Toy Story Land expansion announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

kpilcher

Theme park fans who like the Disney Parks for their elevated level of sophistication and class over all other theme park operators will see this as little more than Chester & Hester's V2.0
Except C&H was built in months for little money and designed to be wiped away in a couple of days when the time came for the "real" Dinoland expansion. Temporary lasts a lot
Longer at WDW than it should (and, for the record, I don't completely hate C&H. It adds needed capacity and some kinetics). Toy Story Land looks like it should be able to open in a few months, but 2018 seems to be the earliest date I've heard lately. For a (fun looking) flat ride, A somewhat bigger Barnstormer, and. 3rd track for TSM that should have already been open by now. Nothing in the concept art looks like it should take a year to build. Much less 2-3. Mako & Hulk 2.0 (and the surrounding developments ) are being done in months. The rest of the land had better be a lot more special than what it seems. (Art of Animation resort In a theme park). This should be a quick and cheap addition.

MonkeyHead

As a former BLT CM, I might be able to clear some of this up. What you saw on the tour is indeed creative costuming, which handles the costumes for all the parades and shows on WDW property. Not sure if they do any work for shows at other Disney locations but I would assume they might from time to time. As far as I know, the place was pretty busy during the week with probably 10-20 people working there, and that's just in the showroom visible to guests. There are several offices located upstairs and behind the showroom which I'm sure had several people working there as well. I would think those people are still there, and will need to be relocated, though I doubt a brand new facility would necessarily need to be built.

As for the rest of that building, I don't think anything else would need to be replaced. The prop workshop was essentially just a satellite location for central shops, which is a far bigger facility located behind the MK. Any work being done there could just as easily be moved to the bigger location. The rest of the building was for storage; many of the Christmas lights were stored between costuming and the workshop, and all the rooms on the right side of the tram were used to store tires for LMA.

Some people have mentioned wardrobe, and this is the place where CMs pick up and drop off their costumes. It is located in the Cast Services building directly behind Indy. If the rumors are true about SWL expanding into the parking lot, that building will need to be replaced somewhere. I would guess they will put it wherever they plan on relocating CM parking. If it were me, I would build a brand new lot and Cast Services building across World Drive just north of where they are planning on building the fireworks launch site. You could even include space for Creative Costuming there as well.

And to expand on this, Creative Costuming WILL be relocating... It just hasn't happened yet. But it will have to happen before land clearing for TSL can begin.

DisDan

To all the "Wait before judging" people, can I just ask, what expectations do you have exactly? So far the only positivity towards the land that I've seen is about how much better it's likely going to be than Toy Story Playland.

My expectations are that it will be a fun land that I can enjoy with my family. We go to wdw for fun and spending time with friends and family. What about you?

ToTBellHop

Except C&H was built in months for little money and designed to be wiped away in a couple of days when the time came for the "real" Dinoland expansion. Temporary lasts a lot
Longer at WDW than it should (and, for the record, I don't completely hate C&H. It adds needed capacity and some kinetics). Toy Story Land looks like it should be able to open in a few months, but 2018 seems to be the earliest date I've heard lately. For a (fun looking) flat ride, A somewhat bigger Barnstormer, and. 3rd track for TSM that should have already been open by now. Nothing in the concept art looks like it should take a year to build. Much less 2-3. Mako & Hulk 2.0 (and the surrounding developments ) are being done in months. The rest of the land had better be a lot more special than what it seems. (Art of Animation resort In a theme park). This should be a quick and cheap addition.
You don't seem to have any knowledge of the time required for the rock work and trench building this land requires. The coaster will be longer than Mine Train, let alone Barnstormer. I understand it is "just a coaster" but some are selling it short.

Actual build time for the land is 18 months. Appropriate for a land. It would be nice if construction started earlier, but it didn't.

Kate F

My expectations are that it will be a fun land that I can enjoy with my family. We go to wdw for fun and spending time with friends and family. What about you?
I also expect that it will be fun for the whole family. I wish we were getting more rides and I would prefer a different theme, but overall, it seems like it will be a nice and needed addition to the park. I just hope they don't cheap out on it.

ToTBellHop

I also expect that it will be fun for the whole family. I wish we were getting more rides and I would prefer a different theme, but overall, it seems like it will be a nice and needed addition to the park. I just hope they don't cheap out on it.
It has a healthy budget. Similar to the whole of the Fantasyland Expansion.

It's not Star Wars Land, but if they blew their wad on two $1 bn lands with the monies given by the Board, that's all we'd get. And that's inefficient.

Disneyhead'71

The Mater ride is a clone of a fun, popular ride in Cars Land and I enjoy roller coasters, especially those with extensive rock work, mid-course launches, and triple-downs for airtime. I also like RnRC and California Screamin'. I'm expecting to have fun with my children. I would love to hear how this area, with Midway Mania, a coaster, and a flat ride is much different than a similar portion of, say, Fantasyland. Like the walk by Pooh and Mine Train on the way to Mad Tea Party.
To start with, 7DMT isn't a decorated bare steel coaster and Pooh is an old school AA laden dark ride that doesn't spend large parts of the ride time parked in front of a flat screen TV.

kpilcher

You don't seem to have any knowledge of the time required for the rock work and trench building this land requires. The coaster will be longer than Mine Train, let alone Barnstormer. I understand it is "just a coaster" but some are selling it short.

Actual build time for the land is 18 months. Appropriate for a land. It would be nice if construction started earlier, but it didn't.
Trench building for the coaster I can believe takes a little time. But WHAT real rock work do you see here?? This isn't Avatar or CarsLand. And while I am no expert in construction I HAVE seen quality work done in themed environments in less time than even 18 months.

kpilcher

It's not Star Wars Land, but if they blew their wad on two $1 bn lands with the monies given by the Board, that's all we'd get. And that's inefficient.

The Star Wars budget is in a galaxy far, far below $1 billion.

Kate F

When I say that I hope they don't cheap out, I'm referring to the way the land will look and the budget cuts that might occur, given Disney's recent track record.

ToTBellHop

When I say that I hope they don't cheap out, I'm referring to the way the land will look and the budget cuts that might occur, given Disney's recent track record.
Unfortunately, some will view it as cheap regardless because it is themed with toys.

Does Midway Mania seem cheap? This is a land that expands on that ride's aesthetic.

Kate F

I don't think Midway Mania is cheap, but it does rely a bit too much on screens for my liking, and I prefer Buzz. When I rode it, the screens were a bit blurry and it kind of took me out of it.

ToTBellHop

Yes. Very!
Then you know all you need to about the land.

On the other hand, it was a good enough ride for DisneySea, and they can do no wrong.
image.jpeg

Goofyernmost

That must be why the lines are hours long. Can you imagine the lines if it wasn't "cheap"? Things don't have to cost a fortune to be fun to do. Everyone is stuck on spending millions when people like simple things too. At least those people that are able to put the past in the past and take the positive out of the present. We all have the choice to be happy or unhappy. Some just like misery!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom