Toy Story Land expansion announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

WDWtraveler

Photo update as of Tuesday, March 20, 2018. A close-up of the theme elements in Toy Story land as seen over the top of the construction fence.

IMG_0343.JPG

disnyfan89

I think you are putting a little to much pressure on a simple bridge. I am recognizing that happened but not until the music started and not in any degree that has been implied should happen to TSL. They did not mix Adventureland with Fantasyland until that immediate and sudden transition. What the reality was is that you could see just about all the lands from Fantasyland just by turning around 360 degrees. A bit of what today would be considered bad show and "not like it used to be" if you didn't have that tunnel between TSL and SWL. It would be a mortal sin.

I encourage you to take another look next time you are at the parks and really try to notice every little detail. For example, in MK the transition from the hub into Adventureland begins well before the bridge.

ADV1.PNG

ADV2.PNG
ADV3.PNG

In these photos you can see how the Victorian Metal Iron work is transitioning to planters that resemble volcanic rocks and stones. The Victorian lamp posts have changed to wooden posts tied together with lanterns. Even the trees are changing from those you'd find in a city park to more lush tropical vegetation. Even the trash can change colors approaching the land from brown to green. Before crossing the bridge the fencing changes to wooden posts. Music fades out from the traditional ragtime music and as you enter the bridge you can hear tribal drums begin to play. The bridge acts as the pavement transition moving you from the sandy sidewalks of the hub to the grey pavement in adventureland.

Goofyernmost

I encourage you to take another look next time you are at the parks and really try to notice every little detail. For example, in MK the transition from the hub into Adventureland begins well before the bridge.

View attachment 271243
View attachment 271241View attachment 271249

In these photos you can see how the Victorian Metal Iron work is transitioning to planters that resemble volcanic rocks and stones. The Victorian lamp posts have changed to wooden posts tied together with lanterns. Even the trees are changing from those you'd find in a city park to more lush tropical vegetation. Even the trash can change colors approaching the land from brown to green. Before crossing the bridge the fencing changes to wooden posts. Music fades out from the traditional ragtime music and as you enter the bridge you can hear tribal drums begin to play. The bridge acts as the pavement transition moving you from the sandy sidewalks of the hub to the grey pavement in adventureland.
OK, somehow that made you lean toward AdventureLand... Tropical Plants and Palm trees are pretty much anywhere you go in Florida. I think that even subliminally it would only tell me I was in Florida. I will assume that to get you in the mood those things were put there, it still isn't what my response was about. I responded to someone that said they should make the toys progressively larger the further in you walk so you can take on the tiny person persona in a gradual way. Maybe, but, I think that any person would not be fooled or influenced by that trick. It might work if no one looked up ahead, but, not really be all that effective otherwise. This is all my opinion of things. Obviously my mind works on a different wave length then yours. Isn't it wonderful how we all can see the world in the way we want to see it?

Last edited:

disnyfan89

OK, somehow that made you lean toward AdventureLand... Tropical Plants and Palm trees are pretty much anywhere you go in Florida. I think that even subliminally it would only tell me I was in Florida. I will assume that to get you in the mood those things were put there, it still isn't what my response was about. I responded to someone that said they should make the toys progressively larger the further in you walk so you can take on the tiny person persona in a gradual way. Maybe, but, I think that any person would not be fooled or influenced by that trick. It might work if no one looked up ahead, but, not really be all that effective otherwise. This is all my opinion of things. Obviously my mind works on a different wave length they yours. Isn't it wonderful how we all can see the world in the way we want to see it?

Oh I agree with you about the transition into TSL probably will be loose and fast and be potentially rather sudden. I was just responding to this specifically:
I think you are putting a little to much pressure on a simple bridge.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member

View attachment 271243

Indeed. Some transitions are amazing. If you don’t consciously notice them they’ve worked.

Some areas are known to even have transition BGM.

Goofyernmost

Oh I agree with you about the transition into TSL probably will be loose and fast and be potentially rather sudden. I was just responding to this specifically:
That's fine, but, I have to explain that you are the one that sees that transition. I never have and even with you posting those pictures I can see why you might get that feeling from what is there, but, I don't see it at all. That is what I am trying to say. I never even give it any conscious thought at all. I walk from one area to the other and enjoy what is there for what it is along with the general atmosphere of whatever particular land I am in. It is all one be picture, but, I don't feel that I need a transition to appreciate it. Once I'm in the land I instantly transition because it all fits. I don't have to get in the mood for it. It may be there, as you feel it is. Good, for you, but, I do not see that. I especially do not see it in any of the lands. As soon as I see something that fits the theme.. like the now defunct chuck wagon as you turn the corner from Adventureland into Frontierland, at that moment I am in Frontierland. That's all I'm saying.

Castle Cake Apologist

OK, somehow that made you lean toward AdventureLand... Tropical Plants and Palm trees are pretty much anywhere you go in Florida. I think that even subliminally it would only tell me I was in Florida. I will assume that to get you in the mood those things were put there, it still isn't what my response was about.

Yet, palm trees are not found on Main Street. Or in Frontierland. Or in Fantasyland once 20K died. The design choices in the post you replied to are very intentional transitional elements. I personally think it does a great disservice to the work of WED by just dismissing them as "palm trees because you're in Florida." Even Crystal Palace is skillfully designed to bridge the transition from Main Street to Adventureland. Specific transitional BGM will only play in specific areas, before subtly fading into the main BGM of the area. It's subtle because it's supposed to be, but make no mistake - it's all very intentional.

As another example, the side of Tiki Room that faces Frontierland is different from the side in Adventureland. Nearly every sightline and transitional area in the original MK was accounted for and the designs were very intentional.

They still do a great job at this on larger projects like Pandora, but value lands like TSL don't seem to deserve the same treatment in their eyes. I'm not saying that TSL should have the scope of Pandora, but it should have at least been held to the same design standard. These little details are what Disney is known for.

Castle Cake Apologist

That's fine, but, I have to explain that you are the one that sees that transition. I never have and even with you posting those pictures I can see why you might get that feeling from what is there, but, I don't see it at all. That is what I am trying to say. I never even give it any conscious thought at all. I walk from one area to the other and enjoy what is there for what it is along with the general atmosphere of whatever particular land I am in. It is all one be picture, but, I don't feel that I need a transition to appreciate it. Once I'm in the land I instantly transition because it all fits. I don't have to get in the mood for it. It may be there, as you feel it is. Good, for you, but, I do not see that. I especially do not see it in any of the lands. As soon as I see something that fits the theme.. like the now defunct chuck wagon as you turn the corner from Adventureland into Frontierland, at that moment I am in Frontierland. That's all I'm saying.

Just because you don't see something, that doesn't mean it doesn't exist. In fact, it sounds like the things he pointed out work perfectly for you, because you're not supposed to notice them. However, if they weren't there, your mind would realize it- even if just subconsicously.

brb1006

Indeed. Some transitions are amazing. If you don’t consciously notice them they’ve worked.

Some areas are known to even have transition BGM.
What are the best areas at Walt Disney World that has very good use of transition BGM music. I can think of some areas in Animal Kingdom. Such as Discovery Land.

Incomudro

View attachment 271243

You do realize that nearly all of that flora was much smaller when the park opened, right?
You were able to see right in.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
There's a difference between "transition" and "exposition".

Transition tries to make moving from one place to another not so sudden. Going from MK's Hub to Adventureland is a good transition. The transition from the Hub to Tomorrowland is bad. You can see right into the land with transitioning rocks that belong to neither area, regardless of how they're painted (the old waterfalls did a somewhat better job at it). The transition from Tomorrowland to Fantasyland by way of the Speedway and Tea Cups is horrible transition.

Then there's exposition that tries to explain how you got to that land. If you take the WDRR from Main Street to Frontier Land, that is excellent exposition. You took a steam engine train to the frontier. That's how you got to the frontier. The exposition from the Hub to any other land is lacking... you took a bridge. That doesn't explain anything.

Crossing the bridge into Pandora doesn't explain anything because it doesn't try to convey you took a four light-year trip to another star system. But it is excellent transition with the gradual change of plants and sounds. Universal's Diagon Alley does both excellent transition and exposition, but that was relatively easy to do because in the movie you move between 'worlds' by rounding corners Muggles don't see.

Very few lands have actual exposition of how you got to that land. Expecting Toy Story Land to explain how you got to be the size of Green Army Men is an outlandish expectation based on what has come before.

tirian

There's a difference between "transition" and "exposition".

Transition tries to make moving from one place to another not so sudden. Going from MK's Hub to Adventureland is a good transition. The transition from the Hub to Tomorrowland is bad. You can see right into the land with transitioning rocks that belong to neither area, regardless of how they're painted (the old waterfalls did a somewhat better job at it). The transition from Tomorrowland to Fantasyland by way of the Speedway and Tea Cups is horrible transition.

Then there's exposition that tries to explain how you got to that land. If you take the WDRR from Main Street to Frontier Land, that is excellent exposition. You took a steam engine train to the frontier. That's how you got to the frontier. The exposition from the Hub to any other land is lacking... you took a bridge. That doesn't explain anything.

Crossing the bridge into Pandora doesn't explain anything because it doesn't try to convey you took a four light-year trip to another star system. But it is excellent transition with the gradual change of plants and sounds. Universal's Diagon Alley does both excellent transition and exposition, but that was relatively easy to do because in the movie you move between 'worlds' by rounding corners Muggles don't see.

Very few lands have actual exposition of how you got to that land. Expecting Toy Story Land to explain how you got to be the size of Green Army Men is an outlandish expectation based on what has come before.
To be fair, WDI wasn’t extremely hellbent on exposition until Eisner’s storytelling phase in the 80s. Sometimes WDI tried really hard, and sometimes they didn’t. Hence the lousy transition between FL and TL, and the low-level landscaping @Incomudro mentioned. However, old-school WDI did a masterful job with the transitions from the Hub to AL, and from Caribbean Plaza to FrL.

Edit: if we use movie terminology, transitions at DL parks are sometimes cross fades and sometimes cuts.

Goofyernmost

Just because you don't see something, that doesn't mean it doesn't exist. In fact, it sounds like the things he pointed out work perfectly for you, because you're not supposed to notice them. However, if they weren't there, your mind would realize it- even if just subconsicously.
That sounds a lot like a WH press conference. Alternative fact? But, let's move on.

Castle Cake Apologist

That sounds a lot like a WH press conference. Alternative fact? But, let's move on.

Yep, you're right. Everything just showed up on its own. Nothing was intentional. The palm trees just grew there on their own, (on top of a building, mind you) and nobody bothered to cut them down. They just ran out of railing materials halfway through and had to use something else. All the subtle landscaping transitions just happened because they ran out of the plants they had been using and had to use different ones.

You are legitimately one of the most hard headed people I've ever spoken to. You're constantly telling others why they're wrong, despite all evidence to the contrary. You're endlessly combative with people who verifiably know more about the operation and design of the parks than you do, and then get even more combative when they point out why you were (once again) wrong. You wouldn't have countless people in every thread telling you the same thing if they were just lying. What would be the end game of multiple people lying to you about theme park transitional elements? You also tend to talk down to people who care about details in the most detailed theme parks in the world, and then hide behind the opinion shield when you get called out.

I'm honestly to the point where I can't imagine why anybody even bothers to engage with you anymore. I don't know if you're a master troll, purposefully obtuse, or if you just get your jollies off on arguing, but it gets pretty old. Somebody will say something, you'll inaccurately tell them why they're wrong with an attitude, multiple people will point out why you were actually the one who was wrong, and then you regress into victim mode. Wash. Rinse. Repeat. You definitely have an earned reputation around here, and it's not necessarily a good one. I honestly don't expect you to change, but it would be nice if you stepped back and took a look at your posting style.

I do think your signature is funny, though. So at least there's that.

Last edited:

tirian

You also tend to talk down to people who care about details in the most detailed theme parks in the world, and then hide behind the opinion shield when you get called out.

This. I don’t understand why some people claim to love the Disney parks, then disregard knowledgeable information about the details that make the parks special. If you don’t care about the Disney Difference, go to Six Flags and play Disney soundtracks in headphones.

lazyboy97o

Yep, you're right. Everything just showed up on its own. Nothing was intentional. The palm trees just grew there on their own, (on top of a building, mind you) and nobody bothered to cut them down. They just ran out of railing materials halfway through and had to use something else. All the subtle landscaping transitions just happened because they ran out of the plants they had been using and had to use different ones.

You are legitimately one of the most hard headed people I've ever spoken to. You're constantly telling others why they're wrong, despite all evidence to the contrary. You're endlessly combative with people who verifiably know more about the operation and design of the parks than you do, and then get even more combative when they point out why you were (once again) wrong. You wouldn't have countless people in every thread telling you the same thing if they were just lying. What would be the end game of multiple people lying to you about theme park transitional elements? You also tend to talk down to people who care about details in the most detailed theme parks in the world, and then hide behind the opinion shield when you get called out.

I'm honestly to the point where I can't imagine why anybody even bothers to engage with you anymore. I don't know if you're a master troll, purposefully obtuse, or if you just get your jollies off on arguing, but it gets pretty old. Somebody will say something, you'll inaccurately tell them why they're wrong with an attitude, multiple people will point out why you were actually the one who was wrong, and then you regress into victim mode. Wash. Rinse. Repeat. You definitely have an earned reputation around here, and it's not necessarily a good one. I honestly don't expect you to change, but it would be nice if you stepped back and took a look at your posting style.

I do think your signature is funny, though. So at least there's that.
You’re talking to someone who thinks lighting design is simply not a thing, that an entire field of design just doesn’t actually exist.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom