Transformative Multi-Year Expansion Announced for WDS Paris

Daveeeeed

hopefully one day they'll all be castle parks!
Not all, but I think the scenario actually works out well at WDS. Clearly, by retaining the 'studio entrance' they are keeping the park as a studios park with some rebranding. It seems the layout will be separated by Disney's various studios: Lucasfilms, Marvel Studios, Pixar Studios, Walt Disney Animation Studios, and finally Hollywood as the entrance/hub. That's a really good way to make that park. The park has always been a tossing ground for random IP, so it's pretty much the perfect way to set it up.

It will also hopefully prevent the same from happening to DLP, where it would not be suitable to drop random IPs. By allowing abstract IPs like Marvel and Star Wars to go into WDS, DLP can hopefully switch to other popular more thematically suitable IPs like Indiana Jones.

smile

Not all, but I think the scenario actually works out well at WDS. Clearly, by retaining the 'studio entrance' they are keeping the park as a studios park with some rebranding. It seems the layout will be separated by Disney's various studios: Lucasfilms, Marvel Studios, Pixar Studios, Walt Disney Animation Studios, and finally Hollywood as the entrance/hub. That's a really good way to make that park. The park has always been a tossing ground for random IP, so it's pretty much the perfect way to set it up.

It will also hopefully prevent the same from happening to DLP, where it would not be suitable to drop random IPs. By allowing abstract IPs like Marvel and Star Wars to go into WDS, DLP can hopefully switch to other popular more thematically suitable IPs like Indiana Jones.

that was tongue in cheek, but i don't want to see homogenization, either...
but yeah, the wds expansion is certainly a worthwhile and over due upgrade/expansion - super glad it's happening.

ideally, i would prefer to reserve dlp solely for in-house ip - say, swapping frozen and indy there, but i otherwise agree with everything you said

DLRP NEWS

Poster for Marvel Land :
1521579928344.png

Rock ‘n’ Roller Coaster Starring Aerosmith is expected to close at the end of the next Christmas season and the new ride is announced for 2020

douglasrickard

Poster for Marvel Land :
View attachment 271367

Rock ‘n’ Roller Coaster Starring Aerosmith is expected to close at the end of the next Christmas season and the new ride is announced for 2020
So as each image seems to hint at each park, there seems to be a really nice looking balcony with trees high up in Paris' Avengers building.
Also after this Christmas going all the way to 2020 is a lot longer than the thorough amazing POTC and other refurbs.. so this Iron Man attraction seems to be a lot more than a quick makeover.

PDiddyLive

Having just got back from DLP over the weekend...this multi-year expansion is definitely needed! WDSP was rammed (partly because of the snow) but once the parade time came and went, the park was eerily dead already so more things to do is definitely a good thing :)

PorterRedkey

Here is the article (w/ videos) on the new Summer of Super Heroes @ DLPR.

It looks like they have put a lot tech/money into the Marvel indoor action show. It looks to be pretty cool IT HAS DRONES!

Do you think they keep this around for the new Marvel land? Right now it seems the show ends in September 2018.

For the show
Backstage at... Marvel: Super Heroes United

• A huge stage measuring over 400 m2
• A projection area measuring 1,000 m2
• One of Europe’s largest LED screens
• A 180° video experience with over 30 video projectors
• Special effects and scenic pyrotechnics
• 80 light projectors and moving stage sets The Studio Theatre at Walt Disney Studios Park has been completely reimagined to welcome this show and its cutting-edge technology
• From initial studies to the end of construction, this project will involve almost 300 professionals.
• During the season, the show will be performed up to 5 times per day.

The Marvel Summer of Super-Heroes seasonal event will be at Walt Disney Studios Park every day from June 10 through September 30, 2018.

http://disneyandmore.blogspot.com/2018/03/breaking-news-disneyland-paris-reveals.html

Stevie Amsterdam

The Tokyo DisneySea Fantamic! is performed on an open lake.
I hope they get something other than the fountain show at DCA.
I was in TDS two weeks ago and for the first time saw Fantasmic from the Arabian Coast part of the park. You should know I'm a big fan of the Japanese version of the show, but seeing it from that angle made me understand that this is not a show that can be viewed 360° if that makes sense. The show is best viewed from the Mediterranean Harbor. The backside of the sorcerer's hat was partly not lit up, nor in sync with the animations at the front side. Seeing the dragon go through the mirror from the back perspective ruined the illusion.

All I'm trying to say is that Fantasmic works well from and 180° angle, not so much 360°

dennis-in-ct

I was in TDS two weeks ago and for the first time saw Fantasmic from the Arabian Coast part of the park. You should know I'm a big fan of the Japanese version of the show, but seeing it from that angle made me understand that this is not a show that can be viewed 360° if that makes sense. The show is best viewed from the Mediterranean Harbor. The backside of the sorcerer's hat was partly not lit up, nor in sync with the animations at the front side. Seeing the dragon go through the mirror from the back perspective ruined the illusion.

All I'm trying to say is that Fantasmic works well from and 180° angle, not so much 360°

Thank you for the insight. It is very difficult to judge something by video only.

douglasrickard

Super article by Disney and more (hopefully I'm allowed to link?) http://disneyandmore.blogspot.co.uk/2018/03/disneyland-paris-update-phantom-manor.html

says re: Iron Man ride: "those of you who think that it will be just a quick lifting are in for a big, BIG surprise"
the Chaparral Theatre destruction "may hide another reason"
Disney Villages facades "start the placemaking in one year or so" (which is what I was asking the other day!)

peep

I'm intrigued with what they'll do with Iron Man, I imagine a lot of projection screens to show him flying around and things exploding etc. I hope there will be some physical sets but I don't think it's very likely. Will be a shame if the project is delayed but I think it was only last week that ED92 claimed it was closing at the end of the Christmas season and won't open till 2020.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom