Toy Story Land expansion announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

Jambo Joe

Yes. Yes they are.
I agree. Lots of vitriol directed to a new land that hasn’t opened yet. I am really looking forward to seeing it in person. The photos of the park look so much like real toys you do a double take - especially the wooden blocks with their saturated color and hint of wood grain.

PorterRedkey

About 1000.
So apparently Aliens is still having issues...

Oh no!

They have spent way too much on this kiddie/family land. The coaster seems slow as molasses and while I enjoy the theming (mostly the songs) of Mater's in DL, the ride is not that exciting. So A.SwS will be another clever scrambler, without the speed.

Capacity used to be part of the planning process if SDD only has a THRC of 1000 that means the OHRC will be 900 or less, especially at first.

I thought Disney didn't want people waiting in queues so they could be spending money. What happened to that?

MrPromey

OK, but, that isn't saying that it's Cars Land.

No, but Cars Land got a huge new e-ticket ride based on a second generation Test Trak ride system that was indoors/outdoors and included animatronics along with a massive themed landscape on a scale that is more in tune with SWL in terms of its overall feel... along with a couple of lesser flat rides intended to help absorb crowds.

We're getting a new entrance for an existing decade-old screen-based e-ticket and a couple of comparatively cheap semi-themed rides along with a bunch of statues of Toy Story characters.

When she said what she said, I think it would be fair to say that the impression was made that TSL would be impressive on the same scale that Carsland was and clearly, it's not a huge step up from what they've done everywhere else for TSL.

Maybe you consider it comparable.

Personally, I don't.

The reason people are ed is this feels like a major upgrade to an area of Legoland more than it does to a US Disney park but Disney is pushing it (that media blitz?) like it is a big major thing, like they always do.

If they'd been a little more subtle and allowed it to fix some of the capacity problems in this park instead of marketing it like the next big thing, driving even more people to it, you'd of course still see blowback around here but probably not like you are.

The big difference between Disney and Legoland is that if this were opening at Legoland (a park with much cheaper admission, btw) you'd expect the wait times to be about 30 minutes a few months after opening but because it's opening at Disney, where they market everything to insane levels, push fastpass on attractions with already low capacity, and continue to pull crowds into a park that can't handle them, we can expect it'll have crazy wait times* for at least the next half-decade.

Yeah, we're getting what we're getting.

A lot of people aren't happy with what we're getting.

Even more people aren't happy about the way Disney is trying to froth people up about what we're getting.

Some people are apparently happy we're getting anything at all.

I fall somewhere in the middle but personally just wish it would be practical to expect to get on these rides with appropriate wait times while my 5-year-old son is still young enough to appreciate them at the target age. Maybe I'm wrong and these two basic rides won't have crazy waits, though... I hope I'm wrong.

*given what the experiences actually are, that is.

Last edited:

MrPromey

Before you know it, they will introduce "in-queue line merchandise" that can be virtually purchased...

I'm honestly surprised they don't sell stuff in-line in a non-virtual way, today. All those people in standby with nothing to do... heck, you can even buy snacks halfway through the line to get on the Hogwarts express at Universal... I'm also surprised they haven't worked easy access to restrooms into the design of some of those lines (especially FOP) given the wait times the queues were designed to handle.

KBLovedDisney

You can already purchase Disney parks merchandise through the Shop Disney Parks app.
giphy.gif

I seriously didn't know that...

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
If Slinky has two trains on the track at once and each holds 18 people, then...

Ride length - - Hourly capacity
60 seconds -- 2,160​
70 seconds -- 1,860​
80 seconds -- 1,662​
90 seconds -- 1,440​
100 seconds - 1,301​
110 seconds - 1,180​
120 seconds - 1,080​

So, the good news is that if it's just 1,000 pph, then the ride is a full 2 minutes! Which is unlikely because there's a video that shows from the middle block brakes to finish, it's only 37 seconds.

KBLovedDisney

I'm honestly surprised they don't sell stuff in-line in a non-virtual way, today.
This is what I was kinda thinking myself! While you are walking through some parts of the queue, you will actually be walking through isles that have physical merchandise that you can pick and choose, but instead of having to buy in person, you can select some sort of (idk) Apple Pay style format...

I think Amazon is doing this:cautious:...somewhere

Rteetz

If Slinky has two trains on the track at once and each holds 18 people, then...

Ride length - - Hourly capacity
60 seconds -- 2,160​
70 seconds -- 1,860​
80 seconds -- 1,662​
90 seconds -- 1,440​
100 seconds - 1,301​
110 seconds - 1,180​
120 seconds - 1,080​

So, the good news is that if it's just 1,000 pph, then the ride is a full 2 minutes! Which is unlikely because there's a video that shows from the middle block brakes to finish, it's only 37 seconds.
I will say I just got word as well that capacity is roughly 1000 pph so @MansionButler84 is not wrong there.

HauntedMansionFLA

Oh no!

They have spent way too much on this kiddie/family land. The coaster seems slow as molasses and while I enjoy the theming (mostly the songs) of Mater's in DL, the ride is not that exciting. So A.SwS will be another clever scrambler, without the speed.

Capacity used to be part of the planning process if SDD only has a THRC of 1000 that means the OHRC will be 900 or less, especially at first.

I thought Disney didn't want people waiting in queues so they could be spending money. What happened to that?
Ask Tom Staggs.......Oh wait;)

TP2000

So apparently Aliens is still having issues...

Also nobody has actually ridden Slinky as far as I know yet. Just sandbags.

That's why I asked if anyone had seen actual humans riding these rides. Even a month ago they seemed to be way behind the curve on getting these rides up and running for a June 30th opening.

Cars Land in the winter/spring of 2012 is a perfect comparison here, and Toy Story Land seems to be waaaaay behind schedule in comparison. I was following the Cars Land construction very carefully, as were all Disneyland fans. Cars Land opened officially June 15th, 2012. You could see into Cars Land easily from the vista point at Blue Sky Cellar, and from the top of Mickey's Fun Wheel. By February of 2012 Luigi's Flying Tires was done and you could see hordes of tester CM's riding it daily, while Mater's was cycling daily with a mix of water dummies and CM's. By March of 2012 Maters was done and testing with humans, while humans were spotted riding and hooting and hollering in the vehicles at Radiator Springs Racers.

By April, 2012 all three rides were routinely being tested with humans in them, as the ride operator CM's were being trained and constantly cycling all three rides. By May, 2012 the land looked completely finished and they were hosting parties behind the construction walls for Imagineers and doing Cast Member previews. There was a multi-day media event June 10th to the 13th, and a splashy celebrity premiere party on June 14th. Cars Land opened officially to customers the morning of June 15th, 2012, although it had been finished and operating daily a month before.

This is all a land-opening timetable that seems way behind schedule for a June 30th, 2018 grand opening of Toy Story Land. Heck, they don't even have the pavement installed or the walls on the snack bar painted yet. :eek:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom