Tramway project and security relocation at TTC.

COProgressFan

Never happen. The resorts have stores. Anything that interferes will the ability to sell something will be stopped in its tracks.

I agree with you, but we've seen that Disney is seriously considering parking fees at resorts which could significantly affect dining and shopping. Anything is possible at this point, sadly.

jt04

I agree with you, but we've seen that Disney is seriously considering parking fees at resorts which could significantly affect dining and shopping. Anything is possible at this point, sadly.

It is a double-edged sword that could yield a lot of benefits if done creatively. I don't mind paying more for an enhanced guest experience. Including utilizing new tech such as magicbands. Even parking fees might prove worthwhile.

rushtest4echo

I welcome the changes especially if it utilizes all the new tech to enhance the guest experience. Including value added benefits. All this seems way overdue.

Not sure if you're being facetious. But any benefits to moving/updating security procedures are lost on us. Americans are too stupid to use the system employed at Paris, where you simply place your bags onto a scanner and pick them up on the other side:

IMG_4015.jpg~original

Is it weird that one of the things I miss the most about "old Disney World" was the ability to just drive up, walk to the gate, and visit the park? I really do miss being able to step off the Monorail at Magic Kingdom and EPCOT and just walk in. Security was there, but it was out of sight, out of mind. No corrals for security. No fences marring the open entry spaces. No metal detectors and armies of bag checkers and police cars park in front of the parks. Magic Kingdom and EPCOT opened in an era when more people, not less, died from terror attacks around the globe. In the 70's and 80's mass casualty events related to terrorism were far beyond what they are today. I understand that people don't comprehend that and I understand that it sounds totally irrational for me to get mad at additional security. I wouldn't be mad at if it were effective and convenient- the issue is that it's currently neither.

So instead we're relegated to standing in lines 10-20 deep waiting for a guard to fiddle through a bag for several minutes and scold the guest for not unzipping everything. That is of course after they waive the stroller and ECV through without doing more than eyeballing them (because it would never occur to someone with bad motives to pack weapons into a seat cushion in an ECV). Last week, my wife had a small bag not even capable of fitting a firearm into it and needed to wait through the queue to have it checked. She was then given additional screening at the metal detectors. I walked through the "no bags" area and wasn't stopped for additional screening despite having a decently thick coat on which could have concealed plenty of things. And I probably fit much of the profile that security is trained to specifically give additional scrutiny. By myself (approaching the checkpoint, that is), middle aged, male, darkish complexion, wearing a coat when it wasn't very cold (I despise all temps below 60!)

I hope that the new screening points alleviate the problems at the gate and I hope they allow the process to go more quickly and smoothly. Unfortunately the opposite is likely to be the case, since now there's little incentive to just "get people through" so the gate area doesn't clog up. Now they can staff fewer guards, allow lines to get bigger (which is probably why the tram area is being pushed back, to deal with the 30-40 deep lines that are about to become commonplace). All for something that results in negligible benefits to actual security. Oh well, that's not why it's there. Much like TSA, it's there to placate the herd who can't read findings of private and government security firms with the worlds top security experts- most of which deride all of this security theatre and would actually conclude that risks to the new soft target bag check result in less security, not more.

Last edited:

jt04

Not sure if you're being facetious. But any benefits to moving/updating security procedures are lost on us. Americans are too stupid to use the system employed at Paris, where you simply place your bags onto a scanner and pick them up on the other side:

IMG_4015.jpg~original

So instead we're relegated to standing in lines 10-20 deep waiting for a guard to fiddle through a bag for several minutes and scold the guest for not unzipping everything. That is of course after they waive the stroller and ECV through without doing more than eyeballing them (because it would never occur to someone with bad motives to pack weapons into a seat cushion in an ECV). Last week, my wife had a small bag not even capable of fitting a firearm into it and needed to wait through the queue to have it checked. She was then given additional screening at the metal detectors. I walked through the "no bags" area and wasn't stopped for additional screening despite having a decently thick coat on which could have concealed plenty of things. And I probably fit much of the profile that security is trained to specifically give additional scrutiny. By myself, middle aged, darkish complexion, wearing a coat when it wasn't very cold (I despise all temps below 60!)

I hope that the new screening points alleviate the problems at the gate and I hope they allow the process to go more quickly and smoothly. Unfortunately the opposite is likely to be the case, since now there's little incentive to just "get people through" so the gate area doesn't clog up. Now they can staff fewer guards, allow lines to get bigger (which is probably why the tram area is being pushed back, to deal with the 30-40 deep lines that are about to become commonplace). All for something that results in negligible benefits to actual security. Oh well, that's not why it's there. Much like TSA, it's there to placate the herd who can't read findings of private and government security firms with the worlds top security experts- most of which deride all of this security theatre and would actually conclude that risks to the new soft target bag check result in less security, not more.

I agree their will be growing pains but I can also see things evolving towards 'Hogwarts Express' type solutions. And that could be just the tip of the iceberg for a company as imaginative as Disney.

rushtest4echo

What keeps execs up at night?

Some catastrophe happening at or near one of the parks.

I'm all for this. It is the new norm.

No doubt, now if all of this had any meaningful effect on preventing those things, i bet the managers might sleep a bit easier. Instead they're probably like airport managers and the FAA- pi**ed off at the enormous staffing, structural changes, costs, and inconvenience that all of this stuff is causing and then wondering why it's all being done if there are no measurable benefits to safety.

I'm all for more safety and security, but this isn't that unfortunately. They're powerless to act against DHS mandates/recommendations though- much like airports- regardless of how ill-planned and nonsensical those directives happen to be. Ron Iden has confirmed that publicly and privately.

Viget

Not to beat a dead horse, but multiple people have asked and I've yet to see a definitive answer: How will the security be handled for people walking to TTC from the Poly? Will there be a security checkpoint there? Or will we have to get in line with all the others coming from the parking lot?

Reason I ask is that for those of us who are DVC, it's a heck of a lot more convenient to walk to TTC and take the EPCOT monorail directly rather than going all the way around the resort loop just to transfer at TTC for EPCOT. If instead, one has to wait in these ridiculously long lines with the rest of the folks from the parking lot, that advantage is pretty much negated.

rushtest4echo

^ It's been addressed on this page as far as MK is concerned.

Yes, you'll be corralled into the same security point as the people exiting buses next to that path. Incoming buses are checked at the gate and will continue to be after these changes. The monorails will no longer be accessible unless you've been through a bad check on any end, that includes trying to board the monorail at the TTC.

Last edited:

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
What keeps execs up at night?

Some catastrophe happening at or near one of the parks.

I'm all for this. It is the new norm.

Umm... I highly doubt DI$ execs lose any sleep around security measures at WDW. Other than how much they cost to implement and on-going CM costs, of course.

"... enhance the arrival experience..." :facepalm: :banghead: I'm surprised they didn't throw in a line about "guest surveys" and/or "guest demand".

Wrangler-Rick

Just Horsing Around…
Premium Member
Umm... I highly doubt DI$ execs lose any sleep around security measures at WDW. Other than how much they cost to implement and on-going CM costs, of course.

"... enhance the arrival experience..." :facepalm: :banghead: I'm surprised they didn't throw in a line about "guest surveys" and/or "guest demand".

Will FastPasses be available? :rolleyes:

Jeffxz

Not to beat a dead horse, but multiple people have asked and I've yet to see a definitive answer: How will the security be handled for people walking to TTC from the Poly? Will there be a security checkpoint there? Or will we have to get in line with all the others coming from the parking lot?

Reason I ask is that for those of us who are DVC, it's a heck of a lot more convenient to walk to TTC and take the EPCOT monorail directly rather than going all the way around the resort loop just to transfer at TTC for EPCOT. If instead, one has to wait in these ridiculously long lines with the rest of the folks from the parking lot, that advantage is pretty much negated.

^ It's been addressed on this page as far as MK is concerned.

Yes, you'll be corralled into the same security point as the people exiting buses next to that path. Incoming buses are checked at the gate and will continue to be after these changes. The monorails will no longer be accessible unless you've been through a bad check on any end, that includes trying to board the monorail at the TTC.

@Viget is asking about the poly, not the contemporary which I assume you are describing here.

I haven't seen a definitive answer on the poly question yet, but I agree with you that DVC members wouldn't be happy about closing that path. The worst case scenario seems to be that you might have to walk over to the tram security screening area if they don't put a dedicated check at the end of that path.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom