Toy Story Land expansion announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

brb1006

I always thought it was kind of funny that Disney ever had a restaurant called Pizza Planet, because I assume that the place in the movie is a riff on Chuck E. Cheese--fun places for children, but with terrible pizza.

Actually, now that I think about it, DisneyQuest was an advanced take on the idea, although I don't recall whether pizza was one of the offerings upstairs.
The toy machine with the green aliens needs to become a reality (And not a prop)

DisneyRoy

Okay, so where did the 200 mil go? Is it possible that the land needed a lot of work. Wasn't there a canal or some water there that had to be rerouted, some other foundational issues to address? Sure, 200 mil is what TSL is - and it's not seen in the final product...but the journey.
If the same "land" went into your local Six Flags in a fraction of the time, I'd argue that there wasn't as much infrastructure needs to address as in DHS (don't know, just guessing).
Also, and this doesn't justify the price tag, but TSL is meant to be the "younger brother" companion land to it's "older brother" SWL.

More like red headed step child.

CJR

:(
I know it wouldn't fit with the theming of the land, but it's too bad that Disney won't build a legitimate Pizza Planet

Technically they still could have and had it relatively in theme at DHS. Who's to say they didn't make a Pizza Planet toy set? We have toy Walmart delivery trucks, and Pizza Planet is much cooler than Walmart. Given Andy's love for the place, I could see him (or more likely, his parents) buying a set and playing with it. Really, it's just a missed opportunity IMO.

Disneyhead'71

Thank you for typing this, you saved me from having to do it. And I agree, Volcano Bay is nowhere near the theming level of the Disney water parks as you stated because of all those neon slides. Just throwing a thatched roof on top of a purple neon slide doesn't help. And as you stated, there is no berm, your right next to I-4. I can almost guarantee you will be able to see the highway as you come out into that big funnel.
View attachment 193666
The slides aren't neon.

EdC

Toy story land is starting to sound on par with dinorama. Clearly someone didn't learn from round 1.
Dinorama is meant to look like a carnival. A great deal of effort went into making it look that way. In movies there are scenes that not everyone likes, just the same in the parks.

As for the $200 million figure.. they had to have been doing imagineering work on concepts in the background. Testing out ideas certainly isn't free and will add to the overhead that someone has to end up paying for. Sounds like Toy Story Land gets to pay part of the bill. It lets the parks amortize and deduct those development costs. Paying the bill here and making it look extra expensive is exactly what I'd expect out of an executive running a publicly traded company.

Capsin4

Weathering the asphalt was probably the hardest element at C&Hs. Other than that, I don't see much beyond carnival rides with consistent signage and color schemes. Then again, I might not mind the area as much if the theme and rides weren't chosen specifically to replace a more expensive and likely better plan.

Casper Gutman

I still say a land of dark rides like Fantasyland should've been the way to go. Not ours though, Disneyland where it's jam packed with them.

I'm pretty sure ONE new dark ride in the planned TSL would have quieted about 70% of the complaints. Two would have made people ecstatic (well, me at least).

It's odd to see them spending so much money on an area that's going to immediately be at the top of the next management team's list of things that need to be fixed.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
What's stranger to me is they waited so long.

Yeah, there is definitely stuff in place now that they could have used the crane for. The only thing I can think is that they decided this would be an easier way to install the coaster track as opposed to using a mobile crane.

Marlins1

Not really what I was getting at but no big deal ;). Some said a crane should not be necessary at all. I was thinking it could be there short term for a specific reason and then move on to the more elaborate project long before TSL opens.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom