Toy Story Land expansion announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

lazyboy97o

I'm from Europe and i often frequent Paris DisneyLand - please someone reassure me that Toy Story Land at DHS won't be anything like the one in Paris. That is so cheap and naff it's not rite.
Rides are definitely different but despite the released art showing the same aesthetic and the concept being the same, there is widespread denial about the similarities.

DisDan

Rides are definitely different but despite the released art showing the same aesthetic and the concept being the same, there is widespread denial about the similarities.

So you always hear people saying don't judge an attraction based on concept art. Yet, you seem fit to judge a land based on concept art before it has even been built. Convenient for you I guess marching to your own drum. You may not like the IDEA of TSL but please stop spreading FUD.... that is all.

ToTBellHop

So you always hear people saying don't judge an attraction based on concept art. Yet, you seem fit to judge a land based on concept art before it has even been built. Convenient for you I guess marching to your own drum. You may not like the IDEA of TSL but please stop spreading FUD.... that is all.
Thank goodness people don't base their views of Pooh's Hunny Hunt on our Pooh ride. Same theme, vastly different experience. Not that I'm suggesting anything in TSL is up to Hunny Hunt's quality. Just that it's seemingly very different from Playland.

lazyboy97o

Except that this art matches previous work. It is not an unknown except for those in denial.

ToTBellHop

Except that this art matches previous work. It is not an unknown except for those in denial.
So you've ridden the two new rides? I understand folks not appreciating the aesthetic, but a big part of the experience of a land is the rides. See also New Fantasyland. It would be lovely to have nice aesthetic AND rides (like Star Wars Land) but not everything can be $1 bn. At least the meat of this land will be much better than Playlands. It's like upgrading from McDonald's to Five Guys. Still a burger but better meat (right? Five Guys uses better meat, right? Tastes better...). Star Wars Land should be Ruth's Chris.

lazyboy97o

So you've ridden the two new rides? I understand folks not appreciating the aesthetic, but a big part of the experience of a land is the rides. See also New Fantasyland. It would be lovely to have nice aesthetic AND rides (like Star Wars Land) but not everything can be $1 bn. At least the meat of this land will be much better than Playlands. It's like upgrading from McDonald's to Five Guys. Still a burger but better meat (right? Five Guys uses better meat, right? Tastes better...). Star Wars Land should be Ruth's Chris.
Only one of the two new rides is unique and it is a roller coaster themed to be a roller coaster. If you want flat rides and roller coasters to be the heart of your experience then you're asking for an amusement park, not a themed experience. Even then, the meat of the existing lands is flat rides.

The idea of a single land costing anywhere near $1 billion is just insane. There also shouldn't be the well done areas and the tossed together areas when dealing with a premier experience.

elchippo

I have no reason NOT to believe at this point that TSL will be different from Paris or Hong Kong... but I still wonder how many times they're willing to go back to the drawing board for such a similar concept....
"I know we just developed Toy Story lands in Paris and Hong Kong, but now we need a Toy Story Land for Florida but it MUST be COMPLETELY different than what we've just done overseas, even though most people will never get to compare the three different versions! So get on it!"

Goofyernmost

I have no reason NOT to believe at this point that TSL will be different from Paris or Hong Kong... but I still wonder how many times they're willing to go back to the drawing board for such a similar concept....
"I know we just developed Toy Story lands in Paris and Hong Kong, but now we need a Toy Story Land for Florida but it MUST be COMPLETELY different than what we've just done overseas, even though most people will never get to compare the three different versions! So get on it!"
Why must it be different?

ToTBellHop

Only one of the two new rides is unique and it is a roller coaster themed to be a roller coaster. If you want flat rides and roller coasters to be the heart of your experience then you're asking for an amusement park, not a themed experience. Even then, the meat of the existing lands is flat rides.

The idea of a single land costing anywhere near $1 billion is just insane. There also shouldn't be the well done areas and the tossed together areas when dealing with a premier experience.
There's a park in California with lots of coasters and flat rides that people rave about. And right next door there is a newer park with flats and coasters (including a copy of the flat we are getting) that people rave about.

lazyboy97o

so the style is similar but the substance is very different right?
The substance of a themed experience is the experience. That has been described by Disney as being toy sized in Andy's backyard, the exact same description of the Toy Story Playlands. What you do may be different but the goal is the same.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
We can all be the judge...again and again and again

Toy Story Playland...
2.jpg

Toy Story Land Concept Art for DHS. Looks to be more expansive with a lot more going on. At the very very least, it is going to be Toy Story Playland but plussed. In my opinion, it looks to be more than just plussed. The slinky coaster alone makes it a lot better.
1.jpg

Last edited:

twebber55

Toy Story Playland...think this is the DLP version.
View attachment 127266

Toy Story Land Concept Art for DHS. Looks to be more expansive with a lot more going on. At the very very least, it is going to be Toy Story Playland but plussed. In my opinion, it looks to be more than just plussed. The slinky coaster alone makes it a lot better.
View attachment 127265
i agree
this will be a different experience than those others

Herc11

Oh for the love of God. Yes, it's the same building. The part you saw was basically just for show. The building is far larger.

It is the Creative Costuming building for all of Entertainment. I don't know how much more plain I can get about it. Wardrobe is NOT entertainment. And yes as of right now it is under active daily operation.

As a former BLT CM, I might be able to clear some of this up. What you saw on the tour is indeed creative costuming, which handles the costumes for all the parades and shows on WDW property. Not sure if they do any work for shows at other Disney locations but I would assume they might from time to time. As far as I know, the place was pretty busy during the week with probably 10-20 people working there, and that's just in the showroom visible to guests. There are several offices located upstairs and behind the showroom which I'm sure had several people working there as well. I would think those people are still there, and will need to be relocated, though I doubt a brand new facility would necessarily need to be built.

As for the rest of that building, I don't think anything else would need to be replaced. The prop workshop was essentially just a satellite location for central shops, which is a far bigger facility located behind the MK. Any work being done there could just as easily be moved to the bigger location. The rest of the building was for storage; many of the Christmas lights were stored between costuming and the workshop, and all the rooms on the right side of the tram were used to store tires for LMA.

Some people have mentioned wardrobe, and this is the place where CMs pick up and drop off their costumes. It is located in the Cast Services building directly behind Indy. If the rumors are true about SWL expanding into the parking lot, that building will need to be replaced somewhere. I would guess they will put it wherever they plan on relocating CM parking. If it were me, I would build a brand new lot and Cast Services building across World Drive just north of where they are planning on building the fireworks launch site. You could even include space for Creative Costuming there as well.

Kate F

I've tried so hard to be positive about TSL, but I just can't find anything to be excited about, and I am always a bit baffled every time I see someone say not to judge it until it's completely built. I understand where they are coming from, we can't actually make a full judgment until we see it all firsthand, but the concept alone leaves much to be desired. I admit, I'm pretty worn out on Toy Story as a whole at this point, so I may be a bit biased when it comes to the choice of theme, but I just don't think the IP lends itself to an elaborately themed land. I'm sure it will be better than Toy Story Playland, but I still don't know how anyone can expect anything amazing.

Yes, the park desperately needs family rides and this land will provide that, but it seems like pretty much everyone knows that the theming isn't going to be anywhere as impressive as SWL or Avatar, and they are okay with that just because it's a family land. I think they are just viewing the land as a necessary filler.

SirLink

The people in this thread that say we can't make a judgement on TSL, because it is just concept art. The reason for concept art is to sell executives when they are handing out the mulah, it also to give a presentation of what TSL would be without it being fully built out. Just because they are choosing 3 different rides to represent TSL it is the same land. Will it be a better TSL? Yes. Will it fulfill the job of the IP land? Nope. Why? People banging on this stupid idea of no height requirement rides - so Disney will add 2 height requirement rides to the park.

djkidkaz

Toy Story Playland...
View attachment 127266

View attachment 127265

Other than DHS taking up more space they look pretty similar to me.
image.jpeg

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom