Tramway project and security relocation at TTC.

Goofyernmost

Why couldn't they just put security areas just before you board the transportation? There is plenty of room at the entrance to the ferry and sufficient at the two entrances of the Monorails. Speaking of which, since the Monorail from Epcot is outside the actual park... where do people riding that get scanned. It would be so much easier to just have it as you enter each park then to piecemeal the entire thing in small containment areas. And if someone was coming from Epcot to MK, would they have to go through security before boarding the Monorail at Epcot and then again before transportation to MK at TTC? And conversely from MK to Epcot?

Figment2005

Why couldn't they just put security areas just before you board the transportation? There is plenty of room at the entrance to the ferry and sufficient at the two entrances of the Monorails. Speaking of which, since the Monorail from Epcot is outside the actual park... where do people riding that get scanned. It would be so much easier to just have it as you enter each park then to piecemeal the entire thing in small containment areas. And if someone was coming from Epcot to MK, would they have to go through security before boarding the Monorail at Epcot and then again before transportation to MK at TTC? And conversely from MK to Epcot?
That would still leave the majority of the TTC unsecured.

DisneyJeff

In the Parks
No

The monorail at Epcot is within the secure area. I found this out the hard way when I wanted to take a bus from Epcot to the Grand Floridian. Apparently, there isn't one. The monorail was the only option. In order to get to the monorail platform, I had to go back through security.

If I understand this plan correctly, all guests will have to go through a security checkpoint before boarding any monorail. This includes the parks, TTC, and all resorts. This will allow all guests arriving at either the MK or Epcot to bypass security and walk directly to the turnstiles.

I think the boat transportation (at least at the MK resorts) will be the same. You would go through security before boarding.

Goofyernmost

That would still leave the majority of the TTC unsecured.
So what... The parking lot is not secured, the road leading into the property is not secured. They cannot be expected to be able to cover all the property. There may be a threat, or maybe there isn't, however, we are going to all have to build an impenetrable box that we cannot leave, if we don't come in control of our cowardly way of thinking. Driving your car, has killed more people in one day than all the terrorist attacks put together. We have got to get a grip, take as many precautions as are feasible and generally point a middle finger at those that might try to destroy us. We are never 100% safe, ever! We need to get over the thought that we can be.

Last edited:

jt04

should scan our eyes too....maybe have big robots scan the crowds and if something isnt right boom shoot it up...i kid i kid....you guys are scared of so much these days.

My biggest concern is avoiding overwhelming queues and believing in "value added" benefits.

Figment2005

So what... The parking lot is not secured, the road leading into the property is not secured. They cannot be expected to be able to cover all the property. There may be a threat, or maybe there isn't, however, we are going to all have to build an impenetrable box that we cannot leave, if we don't come in control of our cowardly way of thinking. Driving your car, has killed more people in one day than all the terrorist attacks put together. We have got to get a grip, take as many precautions as are feasible and generally point a middle finger at those that might try and destroy us. We are never 100% safe, ever! We need to get over the thought that we can be.
You asked why, and I gave the reason.

Goofyernmost

You asked why, and I gave the reason.
I understand and I merely got a little deeper into why to me it makes no sense to worry about a few hundred square feet of the TTC might not be secured and why all of us need to calm down and accept the world as it is at this point. Hopefully some day it will change, probably not until all the crazies have killed each other off, but, someday who knows.

Biff215

I understand and I merely got a little deeper into why to me it makes no sense to worry about a few hundred square feet of the TTC might not be secured and why all of us need to calm down and accept the world as it is at this point. Hopefully some day it will change, probably not until all the crazies have killed each other off, but, someday who knows.
But it's not just about the TTC. It's about protecting the iconic monorail, which could be a target and would be devastating to the Disney brand. It's also about spreading the security out some so it's not all concentrated at the entrance that was never designed to handle those kinds of crowds.

I certainly agree with you that this is far from perfect and I also wish it wasn't even a thought. It's the world we live in though, and whether Disney is looking out for guests or just its own image, it's something they have to do or risk greater consequences if and when something does happen.

Surfin' Tuna

One thing Disney could do is train their security guards at the gate to be a little nicer. The last couple of times they have been just plain rude. I know a lot of the guests are not the nicest, but we have had several run-ins with security CMs the last few weeks that ruin the mood for the next couple of hours. I remember not too long ago when Disney felt the need to actually be nice to guests.

Goofyernmost

But it's not just about the TTC. It's about protecting the iconic monorail, which could be a target and would be devastating to the Disney brand. It's also about spreading the security out some so it's not all concentrated at the entrance that was never designed to handle those kinds of crowds.

I certainly agree with you that this is far from perfect and I also wish it wasn't even a thought. It's the world we live in though, and whether Disney is looking out for guests or just its own image, it's something they have to do or risk greater consequences if and when something does happen.
What about all those miles of Monorail track the runs within rock throwing distance from World Drive. This is what I mean the idea that we are going crazy about things that are not completely solvable.

Goofyernmost

One thing Disney could do is train their security guards at the gate to be a little nicer. The last couple of times they have been just plain rude. I know a lot of the guests are not the nicest, but we have had several run-ins with security CMs the last few weeks that ruin the mood for the next couple of hours. I remember not too long ago when Disney felt the need to actually be nice to guests.
Security Guards are not there to be all sugary and sweet. They are there to protect you from harm and that is there only function. I'm sure that if they are rude, it was because some dip-wad decided to make a comment about them and how they alone should be exempt from a search because they are special and have an honest looking face. I don't want my protectors to be looking at me with a goofy grin. However, I have never once had any one of them be anything but polite.

Perhaps it is because I have things ready to be looked at, I haven't brought a whole household full of items with me for a day in a theme park and have been polite and courteous with them. Everyone needs to know that they are not part of the fantasy and magic other then to try and prevent disasters from happening. They have a specific job to do and one that isn't appreciated and is looked at as an insult to their honesty and an infringement on their time in the parks. Sorry, but, those that complain would be the first ones crying about it if something happened.

Last edited:

Slowjack

What about all those miles of Monorail track the runs within rock throwing distance from World Drive. This is what I mean the idea that we are going crazy about things that are not completely solvable.
I agree with you 100%. There's simply no way to secure WDW or indeed to even make it substantially more secure than it was before they started any "security" checks. This kind of security can discourage what we might call casual troublemakers, e.g., teens who might bring in a knife because they think it's cool and then end up using the knife if they got into an argument. But it won't prevent, slow down, or worry a determined attacker who just wants to sow death and destruction. As you say, there's always another target or another approach. In these situations I'm often reminded of this interview I read with a guy who runs airport security in Tel Aviv, where he was complaining about the uselessness of the TSA, saying, "In America, you don't have a system for securing people. You have a system for bothering people."

Last edited:

Tom P.

In these situations I'm often reminded of this interview I read with a guy who runs airport security in Tel Aviv, where he was complaining about the uselessness of the TSA, saying, "In America, you don't have a system for securing people. You have a system for bothering people."
That is a FANTASTIC quote that I will definitely remember. Of all the useless agencies ever created by our benevolent overlords in the federal government, the TSA is perhaps the single most useless. But it's also one of the ones that people would scream the loudest about if you tried to eliminate or even restructure. So I guess we're stuck with it.

Biff215

There will always be something to target, but it's about protecting what they can. Moving security away from the MK entrance seems to be the main goal here, not just to eliminate a soft target but also for general safety.

We can beat this to death and still disagree about security, but have you ever been stuck in the mass of people after getting off a bus, boat, or monorail? I don't know how anyone can feel safe there in the event of an emergency, so I applaud Disney for seeking alternatives. There is much more space to work with on the TTC side of the lagoon, that's a simple fact.

Creathir

just to eliminate a soft target but also for general safety.

Watch out, I received a dissertation and was told to shut up for using language like that last Friday in another thread... Apparently someone thought I was saying that to make myself feel "smarter"...

Back on topic, I believe this is more about doing what they reasonably can. Moving the security screening away from the main gate has the added benefit of not having camera phone footage of some terrible incident at the security line in front of the main entrance to the most visited theme park on the world... the train station, the Mickey topiary... It also allows for better staging and a less visible "line".

mm121

if we just accept it the bad people win

the primary reason for doing security like planned in the diagram, is that it allows passage from epcot to MK 'within" the bubble, meaning guests dont have to go thru security twice

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom