Tramway project and security relocation at TTC.

peter11435

When I worked there from Jan-August 2015, there was no security.

Where did you work? I know as far back as 2006 cast had to go through security to get backstage at animal kingdom, magic kingdom, and Epcot. Granted it was no more than showing an ID and the occasional bag check, but really that's all it is now too.

mm121

The MK and Epcot are no fly zones for privacy and theme reasons. The "security" angle was a way to implement it.

A plane overflying at 3001 ft would be at ground level within seconds. Way before anything could be done.

There again you could have a car wreck tomorrow. Live for the now. When the end comes it'll come.
oh didnt realize the no fly zone was just more like a no fly dome only up to 3000 ft, versus like a no fly no fly cylinder all the way up to the sky sky.

3000ft doesnt really prevent anything, just keeps drones and sightseeing planes away

what happens if someone violates it? as i know they dont summon fighter jets like they do for the president which caused a sonic boom in south florida

Next Big Thing

Where did you work? I know as far back as 2006 cast had to go through security to get backstage at animal kingdom, magic kingdom, and Epcot. Granted it was no more than showing an ID and the occasional bag check, but really that's all it is now too.
I worked at MK. And yes, we had to show ID, but we didn't go through a bag check or metal detector (which CMs now do)

Biff215

They do not. Still just an ID.
Wow...IMO they should be screened the same as guests. Definitely a bag check and possibly metal detectors. There are too many CM's and they're apparently not checking their backgrounds. If someone wants to do real harm, this could be a wide open door.

I'm all for moving security away from the front of MK. During peak times, it simply doesn't feel safe and I'm not even claustrophobic. Beyond terrorism, there would also be a real problem if they needed to quickly evacuate that area for any reason. It's an accident waiting to happen and wasn't designed for the size of today's crowds as well as today's security, effective or not.

Goofyernmost

Wow...IMO they should be screened the same as guests. Definitely a bag check and possibly metal detectors. There are too many CM's and they're apparently not checking their backgrounds. If someone wants to do real harm, this could be a wide open door.

I'm all for moving security away from the front of MK. During peak times, it simply doesn't feel safe and I'm not even claustrophobic. Beyond terrorism, there would also be a real problem if they needed to quickly evacuate that area for any reason. It's an accident waiting to happen and wasn't designed for the size of today's crowds as well as today's security, effective or not.
When entering Universal I noticed what appeared to be a "separate, but, equal" TM entrance. I didn't look real close, but, I'm pretty sure they had to scan their bags, empty the pockets and go through the metal detector just like everyone else. It was just that they had their own security area.

Biff215

I fail to see the link between a person smoking a joint and being a security risk?
I think the point is they're not doing the most basic checks that many employers do, not that there is necessarily a link to crime or terrorism. I strongly believe they should at least be screening their CM's entering the parks the same way as guests.

Next Big Thing

When entering Universal I noticed what appeared to be a "separate, but, equal" TM entrance. I didn't look real close, but, I'm pretty sure they had to scan their bags, empty the pockets and go through the metal detector just like everyone else. It was just that they had their own security area.
Yes, Universal TMs definitely go through ACTUAL security. Both at the parking garage or if they enter from the backstage parking lot.

roj2323

Original Poster
Talked to a parking coordinator this evening and the person confirmed that they are pushing security to the current loading area.
I'm pretty sure the colored part is just a plastic cap covering the steel bollard underneath. Should be pretty easy to repaint/change the color of them in the future.

Pretty sure we're looking at a new load/unload area for the parking trams taking shape. The bollards are very similar to what already exists at the current TTC loading areas. Wouldn't be surprised if something like this is what is being built over time:

View attachment 192303

screen-shot-2017-03-03-at-1-03-57-pm-png.192303

Talked to a parking coordinator this evening and the person confirmed that they are pushing security to the current loading area like the the picture above.

articos

More room to work with by putting security pre-TTC, and it puts the monorails and ferryboats - all expensive assets that could be unique targets - within the secure green zone. The other reason is optics. The parking lots are still somewhat outside world, with all the negatives that go with that. Rather the security apparatus be there, rather than in front of the park gates taking you out of the fantasy or interrupting the anticipation of your day in the park.

Jon81uk

Would switching to X-Ray and metal dectector arches the same as Universal have done speed things up at Disney compared to the manual bag checks?

RobidaFlats

The other reason is optics. The parking lots are still somewhat outside world, with all the negatives that go with that. Rather the security apparatus be there, rather than in front of the park gates taking you out of the fantasy or interrupting the anticipation of your day in the park.

I'm glad that this still matters to at least one decision maker somewhere. I have a feeling that this will also do a lot to calm some of the annoyance with the process. Being wanded within spitting distance of MSUSA will always seem more annoying than experiencing the same thing at the end of a giant parking lot.

hpyhnt 1000

More room to work with by putting security pre-TTC, and it puts the monorails and ferryboats - all expensive assets that could be unique targets - within the secure green zone. The other reason is optics. The parking lots are still somewhat outside world, with all the negatives that go with that. Rather the security apparatus be there, rather than in front of the park gates taking you out of the fantasy or interrupting the anticipation of your day in the park.

This change to screening at the TTC makes a lot of sense. From a crowding standpoint, it should be easier for CMs to screen a tram load at a time (200-250 people) rather than the old setup at the MK entrance where it could be an overwhelming stampede of people for hours. And for guests, it should mean less waiting and be much easier to return any prohibited items to their car (or hotel room if staying at a MK resort) becuase you won't have to travel 20 minutes each way to drop something off.

Even better if we can get some design updates to the TTC. New landscaping, paint, and removing those tacky metal arches would go a long way.

COProgressFan

This change to screening at the TTC makes a lot of sense. From a crowding standpoint, it should be easier for CMs to screen a tram load at a time (200-250 people) rather than the old setup at the MK entrance where it could be an overwhelming stampede of people for hours. And for guests, it should mean less waiting and be much easier to return any prohibited items to their car (or hotel room if staying at a MK resort) becuase you won't have to travel 20 minutes each way to drop something off.

Even better if we can get some design updates to the TTC. New landscaping, paint, and removing those tacky metal arches would go a long way.

I also hope the security changes at the TTC will also include a refresh of the entire TTC. The entire setup no longer corresponds with the way the TTC is used today, and the cosmetic improvements they made in the 90's look terrible today. Ugly 70's architecture, harsh fluorescent lighting, and a peeling 90's paint job don't exactly make the start and end of the day for MK car guests especially magical. Especially when you consider that even some moderate upgrades would not really cost much at all in the whole scheme of things. Crossing my fingers something happens here.

Big Hair

I probably missed it in the thread but merits a repeat if so. CM's should at least have a finger print check with their ID swipe whenever they enter onto property. There are many ways to get instruments of destruction into the park, large or small, but you need a person, for the most part , to implement the plan. It just seems like it would be easy to get an ID card and copy an identity of a cast member to get access inside property.

matt9112

Good to hear. Should require magic bands for resort guests and APs. Same for rumored gondolas.

should scan our eyes too....maybe have big robots scan the crowds and if something isnt right boom shoot it up...i kid i kid....you guys are scared of so much these days.

matt9112

I probably missed it in the thread but merits a repeat if so. CM's should at least have a finger print check with their ID swipe whenever they enter onto property. There are many ways to get instruments of destruction into the park, large or small, but you need a person, for the most part , to implement the plan. It just seems like it would be easy to get an ID card and copy an identity of a cast member to get access inside property.

i tend to agree CMs would be a higher threat than regular guests...access to special areas and knowledge of the layout backstage and so fourth. a regular guest could just attack the new security check point no? hopefully the new checks have a massive throughput. makes me wonder how much "safety" is costing us in rides or new ventures. Tons of new employees and such are not free.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom