Toy Story Land expansion announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I was also under the impression that Disney built a new Laundry facility, but, I never personally confirmed it. It wasn't that important to me. The one I saw was way, way in the backlot near the main maintenance facility. It was a very mind blowing facility. I just assumed it was to small now to take care of an expanding resort. Is there no newer one?

There was just a new one built last year at the corner of Osceola and I-4, but it was not a replacement for any of the existing ones.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I don't disagree - they're taking their sweet time moving everything from backstage.

My post is in response to certain people claiming that nothing happens in that building because they think the tram tour view actually meant anything.

The tram tour view did mean something, it wasn't just for show.

NormC

What "old Laundry facility" are you referring to?
They built the large new facility for Disney Textile Services that opened last year near AOA and ESPN and I was curious what happened to the old ones. The new one is the largest in the world according to them. They had three and I am not sure if the new one makes four or if because it was so large and technologically advanced that it replaced one of the old ones. I believe the answer is they now have four.

Goofyernmost

The tram tour view did mean something, it wasn't just for show.
I'm sure it did at one time and I even remember when it did. However, after they stopped the studio activity it was deserted most of the time and looked like it was only there to have the tram ride people have something to look at.

G00fyDad

I'm sure it did at one time and I even remember when it did. However, after they stopped the studio activity it was deserted most of the time and looked like it was only there to have the tram ride people have something to look at.

It did seem as though it didn't have as much activity going on inside as would be required for the job it supposedly handled in a division the size of Walt Disney World.

Goofyernmost

As usual, people talking without knowing what they're talking about.

Creative Costuming is where all the entertainment costumes are built and designed. It's a huge deal and they don't just manage WDW.

Dozens of people work in there daily and it must be moved for the parks to continue to operate.
Aside from the fact that your first sentence is totally ludicrous, we have all been asking not telling. A huge deal, btw, isn't dozens, it's hundreds and if there were hundreds of people working in there they must have all been under the table because I never saw any of them after the studio's closed. Token representation at best.

Has anyone been back there since the tour closed and actually seen people working in there? Is everyone just jumping to the conclusion that it's still operating and will take hoards of time to relocate? For all anyone knows it moved months ago as far as being an active location.
The question is why did they wait until now to do it though. This move should've been planned with permits filed for a new building slightly after the BLT closed.
I'll ask again, are people assuming that it hasn't already moved months ago or are we just so sure that Disney screws up everything that they are assuming it is still in operation? The few people that were ever in there at any one time could easily be incorporated in a different location. They sure as hell weren't producing enough costumes there to keep DHS clothed. Sometimes if people just opened their eyes and wiped out the accumulation of pixie dust, the reality will show right through.

Goingdown13

Aside from the fact that your first sentence is totally ludicrous, we have all been asking not telling. A huge deal, btw, isn't dozens, it's hundreds and if there were hundreds of people working in there they must have all been under the table because I never saw any of them after the studio's closed. Token representation at best.

Has anyone been back there since the tour closed and actually seen people working in there? Is everyone just jumping to the conclusion that it's still operating and will take hoards of time to relocate? For all anyone knows it moved months ago as far as being an active location.

I'll ask again, are people assuming that it hasn't already moved months ago or are we just so sure that Disney screws up everything that they are assuming it is still in operation? The few people that were ever in there at any one time could easily be incorporated in a different location. They sure as hell weren't producing enough costumes there to keep DHS clothed. Sometimes if people just opened their eyes and wiped out the accumulation of pixie dust, the reality will show right through.

I do know creative costuming as of a few weeks ago still had people working. Cast members who don't have costumes at costuming that fit them have to go there to get measured for custom costumes.

It might not be that many and they might have moved by now.

Goofyernmost

I do know creative costuming as of a few weeks ago still had people working. Cast members who don't have costumes at costuming that fit them have to go there to get measured for custom costumes.

It might not be that many and they might have moved by now.
Are we all talking about the same place. I'm talking about the costume producing place that was seen during the backstage tram ride. Costume creations and fitting are not the same as production from what I recall during my backstage tour. To my knowledge they didn't have that in that particular building. (I could be wrong) It just seems like we are constantly talking about two different things.

G00fyDad

Are we all talking about the same place. I'm talking about the costume producing place that was seen during the backstage tram ride. Costume creations and fitting are not the same as production from what I recall during my backstage tour. To my knowledge they didn't have that in that particular building. (I could be wrong) It just seems like we are constantly talking about two different things.

I think the costume area you were able to see from the tram ride was just for show anyway. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think it was a functional part of operations.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I think the costume area you were able to see from the tram ride was just for show anyway. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think it was a functional part of operations.

I am pretty sure it was part of operations, because it was the same room they took you on the Backstage Magic tour. I did the tour 6 years ago, and if it was for show they put a lot of effort into it.

Goofyernmost

I am pretty sure it was part of operations, because it was the same room they took you on the Backstage Magic tour. I did the tour 6 years ago, and if it was for show they put a lot of effort into it.
I agree that when Disney/MGM was at it's heyday, it was a very important part of operations. However, when TV shows and whatever movies they were doing stopped happening, it no longer had the heavy need. I think that they kept it going because it was still on the tram tour, however, when I was inside (during the backstage like you) there were only a handful of people in a very large room. That was also 6 or seven years ago. I know they still produced some costumes there, but, more of a token variety rather then a mission. That is the area that we have been discussing concerning relocation and I will be willing to bet that not much if anything has been happening in there since the tram stopped and that the primary costume creation (not to be confused with design and fitting) was already being handled at a different location.

G00fyDad

I'm sure that it served a purpose at one point in time and maybe still serves a backup roll, but as little as went on in there it leads me to believe that it wasn't a vital part of park costume operations.

MonkeyHead

Oh for the love of God. Yes, it's the same building. The part you saw was basically just for show. The building is far larger.

It is the Creative Costuming building for all of Entertainment. I don't know how much more plain I can get about it. Wardrobe is NOT entertainment. And yes as of right now it is under active daily operation.

G00fyDad

Oh for the love of God. Yes, it's the same building. The part you saw was basically just for show. The building is far larger.

It is the Creative Costuming building for all of Entertainment. I don't know how much more plain I can get about it. Wardrobe is NOT entertainment. And yes as of right now it is under active daily operation.

Calm down. There's no need to start praying to deities. I was having a conversation with another individual about exactly what the purpose of this building is and was. No need to get your underwear in a bunch. ;)

Unplugged

They seemed to do very little for show over the years as "show" costs them with little return. When they could piggy back actual operations onto tour visibility, that was the way they rolled as well as knowing that people actually pay to see operations. So I'd say you're right that it was actual operations. I thought it was also a sub-set of their operations that started as studio production and gradually changed to operations. Just thinking out loud, I've been wrong before and will be again.

stini228

They built the large new facility for Disney Textile Services that opened last year near AOA and ESPN and I was curious what happened to the old ones. The new one is the largest in the world according to them. They had three and I am not sure if the new one makes four or if because it was so large and technologically advanced that it replaced one of the old ones. I believe the answer is they now have four.

You are correct..the existing laundry facilities are still in operation.

Goofyernmost

You could have tried just saying that and not expecting us to read your mind. Maybe next time!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom