Toy Story Playland

Fox&Hound

Iger and Lassester have announced Toy Story 4 for 2017. TSPL and the additional track for mania have all become very clear; synergy! Iger's dream come true - get a new land and increase capacity at Mania and you have some serious attendance increases and merchandise sales.... DHS, once the dog, now the star.... Probably :banghead:

This is exactly what I was thinking- synergy!

Toy Story Play Land and new track will coincide with the release of "Toy Story 4"
Cars addition to HS will coincide with "Cars 3" coming out in a few years
Star Wars land will coincide with the new movies coming out starting next year

In a different park, Avatar land opens when the new movie releases.

Theme park and merchandise coincide with movie releases. Commercials for the movie can promote the park and vice versa. From a business stand point it makes sense and shows why a Pixar expansion may focus more on Toy Story and Cars than other franchises. With Incredibles 2 coming out, we can hold out hope that they might add something for that too, but I'm more skeptical on that part.

If I was a betting man I would say Toy Story, Cars, and Star Wars are definites for HS now.

Macca250

Toy Story Play Land and new track will coincide with the release of "Toy Story 4"

Theme park and merchandise coincide with movie releases. Commercials for the movie can promote the park and vice versa. From a business stand point it makes sense and shows why a Pixar expansion may focus more on Toy Story and Cars than other franchises. With Incredibles 2 coming out, we can hold out hope that they might add something for that too, but I'm more skeptical on that part.

If I was a betting man I would say Toy Story, Cars, and Star Wars are definites for HS now.
Agreed; Toy Story, Cars and Star Wars seem to be the future for the expansion, anything else would be a bonus, but that's three pretty significant franchises to play with. And this is based solely on the pattern that films and parks can make a truck load provided they're synchronised to maximum consumer interest. I.e. The first phase of Harry Potter, and as you said, Avatar - heck even Frostorm is a safe bet given that a sequel will be made, never mind the current mania surrounding it! I now understand the need for more Toy Story in the parks - whether I like it or not, Pixar and Disney appear to think future instalments are a good investment.

On the negative side, it's a shame current Disney want successful franchises to pre-exist before they construct anything new; the days of attractions based on original ideas really do seem to be numbered.

Siren

The terms are not interchangeable, but are used so because it is better to sell something as a family ride versus a kiddie ride. Anytime you see people talking about how they love to ride because their kids love to ride, then it is a kiddie ride. Vicarious enjoyment is the hallmark of a kiddie ride and the very sort of thing Disneyland rejected.
LOL. This is just a really pedantic play on words, nothing more. "Vicarious enjoyment" is *not* the hallmark of a kiddie ride. Again, I continue to be confronted with this excessively rigid, black & white line of thinking that tends to permeate specifically within the Disney fan community.

There is nothing represented here that amounts to being mutually exclusive of each other -- it is more than possible for people to experience "vicarious enjoyment" through their children and also enjoy the attraction(s) independent of their children's enjoyment. It is possible for an adult to enjoy TSPL with no children.

Unlike most rides, kiddie rides tend to have height restrictions, which require riders to be *under* a certain height as opposed to meeting or exceeding the height requirement -- as demonstrated below, all riders must be under '54.
KiteEatingTree.jpg

Mustangs2.jpg

motorcycles2.jpg

RedBaron1.jpg

RotoWhip.jpg

space_age_banner.jpg

SkyFighters2.jpg

airmail_banner.jpg
If you prefer to call it a kiddie ride, I have no problem with that description -- but I tend to see Toy Story Playland as something the whole family can enjoy -- really, anyone of any background can enjoy it.

I like Family oriented rides, this is a nice kiddie land, not exactly what the park needed, but you know, the use of space in this tiny park is baffling at this point. I'm sure kids will love it though.

I don't ever, ever remember hearing anyone say those UNI attractions would shatter Disney. They needed to build up their park and they have been in spectacular fashion. I do find it interesting how both parks utilize space though.
LOL, than consider yourself very lucky! Frankly, I really want UNI to do well. I hold the opinion that UNI needs to at least surpass Disney's lowest attended park, before WDW is willing to engage in a serious theme park arms race.

Last edited:

Siren

A small point of clarification, but this ride pictured is Luigi's Flying Tires, which is going away after the holiday season to be replaced with a new flat ride.

The rumored "Woody's Roundup" is a reworked version of Mater's Junkyard Jamboree:
P6103136.jpg

Thank you for clarifying that. For the record, this looks much better than Luigi's Flying Tires! It will be interesting to see how Disney adapts this ride to look and feel distinctively like Toy Story instead of Cars.

I have no problem with a flat ride heavy area, but I agree with the idea of having it be a variety of properties and not just Toy Story. Why not a "Pixar Playland" with stuff from Monsters Inc, The Incredibles, Bug's Life, Ratatouille, etc represented?
I couldn't agree more! I love TSMM, but it's really enough. I don't care to see anymore Toy Story anything, after riding it. Of course, I wouldn't have an issue with an E ticket dark ride, but that's about it, lol.

Yeah, it's worth noting that RC Racer has a Height restriction of 120 cm, which is about 47" -- that's not really a kid friendly ride unless you have 8-10 year olds in mind.
I totally agree!

Pixie Hollow was supposed to have a maters clone in it. Instead the kept the circus tents. Would have been much better had they left that alone
I suppose, I see your point here. It would have been better to get a different type of ride than more of the same. But, Dumbo's lines were out of hand, so doubling up on capacity makes sense.

Well people like mediocrity I am shocked.
I'm not going to address this because it's really, really, really, painfully long. So, I'll just giggle about it, lol.

doctornick

Would be nice it we could get an Incredibles attractions then, since that has a sequel planned.....

Siren

Or saying it's the same as Chester and Hester's.
Well, I would be totally bummed if TSPL gave off a cheap Chester & Hester's vibe. I think TSPL could work, given that it's right behind Toy Story Mania. It's just expanding upon an already existing theme.

WDSP's TSP truly is the cheapest, ugliest land anywhere. It makes Chester and Hester look like New Orleans Square.

Off-the-shelf roadside carnival rides, decorated (not themed) with large colourful props in between bamboo for oversized grass. Barf.
Uh, no. Chester & Hester is so ugly to me.
I understand that Chester & Hester's cheap roadside carnival feel is intentional, but is doesn't fit with the rest of AK, not in the least. With that said, I don't mind Primeval Whirl or the Dino spinners as stand alone attractions -- but the games and other stuff can go.

TSPL looks better, imo.

Personally, I think that they should use a good 70-80% of the 1.2-1.7 billion dollar budget to make ultra realistic, hyper-themed rides targeted at families with smaller children. This would be the wisest investment of money. Why create simple-yet-fun rides who's design and development work is already completed to help flesh out the family demographic when you could create mind-blowing ultra expensive attractions for the same demographic. I say blow the whole budget here in Toy Story Playland and skip out on all the other stuff.
Ugh.... just *no*.

Last edited:

doctornick

I understand that Chester & Hester's cheap roadside carnival feel is intentional, but is doesn't fit with the rest of AK, not in the least. With that said, I don't mind Primeval Whirl or the Dino spinners as stand alone attractions -- but the games and other stuff can go.

I wish they would get rid of the games and put in another flat ride in their place. DAK could certainly use additional rides and I think most would agree that a dinosaur themed ride would be more pleasant to look at than the carnival games.

Kman101

I'll never understand the defense of Chester and Hester's (by the few who do). So what if it has a backstory? I can give a pet rock a backstory.

TSPL, I can see that some would consider it on that level, but without seeing a single plan we don't know what it will be and frankly, TSPL carries the theme of the queue into a 'land'. People will eat that up. I see 100% why they're adding it (IF they are ... I still don't see 100% confirmation either way yet).

If I didn't hear the rumor of Maters being re-themed for Woody I'd agree it probably wouldn't be very thrilling and while the land isn't my personal choice, I'm still hopeful about it because it seems like they're at least not carbon copying it (again, that we know of) totally.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
I'll never understand the defense of Chester and Hester's (by the few who do). So what if it has a backstory? I can give a pet rock a backstory.

TSPL, I can see that some would consider it on that level, but without seeing a single plan we don't know what it will be and frankly, TSPL carries the theme of the queue into a 'land'. People will eat that up. I see 100% why they're adding it (IF they are ... I still don't see 100% confirmation either way yet).

If I didn't hear the rumor of Maters being re-themed for Woody I'd agree it probably wouldn't be very thrilling and while the land isn't my personal choice, I'm still hopeful about it because it seems like they're at least not carbon copying it (again, that we know of) totally.
I'll give my defense of it.

I love cheesy roadside tourist trap attractions. Love them. I didn't need to be told the backstory the first time I went to that land, I got it immediately. It all fits together as it should, from the cracks in the parking lot, the games that a place like this would have to steal your money, all of it.

There are those that say "yeah, but would you want something like that at Disney, just go somewhere else for it". Well, I do enjoy that in my Disney trip, and that I can get a little safe taste of it while on my Disney vacation.

That being said, I don't ask anyone else to like it. I understand why others don't. I just do.

Kman101

I'll give my defense of it.

I love cheesy roadside tourist trap attractions. Love them. I didn't need to be told the backstory the first time I went to that land, I got it immediately. It all fits together as it should, from the cracks in the parking lot, the games that a place like this would have to steal your money, all of it.

There are those that say "yeah, but would you want something like that at Disney, just go somewhere else for it". Well, I do enjoy that in my Disney trip, and that I can get a little safe taste of it while on my Disney vacation.

That being said, I don't ask anyone else to like it. I understand why others don't. I just do.

No surprise that I like this post. I totally understand that. I'm not trying to tell anyone what to like. Not saying that's what you're saying to me, but I always try to throw in a "IMO" or make it seem like it's my view of something. Hopefully not coming across that way ...

Anyway, again, totally get that. I guess I just call it like I see it. A cheaply done area on the fly that's lasted 15+ years too long, heh. I have no issues with Primeval Whirl actually. Fun little ride.

Kman101

And I think the biggest issue I take with it is that the rest of AK is so darn well themed that it just sticks out like a very sore thumb. Sad :(

But I guess we can keep hoping for the day they re-do it. I wonder, insiders, has there been talk in the past/plans of re-doing that area? I'm sure there has to be (they seem to have plans for just about everything). But I guess I'm getting off-topic ...

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
No surprise that I like this post. I totally understand that. I'm not trying to tell anyone what to like. Not saying that's what you're saying to me, but I always try to throw in a "IMO" or make it seem like it's my view of something. Hopefully not coming across that way ...

Anyway, again, totally get that. I guess I just call it like I see it. A cheaply done area on the fly that's lasted 15+ years too long, heh. I have no issues with Primeval Whirl actually. Fun little ride.
No offense taken of course. It is a cheap little area, and I get why its hated.

Now, I also don't mind areas done purposefully cheaper, if it is
A) well done
B) money saved to put somewhere else in the park.
If it's just cheap for no reason other than to be cheap, it sucks. If they pinch a few pennies in an area and make sure it's done well, and then put that money into somewhere else, I'm totally cool with that.

Again, all IMO.

Kman101

No offense taken of course. It is a cheap little area, and I get why its hated.

Now, I also don't mind areas done purposefully cheaper, if it is
A) well done
B) money saved to put somewhere else in the park.
If it's just cheap for no reason other than to be cheap, it sucks. If they pinch a few pennies in an area and make sure it's done well, and then put that money into somewhere else, I'm totally cool with that.

Again, all IMO.

Agreed. Thats why I guess I'm OK with TSPL because I'm hopeful we get other solid areas and attractions on top of this. So I'm giving it a bit more of a pass than I normally would probably. Now if it's truly cheap and tacky in person, I'll be more than happy to call them out on it (and we don't get decent substance elsewhere).

I'm probably a little too tough on Chester and Hester's but again, it's just so glaringly obvious in a park so beautiful.

TomP

I'm probably a little too tough on Chester and Hester's but again, it's just so glaringly obvious in a park so beautiful.

I've always considered C&H sort of like comedic relief in a way. I like it for it's detail in execution, but I can't ride those type of rides. I like to explore the rest of the area looking at the detail. I'm funny that way.

Kman101

I'll give it that, it does have some great details. Like I said, I know I'm too hard and cut and dry with it, but I'm picky that way lol.

Fox&Hound

I wish they would get rid of the games and put in another flat ride in their place. DAK could certainly use additional rides and I think most would agree that a dinosaur themed ride would be more pleasant to look at than the carnival games.

Off-topic: I've said it before, but my biggest hope is that "The Good Dinosaur" is a HUGE hit and that Chester & Hester's get a major overhaul themed to that movie. I'd love a T-Rex style restaurant, a family friendly ride that allows kids to see how awesome dinosaurs are (not exactly scary like Dinosaur Countdown to Extinction ride suggests), and some other fun rides more heavily themed than carnival rides.

Chester and Hesters brings down AK in a lot of ways....If Avatar is a huge run, and Chester and Hester's gets redone, AK could really be on its way.

Back on topic: really excited about what could be happening at HS

Siren

I'm beginning to feel like Toy Story Playland should at least have a dark ride similar to the Ratatouille ride in Paris. As the ride begins, guests suddenly become toy size and begin a wild adventure in Andy's room before being transported to Sunnyside Daycare, where they finally escape those terrible tots in the caterpillar room. The journey can also incorporate other iconic scenes from the series like Sid's room, the wild west, the airport chase, the toy store, etc. My only hang up with this is the 3D part because DHS already has so many 3D rides --so a regular dark ride would be okay, too.

I would prefer to see a Pixar Playland with a Toy Story themed dark ride with or without 3D.

Last edited:

Otamin

I'm beginning to feel like Toy Story Playland should at least have a dark ride similar to the Ratatouille ride in Paris. As the ride begins, guests suddenly become toy size and begin a wild adventure in Andy's room before being transported to Sunnyside Daycare, where they finally escape those terrible tots in the caterpillar room. The journey can also incorporate other iconic scenes from the series like Sid's room, the wild west, the airport chase, the toy store, etc. My only hang up with this is the 3D part because DHS already has so many 3D rides --so a regular dark ride would be okay, too.

I would prefer to see a Pixar Playland with a Toy Story themed dark ride with or without 3D.
Don't hold your breath for anything of the sort.

This is being done on the cheap after all.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom