stipulates that in the event of an increase in attendance, “ the creation of this third major attraction must be planned in a detailed program , signed no later than March 23, 2040 ”.

A project that does not suit everyone in the region . Indeed, some people are worried about this development, for example in Magny-le-Hongre. Didier Pasquier, one of the municipal candidates and former deputy mayor, believes that the arrival of this third Disneyland Paris theme park would simply cut the city in two . He confided to the site actu.fr “ We must minimize the impact on the city and the best would be to find another location ”.

On Tuesday, February 27, 2018, Disney announced a major multi-year development plan for the Parisian Park , including the arrival of 3 new Lands, on Marvel, Frozen and Star Wars, in the Walt Disney Studios Park . This extension will allow Disneyland Paris to improve its attendance and move towards the realization of its other future projects.

A new deadline of 10 years which concerns other issues of Euro Disney SAS!

Apart from the arrival of this third Theme Park at Disneyland Paris, the extension of this deadline “ aims to support the tourist development of Euro Disney SAS which has announced an investment of 2 billion euros ” as well as “ the urban development for the construction of 1,800 additional housing units and 250 residence units , initially planned in areas outside the Disney perimeter, as well as 450 additional specific housing units dedicated to the destination's employees .

This extension of the agreement from 2030 to 2040 will also allow the construction of an east wing of Villages Nature Paris before the year 2030 . This umpteenth postponement of the deadline allows The Walt Disney Company to maintain a certain regular pace of investment in the territory.

The first work has begun!

EpaFrance has begun a long phase of work leading to the construction of a merlon [berm] along Boulevard de l'Europe, facing Magny le Hongre. A merlon is a structure consisting of a raised earth intended to serve as a sound and/or visual screen. In this case, it will face the future third Disneyland Paris theme park planned for 2036. This development, with a total length of 800 meters and whose height will vary from 1.5 to 5 meters , has started in February 2021. It will extend from the Val de France hotel roundabout to the area located shortly after the entrance to Magny-le-Hongre, rue du Moulin à Vent. It will consist of three sections.

merlon.jpg

Merlon which will serve as a sound and/or visual screen for the third Disneyland Paris theme park.

The work is taking place in three phases :

• Preparatory work with archaeological excavations and the creation of the maintenance track;
• Land provision until mid-year;
• Planting work which should take place between October 2021 and March 2022.

On Sunday March 21, 2021 , we can see that the work on the design of the merlon has already progressed well . Preparatory work with archaeological excavations and the creation of the maintenance track is underway.

[slideshow]

On Tuesday April 27, 2021 , the creation of the merlon is progressing at a good pace. In the photos that follow we can also see the land of the probable future third Disneyland Paris theme park.

[slideshow]

On Monday June 6, 2022 , the Disneyland Paris Works Twitter account shared an aerial photo which shows us that paths have been dug along the road leading to the parking lot on the side of the location reserved for the 3rd Park of Disneyland Paris.

FUq2jdCWQAANtDN.jpeg

More information on the Disneyland Paris extension!

Discover more information on the news concerning the extension of Disneyland Paris. Tuesday February 27, 2018 marks an important date in the history of the Parisian Park, since Disney announced a major multi-year development plan for the Parisian Park, including the arrival of 3 new areas and an artificial lake in Walt Disney Studios Park.

Last edited:

Haymarket

French Government Grants Time Extension Through 2036 for Disneyland Paris 3rd Park Expansion

February 16, 2020 by Elise Dwight, W. DW News Today [can't include link, probably blocked]

An amendment to the agreement between the French government and Disney has allowed Disneyland Paris to take until 2036 to build a third theme park in Marne-la-Vallée (outside Paris). This extends Disney’s previous deadline to build a new theme park by ten years.

In order for the amendment to be valid, Euro Disney [Disneyland Paris Resort] must achieve an average of 22 million visitors per year by March 2036. Disneyland Paris [the entire resort] currently averages 15 million visitors annually. The new amendment also allows for another extension to be made if this threshold is not met. However, if a new park is not built and the deadline is not extended, the French government has the right to market Disney’s unused land.

Last edited:

nickys

Premium Member
Having just got back from what was my technically my second visit but the first since WDSP opened, I can’t help but think if they’re serious about increasing visitor numbers to the Studios then they need to resurrect the Galaxy Edge “lite” land.

Obviously Marvel has a huge following and Arendelle will appeal to the Disney Princess fandom, but Star Wars has a universal fan base of all generations that shows no sign of abating. The Lion King is popular but it’s not going to attract new visitors in the way that Star Wars will.

And the park desperately needs this expansion asap. Sad to think it should have been ready for next year. There is absolutely nothing attractive about the park at all right now IMO. It’s a mishmash of buildings and concrete. And yes, I did read the article and why it was designed like that but other than the small TSL and Remy courtyard the rest is just drab.

Vegas Disney Fan

Having just got back from what was my technically my second visit but the first since WDSP opened, I can’t help but think if they’re serious about increasing visitor numbers to the Studios then they need to resurrect the Galaxy Edge “lite” land.

Obviously Marvel has a huge following and Arendelle will appeal to the Disney Princess fandom, but Star Wars has a universal fan base of all generations that shows no sign of abating. The Lion King is popular but it’s not going to attract new visitors in the way that Star Wars will.

And the park desperately needs this expansion asap. Sad to think it should have been ready for next year. There is absolutely nothing attractive about the park at all right now IMO. It’s a mishmash of buildings and concrete. And yes, I did read the article and why it was designed like that but other than the small TSL and Remy courtyard the rest is just drab.
We recently returned from a trip as well and I don’t know how anyone could justify DLP getting a third park before Studios gets a complete makeover.

Avengers is now worthy of the Disney name, the Remy area is worthy of the Disney name, and Frozen is sure to be worthy of the Disney name but everything else needs serious help. Crush is a great coaster but it's surrounded by 2 spinners with no rhyme or reason, ToT is amazing but sits alone as an island, the 2 shows are great but the entrance area is fairly ugly (although this is now starting its transformation). We enjoy a lot of what's in the Studio park but overall it's still the worst Disney park.

BrianLo

That coaster is shockingly short, it’s wild how Disney will spend hundreds of millions on beautiful scenery and theming and then skimp on the actual ride length to save a million or two. They did it with 7DMT, they did it with Slinky, and now they’ve done it with this. That few million saved will mean nothing over the 30+ year life of these rides. It’s such short sighted thinking.

I think there is some confusion of the sequence of events. I don't know if it makes it better or worse.

This was not a case of being scaled down. The original pitch in HK to Legco was to have a Frozen land similar to WDSP. The money was shuffled around in the pre-existing budget to add a Barnstormer-like coaster because they felt like the land could benefit from something a little more. It received a rock work glow-up to not clash with the land.

There's no SDMT like proposal, nor is there one for WDSP. If WDSP were to receive 'something else' it would be an equal B/C. We've known for years that it would be Barnstormer with nice rock-work, but I guess that wasn't well known as I thought it was.

BrianLo

Selfishly I'm more interested in the Lion King concept as we've already done Galaxy's Edge and a lesser version, despite having Rise, doesn't really elevate the park in my eyes.

Their gutting of this parks refresh was a huge mistake, however. We're kind of getting the outlay of a much better park, without any of the pieces actually put in place. Oddly, the half failed Epcot refresh may actually have given us more.

Sir_Cliff

Selfishly I'm more interested in the Lion King concept as we've already done Galaxy's Edge and a lesser version, despite having Rise, doesn't really elevate the park in my eyes.

Their gutting of this parks refresh was a huge mistake, however. We're kind of getting the outlay of a much better park, without any of the pieces actually put in place. Oddly, the half failed Epcot refresh may actually have given us more.
I still feel a bit sceptical about a Lion King land as I just don't see how you can build one that functions as part of a working theme park and is faithful to the world of the film, but I am interested to see what they have come up with if that ends up being the second new land.

Another thing, though, which makes me lean toward Galaxy's Edge or something similar is that Frozen already seems like something that could/should have been added to Fantasyland. A Lion King land would similarly seem like something lifted from Adventureland. I really dislike that the parks are becoming so homogenous, and a Star Wars-themed land just feels more like something that fits a movie studio park more than a Magic Kingdom-style park.

Robbiem

I agree Lion King land sounds like a strange choice and wouldn’t appear to have the marketability of star wars or avatar land.

If they don’t go with star wars then avatarland would be a good fit, especially if it had an indoor area like mexico at Epcot.

Or for a unique new IP land how about nightmare before Christmas ? - I see Jack Skeleton merch all over Europe and the IP could make for some different immersive environments with great food and merch possibilities

BrianLo

I really dislike that the parks are becoming so homogenous, and a Star Wars-themed land just feels more like something that fits a movie studio park more than a Magic Kingdom-style park.

They certainly are more homogenous. Though there is irony in your statement.

Tokyo Disney Sea is by far the most MK-adjacent of all the other gates, despite how much praise it gets and we have Galaxy's Edge meanwhile in Disneyland proper. 😅

Sir_Cliff

They certainly are more homogenous. Though there is irony in your statement.

Tokyo Disney Sea is by far the most MK-adjacent of all the other gates, despite how much praise it gets and we have Galaxy's Edge meanwhile in Disneyland proper. 😅
True, though I do think TDS at least initially stuck enough to the connective tissue of 'ports' and the scale and detail was distinct enough from TDL next-door. With this whole Fantasy Springs, though, that seems to have gone out the window!

Personally, I don't think Galaxy's Edge was a great fit for Disneyland, but here we are!

Absimilliard

While WEB Slingers is a good addition and Flight Force is finally living up to its potential, Avengers Campus most crucial improvement is to food. It was what the park needed to boost capacity as previously, "Rendez-Vous des Stars" was an unpopular and lousy buffet while Blockbuster Cafe was underutilized, for the longest time only serving cold sandwiches and drinks. Their replacements which is Pym and Stark Factory are much more popular, much better food wise and helps the park a lot.

What I also think Frozen and the Lake District will bring to the table: walking space. I did some rough calculations over the weekend and when looking at attraction capacity currently, both Walt Disney Studios and Disney Hollywood Studios are surprisingly close in rider per hour numbers. Difference is the Florida park can accommodate over 35000 guests, while Walt Disney Studios struggles with 20000-25000 and feel a lot more crowded due to its small guest areas.

Disney Hollywood Studios:

Rise of the Resistance: 1600
Millennium falcon Smuggler's Run: 2000?
Star Tours: 2000-2400
Mickey Minnie Runaway Railroad: 2000?
Tower Of Terror: 1200-1400
Slinky Dog Dash: 1100
Alien Swirling Saucers: 700
Toy Story Mania: 1500
Rock n Roller Coaster: 1800
13900 pph (passenger per hour) park wide

Walt Disney Studios:

Avenger's Assemble Flight Force: 1800
WEB Slingers: 1000
Tower of Terror: 1800
Crush Coaster: 700
Cars 4 Roues Rallye: 400-500
Flying Carpets: 640
RC Racer: 400
Parachute Drop: 720
Slinky: 1000
Ratatouille: 2000
Cars Road Trip: 2000 easily
12460 pph park wide

Once Frozen Ever After and Tangled open, Walt Disney Studios will have more ride capacity than the Florida park. Frozen Ever After uses a modified Intamin Spillwater ride system with 16 passenger boats and capacity is around 1600 pph. For Tangled, the plans they filed with the city for the building permit shows 18 "boats" and if each boat can accommodate 4 riders, it can easily do 1000 riders per hour.

I am quite excited for the future after, with Project "Sun" coming soon.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom