Toy Story Land expansion announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
You mentioned a while back that the Toy Story plans (post the newest concept art) were being looked at in an effort to bolster the offerings without letting the cost shoot back up. Is there any possibility that they're adding some theming back to the land/rides/etc. in lieu of making this an actual restaurant?
That I don't know.

azox

:(
I know it wouldn't fit with the theming of the land, but it's too bad that Disney won't build a legitimate Pizza Planet in Disney Springs or something. Not the Pizza Planet of DHS, but an actual restaurant with wall to wall arcade games and good pizza.

I gave up hope on that when they removed the tomorrowland arcade which now is just walled off. It was nice to play some pinball there occasionally when in the park.

azox

You mentioned a while back that the Toy Story plans (post the newest concept art) were being looked at in an effort to bolster the offerings without letting the cost shoot back up. Is there any possibility that they're adding some theming back to the land/rides/etc. in lieu of making this an actual restaurant?

That would be great to see. I keep hoping one of the construction shots will show the trenches being put back in :)

sunsetblvd26

Very related. For the budget it should knock our socks off. Not be just "not that bad".
...Again, I'm not talking about the price tag, simply the quality. The cost could be 200 mil or 75 bucks, that's not really what I'm concerned with.

Plus while the other TSLs can give an estimate, this is different, so we really don't know how well everything will be themed until it's done.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
...Again, I'm not talking about the price tag, simply the quality. The cost could be 200 mil or 75 bucks, that's not really what I'm concerned with.

Plus while the other TSLs can give an estimate, this is different, so we really don't know how well everything will be themed until it's done.
Okay.

sunsetblvd26

"Disney: Not that bad."
Witty guy you are. Not really what the meaning of that phrase was in context. When I say "not that bad", I'm pointing out how it is being made out like the worst possible land they could have made when in reality TSL is a cute and fun land, with a nice theme (and yes, even though it's not "knocking our socks off").

lazyboy97o

I really think this thread has blown way out of proportion lately the quality of Toy Story Land. It's being made out like Six Flags is renting space in the park and threw woody in the middle of it. No it's not going to be the next Pandora, but it was never supposed to be...while for the actual new attractions I would have preferred at least another dark ride somewhere in there, Toy Story Land really is not that bad.
It is a roller coaster and flat ride. That is what it is. Something Six Flags routinely gets built in an off season for a fraction of the cost. And yes, cost is absolutely a factor with regards to quality.

Marlins1

I don't need rides for young children anymore but this addition would have been very welcome when my daughter was small. At that stage she already enjoyed Epcot but some days at HS with the old TSMM capacity she would not get on a single ride and that simply does not work for kids at a theme park.

sunsetblvd26

It is a roller coaster and flat ride. That is what it is. Something Six Flags routinely gets built in an off season for a fraction of the cost. And yes, cost is absolutely a factor with regards to quality.
But treating it just as a roller coaster and flat ride I think is selling it a bit short, as it is a nicely themed land. And no, it absolutely is not. Never once have I gone to any attraction or park and thought "wow, this is a nice experience. If only it cost less for TWDC!". Simply put it just is not (or shouldn't be) a concern to guests and how well done it is (and if it really is to you, well, I'm sorry).

CaptainAmerica

That's a little disingenuous. It's like taking Tower of Terror and calling it a "drop tower," something Six Flags routinely gets built in an off season for a fraction of the cost.

MrHappy

Okay, so where did the 200 mil go? Is it possible that the land needed a lot of work. Wasn't there a canal or some water there that had to be rerouted, some other foundational issues to address? Sure, 200 mil is what TSL is - and it's not seen in the final product...but the journey.
If the same "land" went into your local Six Flags in a fraction of the time, I'd argue that there wasn't as much infrastructure needs to address as in DHS (don't know, just guessing).
Also, and this doesn't justify the price tag, but TSL is meant to be the "younger brother" companion land to it's "older brother" SWL.

lazyboy97o

But treating it just as a roller coaster and flat ride I think is selling it a bit short, as it is a nicely themed land. And no, it absolutely is not. Never once have I gone to any attraction or park and thought "wow, this is a nice experience. If only it cost less for TWDC!". Simply put it just is not (or shouldn't be) a concern to guests and how well done it is (and if it really is to you, well, I'm sorry).
That's a little disingenuous. It's like taking Tower of Terror and calling it a "drop tower," something Six Flags routinely gets built in an off season for a fraction of the cost.
In this case it is a roller coaster and flat ride.

Slinky Dog Dash is a Mack Launched Coaster. It is not some new or unique ride system. At best the columns are unique, but the columns on a steel coaster are also so simple in their needs that they can easily be outsourced to local pipe manufacturers.

The flat ride is a design unique to Disney, but this is not the first installation and it is still a flat ride.

brb1006

:(
I know it wouldn't fit with the theming of the land, but it's too bad that Disney won't build a legitimate Pizza Planet in Disney Springs or something. Not the Pizza Planet of DHS, but an actual restaurant with wall to wall arcade games and good pizza.
The closest any Disney Park will get to Pizza Planet would be Tokyo Disneyland with the Pizza making machine.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom