Trademark issues...

afavro24

Original Poster
Hey gang, 26 days until myself and 14 other family members head to WDW for 8 days. As with the past trips we are having t-shirts made, but two of the places I called to have them made said they could not print the old castle logo because of trademark issues. The castle was changed form the original, but not by much (so it is still recognizable). They also said we could not use the Disney Script font for the same reason. Any thoughts or comments?

copcarguyp71

I would tend to agree with the screen printer. Walking into the lions den with t-shirts that infinge on copyright would be inviting almost certain disaster. Disney has more lawyers than you can shake a stick at.

See what they can come up with for a cool alternate design but I would stay away from any gray area with regard to copyright and Disney.

MattyFresh

I want to say that I have seen families and/or groups with shirts that the Disney script on it. I guess that isn't as bad as the castle issue, maybe come up with something else to replace the castle and I am sure someone would do the script part for you.

dreamfinder

Even though its an old logo, doesn't mean they have relinquished rights to it. Doing so would mean that anyone could put out retro product. It's the same reason why so many variations on domain names get registered. There is a chance they may use it again and will hold onto it just in case.

For the logo you may be able to find a generic clip art castle that is close enough. Not to mention, putting a castle on it, while being at WDW, should be all the impression most people need. The font is a little murkier. Even though it may not be the official font, the print shop has no way to tell that. They see it, realize it looks close, and will usually back off. Especially if you are using any phrases like Disney in it. Maybe try using one of the old Epcot fonts? Or something from like the Haunted Mansion? Those will both still be recognizable, but are pretty commonly used so they shouldn't have an issue with it. Or you may just need to get creative.

Eyorefan

If you want to use official Disney logos and such, you can go on their website and order one of their "create your own" shirts from them. (That's what my family has done). You might find a shop in your area that is licensed to use Disney images... I know that at hobby shops you can by Disney shirt decales and such. Good luck!

gerryu21220

You could simply make your own t-shirts for the family using the iron-on kits and an ink-jet printer with whatever image or font you wanted. As long as they're for your own personal use and not being distributed or sold publicly, you're good.

afavro24

Original Poster
Thanks for the info, I think it might just be a better idea to use something that doesn't scream WDW trademark.

cmwade77

Actually Disney isn't likely to have a problem with it, unless you were selling them. We usually use Artscow for things and have never had a problem; however, we have always used Photographs that we have taken ourselves or were on the Photopass CD that we have the rights to use. You can get fonts that are close to Disney fonts and do not infringe on trademarks and Copyrights as well; however, I do recommend avoiding fonts that look like Disney fonts because those tend to invite more trouble than pictures or clipart do.

afavro24

Original Poster
It is a pretty "scandalous" picture in those terms. I used the old Walt Disney Pictures castle, removed where "Walt Disney Pictures" was embedded and put "Walt Disney World" over it in an arch. Under that is says Family Vacation 2010.

The screen print shop said he just did some for another group and said we shouldn't have a problem, but I am not sure what to do. What is the worst that can happen?

I am not set on this design I am sure I can come up with something creative, but am just curious now.

Eyorefan

It is a pretty "scandalous" picture in those terms. I used the old Walt Disney Pictures castle, removed where "Walt Disney Pictures" was embedded and put "Walt Disney World" over it in an arch. Under that is says Family Vacation 2010.

The screen print shop said he just did some for another group and said we shouldn't have a problem, but I am not sure what to do. What is the worst that can happen?

I am not set on this design I am sure I can come up with something creative, but am just curious now.

If your family were to walk into Disney World with those shirts on nothing is going to happen to you. If you personally made those shirts for your own use, Disney is not going to come after you.

Now if you made those shirts and started selling them, you would have a big problem on your hands.

afavro24

Original Poster
Ok , well I guess I don't have to bring my folding table and change box. I wasn't sure how I was going to get it there. :ROFLOL: Thanks for the help everyone. I came up with another design that I think I like better, just have to run it by the wife and make sure. If anyone is going to be there August 10-18th, give me a shout and you might be able to see what they look like. Thanks again!!!

C&D

If your family were to walk into Disney World with those shirts on nothing is going to happen to you. If you personally made those shirts for your own use, Disney is not going to come after you.

Now if you made those shirts and started selling them, you would have a big problem on your hands.

Bingo!

afavr001

The t-shirts are a really good idea! I'm sure you will be fine with the whole trademark issue. What did you finally decide on for a design? :)

powlessfamily4

I created the shirts my brother family and my family wore this past June. It took about an hour to work up the design and I all I used was paint and msword. I simply snagged a few pictures from google images and created my own unique font to match our theme "Cowpow 2010". It is a combination of our last names. It was fun and my nephews loved the shirts. The still insist on wearing them all the time.

I am going to attempt to post the pictures I hope this works!

picture.php

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/picture.php?pictureid=14846&albumid=966&dl=1279244787&thumb=1

cowanfamily

I created the shirts my brother family and my family wore this past June. It took about an hour to work up the design and I all I used was paint and msword. I simply snagged a few pictures from google images and created my own unique font to match our theme "Cowpow 2010". It is a combination of our last names. It was fun and my nephews loved the shirts. The still insist on wearing them all the time.

I am going to attempt to post the pictures I hope this works!

picture.php

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/picture.php?pictureid=14846&albumid=966&dl=1279244787&thumb=1

Sweet design.

mp2bill

Yeah, I used to work in the yearbook business, and the first thing I taught a new school was not to use anything associated with a large business (fonts, characters, catch phrases, etc). The reason for this is because they've spent a lot of money developing their ideas and will spend more money on lawyers to help protect their product.

So that's why these small business won't touch your t-shirt...they don't want to get sued and effectively shut down.

However, if you want to roll the dice and make some shirts yourself, the brother of a friend of mine posted this video on YouTube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qn_4Z-sxq_g

SirNim

Interestingly, fonts are not eligible to be copyrighted. Font names can be trademarked, and vector data can be copyrighted (the data that makes up the font file), but the actual designs/shapes/curves of the letters themselves are not eligible for copyright. If you write "Disney" in the Disney script font, then yes you have recreated the Disney logotype and are theoretically on the wrong side of copyright law. But using the Disney script font to write your own words "So-and-so Family's Trip to Florida!" poses no issues whatsoever. A script cannot be copyrighted.

the_more_you_know.jpg

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
I agree with what Eyorefan stated.

If you make them for your own use at WDW you will not have any trouble. Just don't start an online business selling them for others.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom