Toy Story Land expansion announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

Baltar

$4 billion for EPCOT
Just to recap.. it seems that what we know as Pixar Place is going to be close and replaced with trees or whatever and the TSMM entrance flipped to the backside of the building. So basically it seems One Man's Dream is being shuttered for a pathway?

Jon81uk

Where and when? 2030 perhaps?

There's not one in Avatar, that has two rides, a D ticket Soarin' clone and a C ticket water ride. It looked like it may have gotten a E ticket roller coaster at one point, but that got cut ages ago.

Right now, there's a lot of possible, very little actually happening.

Soarin' itself and the new Avatar version would be E-tickets due to the popularity.

Take a look at the ticket ratings on the guidebook in this thread http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/walt-disney-word-guidebook-1976-part-1.903240/

Mouse_Trap

I'm pretty sure the flying ride is an E-ticket since it's not a Soarin' clone, it uses more advanced technology. Anyways, don't want to get any more off topic than we already are, but I'll agree with you that there has been a lack of big ticket rides the past 10 years or so at WDW. Hopefully the next 5 years fixes that.

Unfortunately not, I don't think any insiders are claiming it's any more than a D. More advanced than Soarin' granted, but that is really little more than a swinging screen in front of a screen and synchronised to a fan and an air freshener.

I really want to see Disney do nothing but the best, but the last decade has been really frustrating. The worst being is there is absolutely nothing in the pipeline that does anything for me at all.
Star Wars looks like 1 new screen based attraction and a re-theme of one existing screen based attraction; but I couldn't care less about Star Wars. It holds no interest for me whatsoever. Sure I'll ride it when I go next, but its not something I'm excited about. Potter is on the same level for me - no interest. However, I can appreciate an amazing ride such as Forbidden Journey.

Avatar, another screen attraction and a tame water ride. No interest in the IP, I so wish it was something else; but again will take a look in the future.

Frozen - overlay of an awfully boring attraction. No interest.

Toy Story Playland, love the IP but the announcement is massively underwhelming (as expected). Another cheap spinner a Barnstormer-esq Kiddie Coaster and another track for what will be a 10 year old wii style screen shooter.

Disney Springs strip mall...more generic shops and chain restaurants. Could have been so much more.

doctornick

I'm not talking about the inside of the building, I'm talking about the roof top. Maybe it will just be roof top dinning for the restaurant. That could be a rather kinetic area to grab some food and watch the coaster.

I think it is just themed because you'll be able to view it from the coaster. No people will be able to go up there.

Mouse_Trap

Mickey_777

oooh I wouldn't mind that at all. Entering each "land" thru a backlot style building sounds cool. It would be akin to the big reveal you get coming thru the tunnel onto MS at Magic Kingdom/DL. Not sure how plausible this would be for Star Wars Land or anything else coming down the road though.

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
Assuming they start soon. Avatar announcement was made in September 2011, yet we didn't see ground-breaking until January 2014. We won't see it opening until mid-2017 at least.

Agreed, I don't see this costing as much as $60m, and if any more they're completely overpaying.
The question is, where is the rest being spend. I haven't yet gotten through all the Star Wars stuff to see an estimate there. But even if it was $1bn (and I doubt that, based on the headline announcements) there a huge hole.

I would still argue that what they're doing still isn't near enough for the entirety of WDW.
To get a new E ticket every other year shouldn't be taxing between the 4 parks. Yet we haven't have one E-ticket for 10 years, and there's no more than 1 in the plans for the next 6 years.

Ground breaking will be in 2017 (at least at Disneyland) according to Disney.

Provocateur, Rancanteur, Plaisanter, du Jour
oooh I wouldn't mind that at all. Entering each "land" thru a backlot style building sounds cool. It would be akin to the big reveal you get coming thru the tunnel onto MS at Magic Kingdom/DL. Not sure how plausible this would be for Star Wars Land or anything else coming down the road though.

The "Toy Story" land will flow like Main Street into Adventureland. The Star Wars from Hollywood may be a bit jarring. I have faith that there will be great effort made to "gently" move from Hollywood to "un-named Planet".

*1023*

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Where and when? 2030 perhaps?

There's not one in Avatar, that has two rides, a D ticket Soarin' clone and a C ticket water ride. It looked like it may have gotten a E ticket roller coaster at one point, but that got cut ages ago.

Right now, there's a lot of possible, very little actually happening.

We don't know enough about the flying ride to judge whether it will be a D or an E. I think it could easily be an E.

Mickey_777

The "Toy Story" land will flow like Main Street into Adventureland. The Star Wars from Hollywood may be a bit jarring. I have faith that there will be great effort made to "gently" move from Hollywood to "un-named Planet".

*1023*

My understanding was you'd enter TS Land thru the gap to the left of the building housing One Man's Dream...not exactly "thru" a backlot style building but to where there'd be a reveal of the land one you walk through.

lazyboy97o

Does it really matter though? If you have kids under 4 years old then spend the majority of your time at the Magic Kingdom and problem is solved. Take half a day at DHS and do Great Movie Ride, Mermaid show, Disney Junior and Beauty & Beast (maybe Indiana Jones and car stunt show) plus the meet & greats. Adults only have three more attractions currently with Tower of Terror, Rock'n'Roller and Star Tours.
Parks are just better experiences when they are more inclusive. This is also a common complaint here regarding the park and this land is being praised for addressing that issue.

You've made some good arguments on why you think this land is a bad idea. And, I don't completely disagree with you as I would have rather seen other Pixar movies more represented in this area and beyond...so much to choose from. But, I would like to ask you to take the other side of the argument and explain why you think Disney actually decided on this besides the easy answer that Disney is cheap or dumb, I mean they are working with a 2.8 bil dollar budget here so why do you think they choose this?
Unfortunately, cheap and fast is the reason. This is a land that involves minimal work to create. The aesthetic design and its associated props have all been designed and fabricated twice now. Even any issues regarding the weather and these items have largely been addressed by building the land in Hong Kong. Large props also don't have to be as finely ornamented because they're bigger. Even the rides really fall into this category. The Green Aliens ride is also an already designed ride system. The 'custom' coaster is nothing special as several are built every winter in far harsher weather. Launches are not special either anymore. Custom cars are similarly not unique. Extra 'toy' track is just more track that gets fabricated.

If this is anything like the Disney's California Adventure project there is a good reason to be cheap like this. The project is one big project with one budget. If something early on is costing more then that money needs to come out of something later in the project. That means the little stuff coming on line first has the potential to eat away at the bigger stuff coming later. Toy Story Land is known. There should not be any big surprises in the cost since it has either been done before or is very standard stuff done rather routinely. There is no taking from Star Wars to help Toy Story.

Even why Toy Story Playland was created in the first place has to do with being cheap. Because of the debt situation, the finances of Euro Disney SCA were under intense scrutiny by the creditors. Every infusion of capital into the resort had to be approved by the assortment of creditors because that represented money not going towards servicing the debt. Fixing Walt Disney Studios Park had been a whole series of these small scale additions that could get approved even though it had become clear that this strategy was not working in Paris, Anaheim, Orlando or Hong Kong.

Being cheap however, is really not my problem with the land. It is the lack of a strong and consistent story that creates a realized fictional world. Anything fits in this land and it breaks the rules already established in the film.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
Assuming they start soon. Avatar announcement was made in September 2011, yet we didn't see ground-breaking until January 2014. We won't see it opening until mid-2017 at least.

Agreed, I don't see this costing as much as $60m, and if any more they're completely overpaying.
The question is, where is the rest being spend. I haven't yet gotten through all the Star Wars stuff to see an estimate there. But even if it was $1bn (and I doubt that, based on the headline announcements) there a huge hole.

I would still argue that what they're doing still isn't near enough for the entirety of WDW.
To get a new E ticket every other year shouldn't be taxing between the 4 parks. Yet we haven't have one E-ticket for 10 years, and there's no more than 1 in the plans for the next 6 years.

I may be in the minority... but I would take 1 fully immersed and detailed "land" with some attractions and non-E ticket rides (plural) over a single E ticket plopped anywhere

Jon81uk

:banghead: So Dumbo and TSMM are E-tickets also? Because they are hugely popular with massive lines.

There's nothing whatsoever about Soarin' which is E-ticket. Neither will the Avatar screen ride be.

Yes TSMM is an E ticket. The ticket system was designed to spread people out and limit access to the most popular attractions. Take a look at that 1976 guidebook, small world, hall of presidents and country bears were all E-tickets.
The current tier levels of FP+ works in a similar way. TSMM and Soarin' are both tier 1 attractions as they are popular.

space42

Yes TSMM is an E ticket. The ticket system was designed to spread people out and limit access to the most popular attractions. Take a look at that 1976 guidebook, small world, hall of presidents and country bears were all E-tickets.
The current tier levels of FP+ works in a similar way. TSMM and Soarin' are both tier 1 attractions as they are popular.

This is not quite correct. Peter Pan was a C-Ticket and Dumbo was a B-Ticket - both always had long lines just like now.

It is a measurement of quality / scope. TSMM and Soarin' are not the same quality or scope as Country Bears, Small World, and Hall of Presidents. That is why there are E-Tickets.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom