Trail’s End Restaurant closing this Spring to reopen with a new concept

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
They're going to increase prices by switching from an all-you-can-eat TS buffet to an a la carte quick service?

I guarantee you the check average will be going down here, not to mention the switch from a tipped workforce to a non-tipped workforce. There might be a cynical explanation to the change, but this one ain't it. Or just maybe they had feedback that the resort needed a QS option and this is a customer service play. Crazy talk, right?
Trails end was relatively cheap for buffet.

And remember the quick serve is more profitable even at their sit down prices…higher turn/yield and per dollar of cost revenue…generally speaking.

They wouldn’t be doing it if it wasn’t to make more - because today is a day ending in “y”

note2001

Disney Corporate defines "Value" as the ability to sell garbage at a premium price.

WDW has removed the ability for any young family on a small budget to visit WDW and keep the family fed without hitting up a grocery store or delivery service.

As a single parent with three kids, and zero financial help outside of my own income, I found interesting ways to stretch a dollar. At that time Disney had a few options. I'd treat the kids to one character breakfast buffet per trip. At that time I could feed all 4 of us for under $60... yes.. that included tax and tip, and no that was not all that long ago.

Trails End was one of the dinner buffets I could afford and the kids enjoyed.
(The absolute worst value was Boma)

The main reason I bought DVC was so we'd have a proper kitchenette with fridge, sink and countertop to bring the skillet and make our own meals. It worked out amazingly well.

I cannot picture any family on a similar budget (and there are many) being able to afford Disney these day.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Disney Corporate defines "Value" as the ability to sell garbage at a premium price.

WDW has removed the ability for any young family on a small budget to visit WDW and keep the family fed without hitting up a grocery store or delivery service.

As a single parent with three kids, and zero financial help outside of my own income, I found interesting ways to stretch a dollar. At that time Disney had a few options. I'd treat the kids to one character breakfast buffet per trip. At that time I could feed all 4 of us for under $60... yes.. that included tax and tip, and no that was not all that long ago.

Trails End was one of the dinner buffets I could afford and the kids enjoyed.
(The absolute worst value was Boma)

The main reason I bought DVC was so we'd have a proper kitchenette with fridge, sink and countertop to bring the skillet and make our own meals. It worked out amazingly well.
…I’ve been saying for years a warning that scumbag Bob (and he is one…) has been draining the customer pool unwisely and the damage will continue to build over time.

Just to use your example (bravo…by the way…) those 3 single parent kids could grow to be 3 large families with even larger extended families with ripe incomes…so how stupid is it to discard them?

Disney should care not for quarterlies and Wall Street…it’s not what got them there.

CaptainAmerica

Trails end was relatively cheap for buffet.

And remember the quick serve is more profitable even at their sit down prices…higher turn/yield and per dollar of cost revenue…generally speaking.

They wouldn’t be doing it if it wasn’t to make more - because today is a day ending in “y”
Of course they're doing it "to make more money" but that's also why they care about guest satisfaction. If everyone hates something, it doesn't matter what the margin is.

Yes, people with loads of money can do more stuff than people with only a little bit of money.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Of course they're doing it "to make more money" but that's also why they care about guest satisfaction. If everyone hates something, it doesn't matter what the margin is.
If it’s empty, then yes. People as “high priced hostages”?…they Have no issue. There’s a standoff at le cellier and pizzafari daily.
One trend I’ve notice these last couple years - the “chapek era” - is a growing belief on forums that guest satisfactions numbers are far more of a deal than it is. That’s fans self soothing themselves - again. Just reverse engineered this time. “Disney won’t want bad feedback…so they’ll do it the best!…for me!!!”
We’ve seen this fish before.

Yes, people with loads of money can do more stuff than people with only a little bit of money.
You can’t disagree without being an overt A-hat, man…give it a try

MagicRat

We would take the boat and get the quick service side and a drink at the outside window.

Seems what they are making is similar to the wind and waves at Vero Beach. For a resort like Vero Beach and the Campground it makes sense.

Now for those of us that like to take the inter resort boats over there, I agree it’s a shame but I guess the first problem is Contemporary Hotel’s handling of paying for the inter-boats. I hope those sailors have jobs somewhere else.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
We would take the boat and get the quick service side and a drink at the outside window.

Seems what they are making is similar to the wind and waves at Vero Beach. For a resort like Vero Beach and the Campground it makes sense.

Now for those of us that like to take the inter resort boats over there, I agree it’s a shame but I guess the first problem is Contemporary Hotel’s handling of paying for the inter-boats. I hope those sailors have jobs somewhere else.
You know the same guy owns everything and makes billions of profit there a year, right?

MagicRat

You know the same guy owns everything and makes billions of profit there a year, right?
Is it just one guy? If I am reading as little as you read into my post, I would suggest you might be a jilted lover.
5BB781AB-0128-41E6-8D25-7FB9D92F690B.jpeg

AMartin7777

What we have is yet another example of the slow disintegration into mediocrity that Disney is now staking it's reputation on. This will become another overtly bland, generic and uninspired quick service location that will be indistinguishable from the rest. This location will become the same bland, ubiquitous offerings you can find in any other resort quick service. Originality is dead at Disney. Long live mediocrity and the repetitious rubber stamp.

KOA camp stores will have a more interesting selection.

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

What we have is yet another example of the slow disintegration into mediocrity that Disney is now staking it's reputation on. This will become another overtly bland, generic and uninspired quick service location that will be indistinguishable from the rest. This location will become the same bland, ubiquitous offerings you can find in any other resort quick service. Originality is dead at Disney. Long live mediocrity and the repetitious rubber stamp.

KOA camp stores will have a more interesting selection.
You're defending steam pans of mediocre fried chicken as a paragon of quality and originality.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
You're defending steam pans of mediocre fried chicken as a paragon of quality and originality.
You know that’s the hoop dee doo food, right?

It’s not fantastic…but sometimes things don’t have to be “overpriced and $h!tty” by decree.

Sometimes you’re astounding when you miss why wdw ever worked to begin with?

CaptainAmerica

You know that’s the hoop dee doo food, right?
It sucks at Hoop Dee Doo too.

Hoop Dee Doo isn't a $70 meal, it's a $70 show where they feed you out of a sense of obligation.

I love Hoop, but it's for the show, not the chicken, which somehow manages to be both greasy and dry at the same time.

EDIT: Actually, the cornbread is amazing. I would crawl over broken glass for that cornbread.

note2001

Hoop Dee Doo isn't a $70 meal, it's a $70 show where they feed you out of a sense of obligation.

I love Hoop, but it's for the show, not the chicken, which somehow manages to be both greasy and dry at the same time.

EDIT: Actually, the cornbread is amazing. I would crawl over broken glass for that cornbread.
I think people like the bottomless beer that comes with the meal. Enough of that plus the corny show and people remember the night as being amazing, food and all.

The food sucked, and that is the exact food, plus a couple of more dishes that the buffet offered. It was okay and not much more, but when you have picky eaters it was great.

Last edited:

Disstevefan1

Ah yes, removing a buffet line is a well-known quality reduction technique.

Buffets are not a good value.

Internet rumors aren't an "excuse." Disney never said "this is closed because HDD is closed." People do this all the time. They take rumors and assumptions made in the fan community and then say "Disney is making excuses."

The buffet was not well-rated by guests.
We can argue about the value of buffets, but buffets make me happy even when I don’t get my money’s worth. It must be the freedom of choice I like.

I wonder when they are getting rid of Biergarten 🙁

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

Right…so the food should be…worse…then?

note2001

Someone remind me, what food was offered at Mickey's Backyard BBQ? I'm betting it was the same stuff coming out of the same kitchen. How many people did you hear raving about the food there? I don't think I've ever heard it was good... only that people would miss the atmosphere.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom