Toy Story Mania in NYTimes

mousermerf

Account Suspended
*sigh*

Yes, a pop culture phenomena from the last *checks google* 5 years versus something people have been attending attending en masse longer then they've been reading the bible.. (yes it stayed in style when heiroglyphs didn't)

jt04

*sigh*

Yes, a pop culture phenomena from the last *checks google* 5 years versus something people have been attending attending en masse longer then they've been reading the bible.. (yes it stayed in style when heiroglyphs didn't)

So "A Chorus Line" is an ancient play. I'm suprised I never heard of it.

chris chris

since when was toy story mania going to be in disneyland?:shrug::confused:
before DHS was getting it or after.
majorly confused right now? help?!?!

Eyorefan

since when was toy story mania going to be in disneyland?:shrug::confused:
before DHS was getting it or after.
majorly confused right now? help?!?!

For the first time in Disney history they are building the ride at both parks at the same time. So they are building it in Disneyland and WDW at the same time.

jt04

For the first time in Disney history they are building the ride at both parks at the same time. So they are building it in Disneyland and WDW at the same time.

For me the big question is will the little mermaid be the second time in disney history a ride is built at two parks at the same time. :D

sanctumsolitude

In 1983, Pinocchio's Daring Journey was constructed simultaneously at Tokyo Disneyland and Disneyland (although the Tokyo Disneyland version opened a month before the Disneyland one).

spaceghost

“Guests are pretty much no longer interested in being passive viewers,” Mr. Rasulo said."

What a completely ouch-of-touch moron. Must be why film, television, and theater are suddenly failiing and rapid decline.

Idiot.

Um, how old are you? Just curious. While the quote above sounds rather generic, the overall tone of what was said in the article was that he was talking about the younger generation of park goers, like the under 20 set. And I would considers his remarks about that particular demographic to be accurate.

Mr.EPCOT

This ride sounds so awesome, I can't wait! Maybe they'll be able to theme a game or two to whatever the new Pixar movie is each year. I am so jealous of whoever gets to be on the opening team for this attraction.

Vernonpush

Wasn't the Haunted Mansion built for both parks at the same time? They just had to finish the rest of the Magic Kingdom before the ride could open.

OmegaKnight

Wasn't the Haunted Mansion built for both parks at the same time? They just had to finish the rest of the Magic Kingdom before the ride could open.
The Haunted Mansion in California opened about 3 years before its counterpart in Florida. The Florida version was an opening day attraction in 1971 though.

grunter

I just can't muster much enthusiasm for "Toy Story Mania." To me, no matter how its "spun," it just sounds like guests are being trammed past 3D video screens to play lousy carnival games. Again, I don't want to watch a movie when I go to Disney. I want - to borrow the 80's commercial for Universal Studios - TO RIDE THE MOVIES. I want a physical experience that I can't get elsewhere - like say sitting in front of an X-Box with someone intermittently blowing a fan on me.

I have no doubt that the ride will be wonderfully written/conceived. But again, being wheeled past video scrims - however marvelously themed they may be - just isn't what I want from a Disney park.

jt04

I just can't muster much enthusiasm for "Toy Story Mania." To me, no matter how its "spun," it just sounds like guests are being trammed past 3D video screens to play lousy carnival games. Again, I don't want to watch a movie when I go to Disney. I want - to borrow the 80's commercial for Universal Studios - TO RIDE THE MOVIES. I want a physical experience that I can't get elsewhere - like say sitting in front of an X-Box with someone intermittently blowing a fan on me.

I have no doubt that the ride will be wonderfully written/conceived. But again, being wheeled past video scrims - however marvelously themed they may be - just isn't what I want from a Disney park.

You might be in the minority on this. Spiderman is the most popular ride at Universal and for a second I thought that is what you were describing. Toy Story Mania will have fast pass machines. Enough said.

Slowjack

You might be in the minority on this. Spiderman is the most popular ride at Universal and for a second I thought that is what you were describing. Toy Story Mania will have fast pass machines. Enough said.
I think TSM will be popular, and I think as one ride among many it's a good change of pace, but I really question whether this is the long term direction Disney should take, which is what the article implies. The "ride" portion of this ride isn't really a ride at all, but just a way to get you from screen to screen in an orderly fashion. Put another way, the whole thing could be done on one screen; making it a ride just simplifies getting people into and out of the game.

What's the problem with that?

Well, think about DisneyQuest. That's a fun place, but it's not very popular these days. Why? I think a large problem is that most everything there is a form of video game, and while they are cool video games, in the end the experience isn't that much greater than what you can do on a home system. If someone makes a home 3D system, then the difference will shrink even more.

Slowjack

I think Jay may have been talking about theme park "guests".
Actually I had the same reaction to the quote that mousermerf did. The problem is in thinking that because people enjoy interactivity that adding interactivity makes people feel more involved. Often the opposite is the case. Choose-your-own adventure books have never been as popular as the regular kind; interactive movies tanked; etc. People get involved in stories when they empathize when the characters in it; but if the characters are under the control of the audience there's nothing there to empathize with.

Okay, so a theme park ride isn't necessarily theater. But think about how many people have made up their own backstories to rides like the Haunted Mansion and PotC (the "ring" outside the queue for example). Kids ride Pirates and grow up remembering how that dog wouldn't give those pirates the jail key. They are actively involved in the story, despite what Jay Rasulo thinks, not passive viewers. Now imagine a child playing a game where you try to toss rings on milk cans. Okay, sure it's virtual milk cans and virtual rings and the technology costs money, but we're still talking about a ring toss. The child is interacting, in the basic definition of the word, but you can't say there's any involvement there. The part of the brain that gets emotionally involved isn't being touched.

jt04

I think TSM will be popular, and I think as one ride among many it's a good change of pace, but I really question whether this is the long term direction Disney should take, which is what the article implies. The "ride" portion of this ride isn't really a ride at all, but just a way to get you from screen to screen in an orderly fashion. Put another way, the whole thing could be done on one screen; making it a ride just simplifies getting people into and out of the game.

Well, think about DisneyQuest. That's a fun place, but it's not very popular these days. Why? I think a large problem is that most everything there is a form of video game, and while they are cool video games, in the end the experience isn't that much greater than what you can do on a home system. If someone makes a home 3D system, then the difference will shrink even more.

I think you will be doing more than going passed video screens, I have seen sets in the photos that will also be part of the ride. And I believe the cars may be more than just omnimovers. They look pretty advanced and I wouldn't be suprised if the Imagineers have a few tricks up their sleeves. With all that being said, I also noticed Disney has tried to lower expectations by calling this a "D ticket". So we will just have to wait and see when it opens. Hopefully it is just the first of several attractions on Pixar Place.

mousermerf

Account Suspended

We all thought the same thing about M:S before it opened...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom