Toy Story Land expansion announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Something I haven't seen mentioned-

Did anyone notice the large amount of trees in the concept art? And the fact this will be "In Andy's backyard"?

Future world and Dinorama aside- there is not a more barren, concrete jungle than the whole of DHS. Having this land will absolutely create more of a "park" like feel instead of the current "studios" feel we have no. Definitely fits in with the transition they are moving towards (thankfully). Also thinking with the layout and entrances/exits you see on the concept art that the "flow" of the park is being thought of very highly as well. Refreshing to say the least... in theory, that is.
I think that may be a lot of artistic license. Not saying there won't be trees, but I wouldn't expect a forest either. If you look back at previous concept art, they go very heavy on trees and backgrounds that just don't materialize.

chiefs11

If they do put in trees in ToyStoryLand, I hope they can somehow shape them like giant bushes. Regular trees would throw off the scale, but giant bushes could enhance it and make it feel more like you are really toy-size in a backyard. Or maybe they can ship in some redwoods from CA. LOL

Mawg

If they do put in trees in ToyStoryLand, I hope they can somehow shape them like giant bushes. Regular trees would throw off the scale, but giant bushes could enhance it and make it feel more like you are really toy-size in a backyard. Or maybe they can ship in some redwoods from CA. LOL
Yes, I was thinking they would do really tall grasses to make you feel like you are in a lawn but the blades of grass are shoulder height.

note2001

Disney's imagineering group is huge, and until the remake of Test track I never really noticed the difference experience can make. (Don't get me wrong, TT came out okayish, but the old version had more energy to the atmosphere). It's clear to me now that there's an A team and a B team, perhaps even a C team, for stores, landscapes... little jobs.

I'm not complaining, DHS needs this so bad, but is anyone else get the feeling that the imagineers on the job for this are the newer kids on the block, the B team? Not because of child/toy theme as much as that it's as though they were given the examples that have already been done in other parks to improve upon, one of which was a ride design that was already built out, and just needed a re-theming. The senior imagineers stepped back and told them to "have at it kids, but here's the toolbox you have to keep to" (size, budget, materials, etc)

Chef Kronk

Someone I know went to DHS today and asked a cast member about OMD. They said that the closure of the attraction is "just internet rumors."

Yeah, so we'll remove Walt Disney's office and still tell the guests that it's not closing:rolleyes:

Provocateur, Rancanteur, Plaisanter, du Jour
Great idea! Then they could also have giant snakes, tarantuals and scorpions in the land too!

Ummm... no thank you... I think @chiefs11 is on the right track. Bugs Land in DCA has fake and real foliage like bamboo and elephants ear that help with scale a bit. Being small in "Andy's backyard" will be a similar design mechanic.

*1023*

Last edited:

Capsin4

This is not quite correct. Peter Pan was a C-Ticket and Dumbo was a B-Ticket - both always had long lines just like now.

It is a measurement of quality / scope. TSMM and Soarin' are not the same quality or scope as Country Bears, Small World, and Hall of Presidents. That is why there are E-Tickets.
It's nonsense to try to classify new rides in the old system. Disney used their arbitrary mix of ride newness, advancement and popularity to classify rides...it's not an objective classification system and was never meant to be. It was a way to charge more for attractions that people were willing to pay more for. E ticket wasn't even in the original classifications. It was added later and some rides were reclassified. Dumbo was both B and C at different times. Country Bears was an E, but some people will argue that Soarin isn't but something else is. I love that "E ticket" made it's way into pop language. It's awesome. It should be left at implying "the best" IMO and nothing else. Otherwise, we'd need several more categories to capture what the new rides are.

SirLink

You got the first 2 backwards. First build new facilities, then relocate the stuff. Then demolition. Then soil prep. Then ground breaking. After hearing all that's involved, 2-2.5 years makes sense.

When I mean relocate ... it means building the facilities I was typing that mid meeting.

SirLink

I don't think they will need to demo LMA or an of SoA to build this. In fact, I think they will try to keep those areas open until this is done to provide attraction capacity.

Why? If they want to move quick... I mean Disney quick everything will be closed down so they can do soil prep and demo in one fell swoop lay any water or conduit in one move. Plus means you can quickly transfer workers from building Toy Story Land to next section. Again anything meaningful to do with TSL, such as soil prep won't start until May/June next year at the earliest.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom