Toy Story Mania in NYTimes

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Now wait just a second. These are the same guys and gals...well, mostly guys...who designed Gran Fiesta, Turtle Talk, DL's subs, M:S, SSE's descent, Monsters Inc, HISTA, Muppets 3D, It's Tough to be a Bug, Philharmagic, and TSM. Oh, and Disney's American Idol.

They're no sham! They're experts at interactive dimensional entertainment screen technologies, perfect for audiences in the 21st century! Don't be fooled by the bloodless language. These attractions are every bit as good as old-fashioned Imagineering.

Is victory supposed to taste like napalm?

the-reason14

Sometimes somethings are just not good enough. It seem lately disney can never win. For years, Ive heard people complain about mgm not having much to do, and how WDI needs to do something about it. I was in the majority of complainers. So what happens? A name change, some other stuff, and a dark ride themed to one of pixars greatest film franchise. And what do we do? Still complain, woohooo. :rolleyes:

Anyways, I think that this is a good addition to mgm. For a park that mostly promotes shows Im excited for TSM to come, and think that it will have a good impact. If it is lowtech or something not fun in your eyes, then just skip it. Even though we havent really caught a huge glimpse on this ride, I think it will be fun, although its not everest, I think its gonna be cool.

sanctumsolitude

Now wait just a second. These are the same guys and gals...well, mostly guys...who designed Gran Fiesta, Turtle Talk, DL's subs, M:S, SSE's descent, Monsters Inc, HISTA, Muppets 3D, It's Tough to be a Bug, Philharmagic, and TSM. Oh, and Disney's American Idol.

They're no sham! They're experts at interactive dimensional entertainment screen technologies, perfect for audiences in the 21st century! Don't be fooled by the bloodless language. These attractions are every bit as good as old-fashioned Imagineering.

Old fashioned imagineering gave us the tea cups (didn't I see that at the county fair?), dumbo (it spins!), jet ride / astro orbitor (it spins... but two stories up!) and King Arthur Carrousel (come now, it's just a carrousel).

Obviously old school imagineering were technology masters.

DisneyAnole

Old fashioned imagineering gave us the tea cups (didn't I see that at the county fair?), dumbo (it spins!), jet ride / astro orbitor (it spins... but two stories up!) and King Arthur Carrousel (come now, it's just a carrousel).

But none of those rides uses Interactive Dimensional Entertainment Screen Technology (IDEST). I guess they knew enough to avoid that little pitfall.

Well, except for lame Mission to the Moon and Circlerama.

mousermerf

Account Suspended

Obviously you forget that the Carousel was built amid the other Fantasyland attractions as was Dumbo, not as a stand alone to anchor an entire area of the park.

Their anchors were things like Horizons, Spaceship Earth, Big Thunder Mountain, Splash Mountain, Space Mountain.

Things weren't built to myopically. They built whole lands with themes that were consistent and filled them with charm and details and that went throughout the rides. The smaller rides were parts of overall experiences. For example the Peoplemover was part of the larger Tomorrowland aesthetic, but held it's own entertainment value too.

EpcotServo

That's just it - take your hawaiian (is that how you spell it?) burger and remove the pineapple, spices and everything that makes it hawaiian and instead have maybe just some pineapple juice squirted on it and it served on a placemat that has a hawaiian print and viola you've got TSM versus Spiderman.

-ahem- One person said that.

And about being on "solid ground" - let me tell you! Solid flat and completely unal;tered from the state it was in when it was Millionaire and merely a soundstage before that! That ride has no elevations, no and is the epitome of 1955 bus-bar technology akin to Snow White (heck, it's probably closed for refurb right now so they can borrow parts).

It is no great leap in technology. The kids at MIT are out-pacing the so-called genius of Imagineering every day. They're a sham.

Sooooo...what you're saying is that because it's flat....it's not good? Oh well, that changes my ideas about a lot of rides.

You heard it here first folks....Merf wants more Thrill Rides!
:sohappy:

And refer to the time-lapse, they chose one of them. But still, both choice A or B is cheap card board layers and the whole ride premise is putt-putt-putt-stop-scene-putt-putt-stop-scene just like Figment's Fiasco.

I always hate that...so how do you know that's cardboard? Have you tried painting on cardboard? It has all those nasty little ridges.

FACT: No disney attraction has ever used "cardboard" as an element. They use "Painted flats" which are completly different. Also those surrondings weren't "Painted Flats" , but appear to be molded and painted plastic (or wood, or foam) set objects to be placed around the screen.

:lol:

mousermerf

Account Suspended
On that note - can someone PLEASE explain to me what this ride is doing in DHS?

It's about toys under someone's bed hosting carnival midway games - how does that at all tie into the park's theme? It doesn't even tie into the building exterior.

EpcotServo

It's about toys under someone's bed hosting carnival midway games - how does that at all tie into the park's theme? It doesn't even tie into the building exterior.

the same way Great Movie Ride, Playhouse Disney, Little Mermaid, The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror, Star Tours, Muppet-Vision 3D, Epic, Beauty and the Beast, Fantasmic!, and Rock 'N' Roller Coaster fit in.

Based on a movie or TV show, it belongs in the Studios park. Not perfect, but to throw out that, you soon have no rides at MGM.

You just been 'asplained!

sanctumsolitude

Their anchors were things like Horizons, Spaceship Earth, Big Thunder Mountain, Splash Mountain, Space Mountain.

Things weren't built to myopically. They built whole lands with themes that were consistent and filled them with charm and details and that went throughout the rides. The smaller rides were parts of overall experiences. For example the Peoplemover was part of the larger Tomorrowland aesthetic, but held it's own entertainment value too.

Wait, what imagineering are we talking about? Was the 1980s the pinnacle of imagineering?

mousermerf

Account Suspended
For Imagineer, again the actual term attributed to Disney is slightly
different -- in this case, it's "Imagineering". This term was
trademarked (filed 1967, first use 1962) by "WED Enterprises". "WED"
stands for "Walter Elias Disney", and WED Enterprises (which built the
Disneyland attractions and sold them to Disney at cost) changed its
name to "Walt Disney Imagineering" in 1986.

I refer to the company, not just the name for the workers.

Example, I could be a millner and not work for the "Millner" Company until it changed it's name to that until 1980 or something because of how popular it became at that time - that's when Imagineering really was focused and at its height. It had just produced Epcot and TDL.

sanctumsolitude

And I was referring to the workers.

Fair?

Edit: Ok, so I must of misinterpreted you. You are saying that the 1980s was the pinnacle of imagineering (as evidenced by its name change to Walt Disney Imagineering). I interpreted it as because its name wasn't change until the 1980s, it couldn't possibly be any time before that.

grunter

Umm.. no...

This is actually a very low-tech version of Spiderman, thank you very much.

10disney.large2.jpg

Oy vey. That looks just like the nightmare I'd imagined. A cart sliding past movie-sized video screens - y'know, kinda like "Nemo." Oh how immersive.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member

Toy Story Mania is based on a movie, and Disney's Hollywood Studios is the movie park - that is what it's doing there.

al5957

Thanks for the article, that was a good read. I actually got to develop a piece of software that is used on the ride so i cant wait to get on it and see my work in the actual ride surroundings.

nibblesandbits

Sometimes somethings are just not good enough. It seem lately disney can never win. For years, Ive heard people complain about mgm not having much to do, and how WDI needs to do something about it. I was in the majority of complainers. So what happens? A name change, some other stuff, and a dark ride themed to one of pixars greatest film franchise. And what do we do? Still complain, woohooo. :rolleyes:

Anyways, I think that this is a good addition to mgm. For a park that mostly promotes shows Im excited for TSM to come, and think that it will have a good impact. If it is lowtech or something not fun in your eyes, then just skip it. Even though we havent really caught a huge glimpse on this ride, I think it will be fun, although its not everest, I think its gonna be cool.

I have to agree with you. It seems like lately nothing is good enough for anyone. (Well, with the exception of the HM refurb...the majority seem to like that). People complain about Nemo, Mission:Space, TT, Monster's Inc, LMA, and I've even heard a few complain about Everest. According to the majority on message boards, If it was built in the last 10 years, well, it's basically crap. If you aren't enjoying what the parks are putting out, then why continue to go?

Do I like all the things that is happening in the parks? Eh...some I do, some I don't. But guess what? I've at least given these attractions an UNBIASED chance. I've gone into them with no previous notion of what I believe they are going to be like. But it always seems a good portion of people already seem to have their minds made up as soon as they announce a ride...or announce a couple of details about a ride. Me, I'm excited to see TSM. B/c I give every ride a fair chance (and usually I'll give them a few chances) and I believe that DHS needs a family friendly ride. It certainly didn't have much to offer before in that matter.

Remember, Disney itself is saying this is a D-ticket attraction. They aren't even considering it to be E-ticket. Why must we always expect everything to be built as E-tickets and then when we find out they're not...get horribly disappointed. And for those of you who this ride doesn't appeal to...I'm sorry, but to quote someone else recently, I think it is perfectly acceptable for Disney to build things for guests other than myself, which seems to be a minority view amongst the self absorbed of late.

Enigma

Account Suspended
Considering it wasn't called Imagineering until then - yes.

People we refer to as early Imagineers, Mary Blair etc and early are actually MAPO and WED people.

The early work done by Imagineering was good too before the marketing people and "corporate executives" took over. Star Tours, Splash Mountain, Tower of Terror, and Disneyland Paris were all spectacular. I would have to say Imagineering went downhill shortly after the Indiana Jones Adventure debuted at Disneyland. That was probably the last great, memorable attraction here in the states. Shortly afterwords we got the disasterous Tomorrowland'98 in Disneyland and a bunch of generic barebone "thrill rides" here in orlando and it only got worse from there not to mention the fact that attractions were closed to make way for attractions that could be used for advertisments (replacing mr.toad with winnie the pooh) and many attractions were removed not to be replaced (20k under the sea, skyway, canoes, imagiworks, etc.)

WDWRocks08

I would have to say Imagineering went downhill shortly after the Indiana Jones Adventure debuted at Disneyland. That was probably the last great, memorable attraction here in the states. Shortly afterwords we got the disasterous Tomorrowland'98 in Disneyland and a bunch of generic barebone "thrill rides" here in orlando and it only got worse from there not to mention the fact that attractions were closed to make way for attractions that could be used for advertisments (replacing mr.toad with winnie the pooh) and many attractions were removed not to be replaced (20k under the sea, skyway, canoes, imagiworks, etc.)

Not too be rude but ANIMAL KINGDOM which i consider disney immageneerings biggest feat in the last 20 years. The amount of thought and detail is amazing. I have also heard that Disneyland Tokyo and Disney Seas Toyko are supposed to be awesome. :p

BwanaBob

Is victory supposed to taste like napalm?
We got it, Rob.
Disney is crap.
You have all the talent and ideas.
So why was it again that you never made it to the ranks of Imagineering?

I'm done reading how much you 'dislike' so much with the parks. Go spread your pessimistic viewpoints with others who share your disgust.

When you get a chance, tell the other side of your face that we're all anxiously waiting for a jam-packed behind-the-scenes report on whatever.
...or at least another building permit. Afterall, it's almost Tuesday.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom