Toy Story Mania in NYTimes

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
We got it, Rob.
Disney is crap.
You have all the talent and ideas.
So why was it again that you never made it to the ranks of Imagineering?

I'm done reading how much you 'dislike' so much with the parks. Go spread your pessimistic viewpoints with others who share your disgust.

When you get a chance, tell the other side of your face that we're all anxiously waiting for a jam-packed behind-the-scenes report on whatever.
...or at least another building permit. Afterall, it's almost Tuesday.
I **heart** you

al5957

We got it, Rob.
Disney is crap.

I'm done reading how much you 'dislike' so much with the parks. Go spread your pessimistic viewpoints with others who share your disgust.

When you get a chance, tell the other side of your face that we're all anxiously waiting for a jam-packed behind-the-scenes report on whatever.

Bravo... Well said.

Slowjack

We all thought the same thing about M:S before it opened...
Well, to be fair, merf, Mission Space replaced Horizons, an attraction that, while dwindling in actual ridership, had many devoted fans. Toy Story Mania isn't displacing anything of value, so it's hard for me to think of this ride as a downgrade to my DHS experience. My problem is that Rasulo seems to be indicating this is a major trend for Disney, that they will build more of these rides that are cheaper and less traditionally Disney but win everyone over with the interactive element. It's the same problem I have with adding Disney characters to rides. Nothing wrong with a ride that's based on Disney or Pixar characters, but too often now it seems to be a substitute for an experience that is compelling on its own.

Slowjack

The original ride experience has not changed. You do have a choice as to spin (original experience) or no spin (for the suckers who fell for the lie that you will get motion sickness). Which one did you ride? I agree completely that the pavilion should be expanded with the current M:S being a pre-show that actually takes you to a destination you experience after leaving the pod. That would be really great.
You do realize that if people think they will get sick, it's because Disney is telling them that? I find it funny how many times this ride tries to convince you not to ride it. By the time you are about to load I half expect Gary Sinise himself to jump out, grab me, and say, "Please, for the love of God, think about your family before you enter this spinning box!"

Although MS doesn't really do it for me, I agree that they could definitely double the appeal of the attraction if they put in a simulated space station or Mars colony as the post-show as was originally planned. The postshow area is so cheap looking I think it actually degrades the previous ride experience.

Pete C

You do realize that if people think they will get sick, it's because Disney is telling them that? I find it funny how many times this ride tries to convince you not to ride it. By the time you are about to load I half expect Gary Sinise himself to jump out, grab me, and say, "Please, for the love of God, think about your family before you enter this spinning box!"

Although MS doesn't really do it for me, I agree that they could definitely double the appeal of the attraction if they put in a simulated space station or Mars colony as the post-show as was originally planned. The postshow area is so cheap looking I think it actually degrades the previous ride experience.

Yeah, that would have been an awesome post-show and greatly enhanced the ride if done right.

I also think each pod should have had a single, larger screen for better immersion rather than the 4 individual screens.

WDWRocks08

No offense merf, i know im relatively new here and i dont wanna start any fights but can you just wait to judge the ride until its actually finished. I have a lot of faith in Disney Imageneering and this article gives me even more. The direct involvement of Pixar animators in creating the ride is exciting for me at least. I would, no offense, love to see this ride open and be amazing just so you can eat your words. For someone who calls themselves a Disney fan you sure do not talk like one. It says senir member under your name but from hw you are talking i don't think you evn deserve to be a member. Change isn't always good and sucess is measured differently but anyone who says (as it seems u do) that disney has not accomplished anything good in the past 10 years is ,to be kind, not whole in the head.

spaceghost

We got it, Rob.
Disney is crap.

ahhhhhh.....bliss.... :)

EpcotServo

We got it, Rob.
Disney is crap.

"WOOOOOOOOO!!!"
-Fry, Futurama

FuturamaFrameGrab2.jpg

:lol:

Piebald

Sometimes I wonder who Merf is..

I have a vague idea from when I used to be a CM and see this super dorky guy about every other day or so and just take pictures of obscure, random crap. Could be anyone, really.

With that said, TSM will definitely be cool. I left the company in the middle of working with TSM so I know a lot more than what most people can simply guess from seeing pictures/videos/etc. It'll definitely be a lot of fun. The only thing I can't comment on is Mr. Potato Head; he wasn't around when I was there.

DisneyAnole

Disney's Animal Kingdom and its Mountain beg to differ.

oh, and
Tokyo DisneySea....google it

Imagineering's output post-IJA certainly went downhill in the States, whether because of lack of money, Executives in charge, or whatever.

DAK is a visually meticulous park in sections (Harambe, Kali, various trails), but it lacks a certain magical quality associated with Disney's best design work. Maybe it's becaues Joe R. calls all the shots. Maybe it's because he is going for gritty realism that doesn't mesh well with Disney's (otherwise) clean escapism. I dont know. But look at the park's centerpiece. It's a BIG TREE whose leaves have a strange shade of green. Hmm. It's neat, but not as breathtaking as SSE or the Castle. (And no comment on the BAH, another example of the WDI's post-1995 work.)

I like DAK, but it doesn't hold a candle to MK or Epcot. I wonder if Disney will ever attempt to clone DAK or something similar elsewhere in the world.

The Mom

Premium Member
People have been coming to WDW for over 30 years, and for over two generations, because they know they will find something for EVERYONE there.

I know it's hard for younger folks to understand, but if you live long enough, there are stages in your life when the thrill rides lose their appeal, and the "wow" factor becomes secondary.

This ride is the sort of thing that would appeal to someone with small children, or someone with an elderly parent. (I've been in both phases, so I can speak from experience) Sometimes, you just want a small diversion, not a major immersion.

The majority of people who visit do not do so every weekend, nor do they live close to several theme parks. For them, this IS something new and different. Just because some of you consider it cheap and tacky, don't assume that the rest of the world shares your opinion.

Now, as a moderator, I will tell you to please stop the arguments with other posters, AND about an attraction that hasn't even opened yet.

Thank you.

Pete C

Imagineering's output post-IJA certainly went downhill in the States, whether because of lack of money, Executives in charge, or whatever.

DAK is a visually meticulous park in sections (Harambe, Kali, various trails), but it lacks a certain magical quality associated with Disney's best design work. Maybe it's becaues Joe R. calls all the shots. Maybe it's because he is going for gritty realism that doesn't mesh well with Disney's (otherwise) clean escapism. I dont know. But look at the park's centerpiece. It's a BIG TREE whose leaves have a strange shade of green. Hmm. It's neat, but not as breathtaking as SSE or the Castle. (And no comment on the BAH, another example of the WDI's post-1995 work.)

I like DAK, but it doesn't hold a candle to MK or Epcot. I wonder if Disney will ever attempt to clone DAK or something similar elsewhere in the world.

I think DAK is the most impressive and majestic looking of all the WDW parks. The villages, the lush environments, the ruins...it all looks so authentic and really takes you somewhere. The only thing I agree with you about is the color of the leaves on the tree. They could have easily gotten that right. I don't know what they were thinking. That aside, the tree itself is just as impressive as the other park icons to me if not more so. The details on the trunk are amazing and always fascinate me as I try to find the animals. This park also has another icon in Everest, which is also an amazing sight to behold and a theming masterpiece. There are more photo ops in this park than any other in WDW.

Really, my only complaint about DAK is the lame river ride which offers no thrills compared to other river rides of its type, and the Dinoland area, which is just an eyesore. DAK is just one or two E-tickets, or a new land away from greatness.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom