Toy Story Land expansion announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

Goofyernmost

You are mistaking the CM wardrobe places (every park has them) for Costuming at DHS. Not the same at all.
When it was a working studio, it made sense to have it there, but, it has been a long times since there have been more then two or three people working in that room at any time. It doesn't really make sense to have costuming, in the sense of actually producing them, in each park. Then again, Disney has done a lot of things that don't make much sense, but, when it comes to cutting costs, they are pretty proficient doing that.

When I took the big backlot tour a few years ago, the place in Epcot was making costumes for the MK parade. If MK had their own costume production, wouldn't they have been doing that in MK?

Next Big Thing

When it was a working studio, it made sense to have it there, but, it has been a long times since there have been more then two or three people working in that room at any time. It doesn't really make sense to have costuming, in the sense of actually producing them, in each park. Then again, Disney has done a lot of things that don't make much sense, but, when it comes to cutting costs, they are pretty proficient doing that.

When I took the big backlot tour a few years ago, the place in Epcot was making costumes for the MK parade. If MK had their own costume production, wouldn't they have been doing that in MK?
Every park has a WARDROBE, not costuming. It is absolutely necessary so that the CMs, ya know, have their costumes for their shifts and everything. Those places see an insane amount of throughput each day. The Magic Kingdom wardrobe building I swear you could get lost in, it's like a small Wal-Mart.

Goofyernmost

Every park has a WARDROBE, not costuming. It is absolutely necessary so that the CMs, ya know, have their costumes for their shifts and everything. Those places see an insane amount of throughput each day. The Magic Kingdom wardrobe building I swear you could get lost in, it's like a small Wal-Mart.
I apologize, I thought we were talking about costuming, which is the building in question at DHS. Yes, Wardrobe and Costumes are two different animals. The place where the actual garments are created does not have to be in the same park. It can be central like the laundry is, but, that said, I do not have inside information about that, it just doesn't make sense to me that they need a production location in every park. Wardrobe, of course, that would be a nightmare if a CM had to go to Epcot to get their location wardrobe for MK. I have been in a wardrobe department in either MK or Epcot, can't remember which one now, and it was humongous and very impressive.

ToTBellHop

I apologize, I thought we were talking about costuming, which is the building in question at DHS. Yes, Wardrobe and Costumes are two different animals. The place where the actual garments are created does not have to be in the same park. It can be central like the laundry is, but, that said, I do not have inside information about that, it just doesn't make sense to me that they need a production location in every park. Wardrobe, of course, that would be a nightmare if a CM had to go to Epcot to get their location wardrobe for MK. I have been in a wardrobe department in either MK or Epcot, can't remember which one now, and it was humongous and very impressive.
At the completion of Traditions:
image.jpeg

Next Big Thing

Yeah, it certainly doesn't need to be in the park, but that's why I question why they wouldn't have started to move the building when they closed BLT... when they closed it, it was obviously for future expansion and Costuming has to go for that to happen. They should've been proactive on this, even if they didn't know exactly what was going to be built at the time.

Goingdown13

Yeah, it certainly doesn't need to be in the park, but that's why I question why they wouldn't have started to move the building when they closed BLT... when they closed it, it was obviously for future expansion and Costuming has to go for that to happen. They should've been proactive on this, even if they didn't know exactly what was going to be built at the time.

The good thing about moving costuming is that it's just a big warehouse with changing rooms. It won't take long to construct a new one. However with construction studios cast will be parking off site for the years of construction like they do during the holidays, most likely at Epcot. If need be I would not be even slightly surprised if they put studios costumes in Epcot costuming temporarily.

Next Big Thing

The good thing about moving costuming is that it's just a big warehouse with changing rooms. It won't take long to construct a new one. However with construction studios cast will be parking off site for the years of construction like they do during the holidays, most likely at Epcot. If need be I would not be even slightly surprised if they put studios costumes in Epcot costuming temporarily.
Yeah, I mean we saw how quickly they built and opened up the new "Club Disney" building. And they themed that and put in a lot of tech stuff. A giant warehouse can be set up somewhere and at least get the move started fairly quickly imo.

Goofyernmost

Yeah, I mean we saw how quickly they built and opened up the new "Club Disney" building. And they themed that and put in a lot of tech stuff. A giant warehouse can be set up somewhere and at least get the move started fairly quickly imo.
Are they even using that facility anymore? No tram tour so no need to have it staffed for that. It hardly had anyone in there when the tour was happening. Do we know that it hasn't already moved? From what I can tell the maintenance shop next door is just being used to store the vehicles for Toy Story right now. Even if they haven't physically moved the equipment yet, it's mostly just tables. I don't remember seeing any sewing machines last time I saw it, but, to be honest, I wasn't really looking for them.

SCOTLORR

I think opening TSL by late 2017 (say opening in Nov 2017 before the Thanksgiving/Christmas/NY rush) should be the goal and could certainly happen. The Alien ride might be being built as we speak off site. Same goes with the parts for the roller coaster. They are not complex additions that needs to be built on site, but can be more modular and installed. The main thing for the land in DHS is the land clearing/prep. Even if it take 6-12 months for land clearing, why wouldn't they be able to install the attractions and theming elements in a year?
I completely agree. there is nothing about TSL that can hold back the timeline. They really should be building all the ride pieces as we speak and just drop them in as the land is cleared. TSL has to be treated for what it is-- a family area with rides everyone can go on that will take in crowds during a busy day. That's not to say i'm not excited about (Because I am) but they have to get this open at a reasonable time, especially since it is nowhere near as complex as a star wars or avatar type land.

twebber55

Toy story lands in Paris and Hong Kong took roughly 10 months to build from shovels to guests experiencing the rides.
It took roughly 15 months after announcement for Paris.

Now- we are looking at nearly double the construction time and announcement time at DHS. While this might frustrate some people, I believe it lends credence that this will not just be a "cheap" area. I'm not expecting Pandora, but I'm expecting something significantly better than the $76 million TSL in Paris and Hong Kong. And that takes more time.
If you want something in 10 months or a year, they could do it- it just wouldn't be a TSL that you or I would be happy with.
well its a different land right? this is not a clone, different rides etc but i get your point

SYRIK2000

Last I heard they were building a new version somewhere else, not necessarily at DHS, that would take 9-12 months to build. I can't see them pulling it down until the new building is ready. I also can't see them bulldozing anything until all the buildings are free.

It could also be moved somewhere temporarily until new facility is ready. Just need a big open space with power.

Goofyernmost

What "old Laundry facility" are you referring to?
I was also under the impression that Disney built a new Laundry facility, but, I never personally confirmed it. It wasn't that important to me. The one I saw was way, way in the backlot near the main maintenance facility. It was a very mind blowing facility. I just assumed it was to small now to take care of an expanding resort. Is there no newer one?

I was also under the impression that Disney built a new Laundry facility, but, I never personally confirmed it. It wasn't that important to me. The one I saw was way, way in the backlot near the main maintenance facility. It was a very mind blowing facility. I just assumed it was to small now to take care of an expanding resort. Is there no newer one?
There are at LEAST 2, if not 3 laundry facilities now - don't recall the exact number. But definitely more than one.

MonkeyHead

As usual, people talking without knowing what they're talking about.

Creative Costuming is where all the entertainment costumes are built and designed. It's a huge deal and they don't just manage WDW.

Dozens of people work in there daily and it must be moved for the parks to continue to operate.

Next Big Thing

Creative Costuming is where all the entertainment costumes are built and designed. It's a huge deal and they don't just manage WDW.

Dozens of people work in there daily and it must be moved for the parks to continue to operate.
The question is why did they wait until now to do it though. This move should've been planned with permits filed for a new building slightly after the BLT closed.

Jon81uk

Back Lot Tour closed 16 months ago, thats plenty of time to build a new facility!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom