Toy Story Land expansion announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Realistically this land needs to be done two weeks from today, to accomodate media parties and invited guest previews for two or three days before the official grand opening on June 30th. They seem to be cutting this very, very, very close. Any of our insiders here heard anything about if they will make it in time?

Recent photos taken within the last few days don't inspire a lot of confidence in being ready to open in two weeks. :confused:

DfVvxuHVAAEUKvQ.jpg:large

Maybe I am missing something, but I don't see anything in that picture that couldn't be cleaned up in a day or two.

sedati

Here's how these things usually go:
Project announced- What? It's going to take THAT LONG!?!
Land Clearing- Wha- like overnight all the trees are gone? How is this going to take so long?
Site prep/utilities- God are they even doing anything? They're just moving dirt around.
Foundations- This is like watching grass grow- there's no way this gets done on time.
Structure/Going Vertical- Whoo-hoo! That went up so fast! They've already topped off- this should be done in a year!
Interiors/Installation- Project seems stalled... probably budget cuts. Thanks Shanghai :(
Landscaping- When the heck did they do all that?
Detailing/Finish- Place looks like a mess- there's no way this gets fin... Oh, they're done?

Last edited:

smile

Realistically this land needs to be done two weeks from today, to accomodate media parties and invited guest previews for two or three days before the official grand opening on June 30th. They seem to be cutting this very, very, very close. Any of our insiders here heard anything about if they will make it in time?

Recent photos taken within the last few days don't inspire a lot of confidence in being ready to open in two weeks. :confused:

an orange birdie told me attention was diverted a few months back to focus on the new club 33...
first of a few, if i recall correctly
;)

twebber55

Here's how these things usually go:
Project announced- What? It's going to take THAT LONG!?!
Land Clearing- Wha- like overnight all the trees are gone? How is this going to take so long?
Site prep/utilities- God are they even doing anything? They're just moving a dirt around.
Foundations- This is like watching grass grow- there's no way this gets done on time.
Structure/Going Vertical- Whoo-hoo! That went up so fast! They've already topped off- this should be done in a year!
Interiors/Installation- Project seems stalled... probably budget cuts. Thanks Shanghai :(
Landscaping- When the heck did they do all that?
Detailing/Finish- Place looks like a mess- there's no way this gets fin... Oh, they're done?
so true

TP2000

The outfit is fine. Like an east coast version of the glorious Hot Dog on a Stick uniform.

Wait, does the East Coast not have Hot Dog On A Stick? I lived back East in the 1990's, and I don't remember not having Hot Dog On A Stick. Is it really just a West Coast thing? That said, those Toy Story Land uniforms seem underwhelming.

hot-dog-franchise-opportunity.jpg

TP2000

Maybe I am missing something, but I don't see anything in that picture that couldn't be cleaned up in a day or two.

Okay, I trust you. But it just looks like they should already have all that construction stuff cleaned up by now, and just be focused on testing and CM previews and fine tuning the operation with only two weeks to go.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member

You should’ve seen EPCOT Center at the start of September 1982.

I’m sure it’ll be ready.

Surely.

wdwgreek

Wait, does the East Coast not have Hot Dog On A Stick? I lived back East in the 1990's, and I don't remember not having Hot Dog On A Stick. Is it really just a West Coast thing? That said, those Toy Story Land uniforms seem underwhelming.

hot-dog-franchise-opportunity.jpg
yea I don't think we have that, I had to google it to check it out.

Casper Gutman

Just for fun, folks might want to take a look at the Disney Sea expansion announced today. And remember, that’s an addition to a park that is already considered the greatest in the world. TSL is an addition to a park that has been underdeveloped since opening, an addition that is half of a redo meant to “fix” the park.

An interesting comparison.

zachrupertdsn

Anyone who can still praise a company that can't get fair rides running on time makes The Fireman scratch their head.
Anyone who can still praise a company that opens up a land of fair rides, when they are supposed to be the pinnacle of theme park entertainment, might need to take a step back.

The same one that opened Pandora? The same one building Galaxy's Edge?

Casper Gutman

The same one that opened Pandora? The same one building Galaxy's Edge?
I am very much looking forward to SGE (if I can ever get through the crowd to get into it!), but after decades of underinvestment, MGM ALONE needed SGE plus at least one other multi-E land - the expansion the Paris Studios are getting seems to be about the correct scale.

As for Pandora, it’s not my cup of tea. A lot of people like it, so I’m willing to dismiss that as a matter of opinion. I do wish the River Journey had been a full ride or that they had actually built more of the cool plant effects they planned. All that said, AK is wonderful and the only Orlando park that is still representative of Disney’s very best (well, MK too, with some updates, far more reasonable crowds and far fewer strollers, but DL vastly overshadows it.)

No Name

Popularity doesn't mean something is good, especially when it's the only option in the park for a large segment of visitors. The Emoji Movie did really well at the box office, but I'd challenge you to find 5 people who actually thought it was a good movie.

TSMM is fun, but I'd hardly call it the pinacle of modern Imagineering. You can't possibly sit there and tell me that TSMM is a better designed attraction than ToT.

I don't know why you people can't understand the difference between sales and ratings, the former of which has absolutely no relation to a theme park where you pay one price to ride every attraction. As for the latter, the emoji movie has a 39% audience score which is lower than most movies, so no, there's no analogy here or with cheeseburgers.

And no, I do not think that TSMM is a better attraction than ToT or even RnRC, and don't know why you would assume I do. But the average guest does think that. I'd rather study the truth than deny it.

wow, people are so nice and friendly here.

"I'd rather be bad than incorrect"... it's literally in my picture. And a real friend would respect that. If you actually have an argument as to why it's not an utterly stupid comparison, I'm open to hearing.

bgood

Anyone who can still praise a company that can't get fair rides running on time makes The Fireman scratch their head.
Anyone who can still praise a company that opens up a land of fair rides, when they are supposed to be the pinnacle of theme park entertainment, might need to take a step back.

NormC, I have crisscrossed this great land of ours countless times. I know from fair rides. SDD and are fair rides. The 'pinnacle of theme park entertainment' should know from fair rides too. The Fireman makes a good point.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom