Toy Story Land expansion announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

mm52200

Anyone know what this is? It was backstage before construction started.

PWpqAAh.jpg
It’s a production center/backstage office type space I think called the Roy Disney production center leftover from the studios days, pretty sure WDI has been based out of it for TSL construction.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
It’s a production center/backstage office type space I think called the Roy Disney production center leftover from the studios days, pretty sure WDI has been based out of it for TSL construction.

Ah, didn't know what it was used for, thanks.

It's just the backside to One Man's Dream. It seems that the back lot of Disney*MGM Studios was made to not only look like but to be an actual working studio back lot and not just "backstage" filled with industrial looking garages. And so, they attached a nice-looking back lot office to OMD.

1525660976500.png

Rutt

I can do you one better. How does a full SUBWAY train sound? Advertising TSL in Toronto. Inside AND outside the subway train. Disney does overkill advertising like no other.
I fully expect when SWL opens to see a full subway station covered.
I got to ride the YVR SkyTrain and this one all in a 24hr period this weekend! Only thing missing was one of the WestJet mickey planes and I woulda been 3 for 3.

Movielover

Ah, didn't know what it was used for, thanks.

It's just the backside to One Man's Dream. It seems that the back lot of Disney*MGM Studios was made to not only look like but to be an actual working studio back lot and not just "backstage" filled with industrial looking garages. And so, they attached a nice-looking back lot office to OMD.

View attachment 282456

That whole building that OMD is in was originally the post production facility for the studio. It had working editing bays and space for post production. It also had 2 additional "sound stages". These sound stages were fake and not true filming locations. The first one was in fact just to house the down ramp for the walking tour exit from the actual sound stages. This sound stage eventually became the separate space for the temporary attractions like Prince Caspian and Jack Sparrow. It no longer exist. The original walking tour then went through the current OMD area showing off the post production facilities before leading into the second of the 2 fake stages. This had the finale of the tour showing off previews for upcoming Disney films. The stage was quickly turned into the theater for the live Muppet's shown then became The Little Mermaid. When the theater was re purposed an additional fake sound stage was constructed right behind it to house the ending of the tour, this theater is now the OMD preview theater.

MGM STUDIOS.jpg

This is a fantastic photo of the Studios before the opening of the park. The actual studios was in operation at least a year ahead of the theme park in order for there to be something for guest to see. The buildings are as follow:

1. Not exactly sure of the original purpose of this building but most likely its studio operations / maybe also commissary?
2. Mechanical power and water.
3. Again not 100% sure but I believe its vehicle maintenance/ operation
4. The original prop storage. the parking area around it would soon become outdoor storage as well as the original location of Walt's Plane.
5. 3 (latter 4) Production Bungalows. These were office spaces for the production companies filming at the studio.
6. Costuming production, you can see the tram tunnel on the right of the building
7. Scenic Shop where all the sets were built. In between the costuming shop and scenic shop was a lighting shop for all the studio lights and a camera workshop to keep up the shooting equipment.
8. Residential Street for filming.
9. Future location of Catastrophe Canyon. Was never an actual film set.
10. The water tank and special effect warehouse that formed the beginning of the walking tour. Latter on this became the start of the tram tour.
11. the 3 working sound stages used for filming.
12. The fake sound stage used to bring the walking tour back down from the elevated walkways.
13. Post production.
14. The original ending of the tour, now is The Little Mermaid show.
15. The former animation building and original start of the tram tour. Now is Star Wars Launch Bay
16. Original tram loading station.
17. Earful Tower. Was never a actual functioning water tower.
18. Great Movie Ride
19. New York Street set, were originally actual filming sets and part of the tram tour.

Hope that cleared up some questions.

Oh and the look of the entire studios was supposed to mimic the astetic of the Walt Disney Studios lot in Hollywood.

Goofyernmost

That whole building that OMD is in was originally the post production facility for the studio. It had working editing bays and space for post production. It also had 2 additional "sound stages". These sound stages were fake and not true filming locations. The first one was in fact just to house the down ramp for the walking tour exit from the actual sound stages. This sound stage eventually became the separate space for the temporary attractions like Prince Caspian and Jack Sparrow. It no longer exist. The original walking tour then went through the current OMD area showing off the post production facilities before leading into the second of the 2 fake stages. This had the finale of the tour showing off previews for upcoming Disney films. The stage was quickly turned into the theater for the live Muppet's shown then became The Little Mermaid. When the theater was re purposed an additional fake sound stage was constructed right behind it to house the ending of the tour, this theater is now the OMD preview theater.

View attachment 282572

This is a fantastic photo of the Studios before the opening of the park. The actual studios was in operation at least a year ahead of the theme park in order for there to be something for guest to see. The buildings are as follow:

1. Not exactly sure of the original purpose of this building but most likely its studio operations / maybe also commissary?
2. Mechanical power and water.
3. Again not 100% sure but I believe its vehicle maintenance/ operation
4. The original prop storage. the parking area around it would soon become outdoor storage as well as the original location of Walt's Plane.
5. 3 (latter 4) Production Bungalows. These were office spaces for the production companies filming at the studio.
6. Costuming production, you can see the tram tunnel on the right of the building
7. Scenic Shop where all the sets were built. In between the costuming shop and scenic shop was a lighting shop for all the studio lights and a camera workshop to keep up the shooting equipment.
8. Residential Street for filming.
9. Future location of Catastrophe Canyon. Was never an actual film set.
10. The water tank and special effect warehouse that formed the beginning of the walking tour. Latter on this became the start of the tram tour.
11. the 3 working sound stages used for filming.
12. The fake sound stage used to bring the walking tour back down from the elevated walkways.
13. Post production.
14. The original ending of the tour, now is The Little Mermaid show.
15. The former animation building and original start of the tram tour. Now is Star Wars Launch Bay
16. Original tram loading station.
17. Earful Tower. Was never a actual functioning water tower.
18. Great Movie Ride
19. New York Street set, were originally actual filming sets and part of the tram tour.

Hope that cleared up some questions.

Oh and the look of the entire studios was supposed to mimic the astetic of the Walt Disney Studios lot in Hollywood.
Very nice... thanks for taking the time to post that.

Next Big Thing

One thing i'm interested in that hasn't really been talked about is how the view will be of the fireworks from TSL. It should be much more direct than it is watching it in front of the Chinese Theater.

Obviously you won't see the projections or hear the music, but the view of just the fireworks should be quite nice from this area.

IMDREW

The current launch site has nothing to do with Star Wars Land construction.
Oh! I thought it was! But what then is the reason for it being so off? Is it fixable? Sorry if this has been mentioned before btw. I always thought it had to do with SW:GE's build

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
One thing i'm interested in that hasn't really been talked about is how the view will be of the fireworks from TSL. It should be much more direct than it is watching it in front of the Chinese Theater.

Obviously you won't see the projections or hear the music, but the view of just the fireworks should be quite nice from this area.
It’s very possible there won’t be any pyro to see from across World Drive.
Will they align the fireworks with the chinese theater again when Star Wars land is done? Or is it simply not possible? @marni1971
There won’t be a high level launch realigned with Hollywood Blvd.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Why wouldn’t Disney market this like crazy? What are the adverts supposed to say? “Come to Toy Story Land! It’s not Star Wars, but it should still be okay...”

Also, wasn’t Chapek in Consumer Products or something like that? I would expect with him overseeing the parks and resorts that he would know how to promote anything, from something as big as a new land to something as small as a new churro flavor.

We have to remember that this is the company that did a media event when the added new benches to Fantasmic.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
The only way guests won't see fireworks from this area is if they stop doing them completely... is that in the cards? They just built that launch pad not too long ago.
There’s a good chance rooftop pyro will be beefed up as opposed to using the remote launch area. An area that raised a few eyebrows when it was proposed let alone used. I can’t go into details (someone else might) but it has several things against it.

djkidkaz

There’s a good chance rooftop pyro will be beefed up as opposed to using the remote launch area. An area that raised a few eyebrows when it was proposed let alone used. I can’t go into details (someone else might) but it has several things against it.

You have the issue of a potential forest fire, especially when Orlando is going through a dry spell with no rain. Not to mention debris falling on cars on World Drive or traffic stopping to watch the launches.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom