Tramway project and security relocation at TTC.

zakattack99

In the Parks
No
Personally 9/11 level attacks are out of Disney's control. If someone is going to fly an airliner into a theme park nothing Disney does will stop it. However Disney can prevent shooters, knife attacks, ect. I am no expert but people that want to commit terrorist acts seem to realize that massive attacks fail more than they succeed. A large number of smaller attacks are hard to stop, especially when we can convince any nut with access to a weapon to commit acts of terror. This is a response to Paris, Orlando, boston these attacks can and have happened anywhere. This is the type of attack they look to prevent.

Moving screening areas is spreading out the impact areas (less people in one spot = less desirable target), and in the case of the TTC creates better access for first responders. It should provide for quicker screenings keeping in check the large mass of people outside the "safe zone". It also addresses the security issues with transportation, and for once looks to improve Guest experience by allowing them to travel between multiple parks without having to go through security more than once. IMO this is a much needed addition and change.

Goofyernmost

9/11 was a huge deal. Yes terrorists attacked before and since, but 3,000 US citizens died that day.

It was a big freaking deal.

Disney should have stepped up security then.
They did and I would have to guess that they did so successfully, because there have been no terrorists attacks on DLR or WDW before or after 9/11. What do you think that they should have done? I can't think of much of anything that would be all that successful that it would stop a terrorist attack more then they did. Apparently in 16 years they have not even had the need to do more. Nothing has happened.

SorcererMC

Personally 9/11 level attacks are out of Disney's control. If someone is going to fly an airliner into a theme park nothing Disney does will stop it. However Disney can prevent shooters, knife attacks, ect. I am no expert but people that want to commit terrorist acts seem to realize that massive attacks fail more than they succeed. A large number of smaller attacks are hard to stop, especially when we can convince any nut with access to a weapon to commit acts of terror. This is a response to Paris, Orlando, boston these attacks can and have happened anywhere. This is the type of attack they look to prevent.

Moving screening areas is spreading out the impact areas (less people in one spot = less desirable target), and in the case of the TTC creates better access for first responders. It should provide for quicker screenings keeping in check the large mass of people outside the "safe zone". It also addresses the security issues with transportation, and for once looks to improve Guest experience by allowing them to travel between multiple parks without having to go through security more than once. IMO this is a much needed addition and change.

This. I was about to say: The nature of the threat has changed since 9/11 (from large-scale one-off events carried out by a centralized organization to multiple small-scale low-tech attacks by people with loose affiliations).

Thus, this is a smart move on Disney's part to adapt their security strategy and mitigate the threat as needed...while also having the benefit of being able to better manage today's guest volume, eg removing or down-sizing bottlenecks.

Creathir

They did and I would have to guess that they did so successfully, because there have been no terrorists attacks on DLR or WDW before or after 9/11. What do you think that they should have done? I can't think of much of anything that would be all that successful that it would stop a terrorist attack more then they did. Apparently in 16 years they have not even had the need to do more. Nothing has happened.
Very true. And there is something to be said about that.

But given the attack just last year in Orlando, I'd have to agree these changes are to address that situation.

stini228

Was at the TTC tonight...there are now tram queue railings up behind the purple lines in the photo below.

Talked to a parking coordinator this evening and the person confirmed that they are pushing security to the current loading area.

screen-shot-2017-03-03-at-1-03-57-pm-png.192303

Also, there is a white tent structure up between the resort bus stops and the MK entrance. Not sure if that is old news but I had not noticed it before:

image.jpeg

Surfin' Tuna

I saw those tents last night leaving the park as well and wondered if they had been discussed here. I'm glad you snapped a picture. I guess that's where they will screen bus and contemporary walkers, but I don't see where they plan to screen people coming off the resort boats or monorails. There's no real room to add security between the hotels and monorail at the hotels. All in all I think this is a good and smart move on many levels. It does seem a roll-out could be coming for spring break; that shouldn't cause any confusion at all with the increased crowds and new system at once. We'll be visiting the in-laws up north during spring break this year. Disney finally found a way to make me happy I was going to be visiting them.

Goofyernmost

Very true. And there is something to be said about that.

But given the attack just last year in Orlando, I'd have to agree these changes are to address that situation.
I certainly do agree and that is what they are doing. That guy walked right through the front door. At least they can attempt to head off that kind of crazy.

Obobru

Half heartedly for a decade and a half. Most Corporations, airports heck even sports arenas got on the mega improvements after 9/11. I watched in the months after what they did to both the Sears Tower and Hancock in Chicago. I admire the master plan of Uni-Florida. So much easier to xray a backpack then one by one rifle through guests bags which I wonder just how efficient that is. The metal detectors could have come immediately after 9/11 given a bit of time from order to delivery. The effectiveness of 2016 randomly selecting a small percentage of guests to go through the metal detectors? I don't know, Im kinda disappointed in Disney 2017-given all this time I had more faith in the Corporation to have rolled out a more comprehensive grand plan for WDW. I don't believe anything is foolproof anywhere but I'd be lying to myself to believe Disney has a good grasp on effectiveness and efficiency when it comes to guests and their security methodology.

th
I couldn't find the stats but clearly you feel the security isn't working and Disney is a massive target so please do let us know how many terrorist attacks the parks have had in the past 15 years.

Seems everyone wants to live in fear and create mythical threats that don't exist anywhere but in peoples minds. If a terrorist does attack anywhere it will usually be easy places where no one is expecting.

Last edited:

zakattack99

In the Parks
No
Have there been discussions for security screening areas for the proposed gondola system stations?

EPCOT yes, I believe Martin said that they will move the screening location back from international gateway to beyond the new station. Guests wanting to take a Godola or go to EPCOT will go through the same screening. I would imagine that the resort stations will have screening at the station like the Monorail or boat docks. No idea about HS, but the plans have it disrupting some of the bus stops so maybe a reconfiguration of the entrance plaza is in the works?

Casper Gutman

They'll be screened before they board.

So they're essentially adopting the model used by Universal, with security checkpoints at every dock and monorail platform (and, presumably, the paths from the Grand and Contemporary). The way MK is laid out, this seems... inefficient.

I apologize if I missed it, but since there will now be checkpoints at every monorail platform, do we expect them to start limiting use of the resort monorail to those staying at one of the Disney resorts?

Goofyernmost

So they're essentially adopting the model used by Universal, with security checkpoints at every dock and monorail platform (and, presumably, the paths from the Grand and Contemporary). The way MK is laid out, this seems... inefficient.

I apologize if I missed it, but since there will now be checkpoints at every monorail platform, do we expect them to start limiting use of the resort monorail to those staying at one of the Disney resorts?
They are only checking that when people are boarding from the resorts. Anyone else is being checked at TTC previous to boarding any monorail and possibly Epcot (for monorails) Where people are going is of no concern, it is what they are bringing with them. They wouldn't jeopardize the public from touring the resorts, many reservations come about because of that pass time.

Creathir

I would doubt it.
That would hurt dining sales.

WDWtraveler

Photo update as of Saturday, Mar 11. New pedestrian "guide rails" are being installed next to the vehicle barrier posts in the middle of the tramway area. This appears to be the beginning of a new loading/unloading area. Remaining to be built would be a shelter to protect guests from rain and sun. The current tram loading/unloading shelters are in the background.

IMG_9353.JPG

IMG_9355.JPG

As a comparison, here is the current guest waiting area under the shelter, using posts and chains. You might recall, the posts and chains used to extend to the right all the way to the vehicle barrier posts here. Two rows of posts and chains have been removed. My guess is to permit construction of the new security area under the current shelters.

IMG_9366.JPG

JoeCamel

Photo update as of Saturday, Mar 11. New pedestrian "guide rails" are being installed next to the vehicle barrier posts in the middle of the tramway area. This appears to be the beginning of a new loading/unloading area. Remaining to be built would be a shelter to protect guests from rain and sun. The current tram loading/unloading shelters are in the background.

View attachment 193475

View attachment 193476
As a comparison, here is the current guest waiting area under the shelter, using posts and chains. You might recall, the posts and chains used to extend to the right all the way to the vehicle barrier posts here. Two rows of posts and chains have been removed. My guess is to permit construction of the new security area under the current shelters.

View attachment 193477
Powdercoated steel vs stainless posts and chains. How magical

Goofyernmost

Powdercoated steel vs stainless posts and chains. How magical
I see that as a step up compared to the rusty chains that kids were constantly swinging from as we watched to see how big a cranium disfigurement they were going to get from hitting the pavement with their heads. I see nothing wrong with the powder-coated steel. The others weren't stainless anyway, they were galvanized pipes.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom