Toy Story Land expansion announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

ToTBellHop

True. Radiator Springs is a very good counterpoint to TSL–another IP-themed area with child-friendly vibe and attractions, but with top-tier theming and Radiator Springs Racers. But I guess you could count TMM as TSL's headlining attraction, and that (while it isn't on RSR's level) is at least a more involved indoor attraction.
Call me crazy, but I feel a land should have an E-ticket.

HMF

I'm sure it was discussed 100+ page ago... but a proper Pizza Planet really would have been the only thing that could've gotten me excited for this land. And to see the counter service under construction makes me sad.
Pizza Planet would not make sense there if we are to really believe (as ridiculous on it's face as the concept is) we are in Andy's backyard.

Bartattack

A4BCAACC-C5BA-402F-8DA7-301B5AFE52CB.JPG
I'm currently at HKDL and checking out their Toy Story land. I liked the bamboo grasses that they used for the borders. It gives a much better look of giant grass. (Unlike the more regular bamboo they used in DLP). Maybe because of the climate?
I hope they use this too in WDW.

Btw: toy story land at HKDL always had the longest wait times during the whole day.

Casper Gutman

View attachment 221118 I'm currently at HKDL and checking out their Toy Story land. I liked the bamboo grasses that they used for the borders. It gives a much better look of giant grass. (Unlike the more regular bamboo they used in DLP). Maybe because of the climate?

Btw: toy story land at HKDL always had the longest wait times during the whole day.

This shot is pretty, but it shows the proplem with the whole concept - just how small are those popsicle sticks?

No Name

I can't imagine it's Pizza Planet. That would make no sense in a number of ways.

On that note, I've been thinking of something that makes little sense, but I'd get a good kick out of. What if Disney capitalized on current fads by adding toys to the land for a limited time? For example, how kewl would DHS be if it was home to the world's largest fidget spinner? I can imagine the headlines, the hubbub, the merchansing opportunity (Toy-Story-branded fidget spinners)! The dollars would be rolling in... Chapek where are you?? :greedy:

I'm just kidding. TSL doesn't excite me much, what can I do?

Goofyernmost

Does anyone besides me get the feeling that folks are way, way, way over thinking this entire land. Let's accept that pixie dust can only go so far in altering reality. Most of that has to come from between the ears of the beholder. You can let yourself enjoy it or you can set your mind to hate it from the get go and save time. You can always enter SWL from the Muppets side.

wdrive

View attachment 221118 I'm currently at HKDL and checking out their Toy Story land. I liked the bamboo grasses that they used for the borders. It gives a much better look of giant grass. (Unlike the more regular bamboo they used in DLP). Maybe because of the climate?

While this does look better than Paris' bamboo grass, it highlights the fallbacks of the Toy Story Playland theme. If that's the size of the grass what size are the lollypop sticks that make up the bench? The piece of paper with 'This Way' written on must be tiny, how has Andy wrote something so small?

Goofyernmost

While this does look better than Paris' bamboo grass, it highlights the fallbacks of the Toy Story Playland theme. If that's the size of the grass what size are the lollypop sticks that make up the bench? The piece of paper with 'This Way' written on must be tiny, how has Andy wrote something so small?
Because Disney wanted it that way. And really, I don't want to intentionally upset anyone, but, it totally boggles the mind how anyone would even think of these questions much less think that everything can be exactly to scale unless we are physically able to shrink ourselves down to the appropriate size. Even in order to ride the coaster we have to be smaller then the toys are. Or in the words of the Dreamfinder... Imagination, Imagination, a dream can be a dream come true, one little spark lights up for you.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Because Disney wanted it that way. And really, I don't want to intentionally upset anyone, but, it totally boggles the mind how anyone would even think of these questions much less think that everything can be exactly to scale unless we are physically able to shrink ourselves down to the appropriate size. Even in order to ride the coaster we have to be smaller then the toys are. Or in the words of the Dreamfinder... Imagination, Imagination, a dream can be a dream come true, one little spark lights up for you.

Yes, I am shocked that people on a Disney World Fan site are discussing the details found in a Disney Park.

Amidala

The fact that TSL is beginning to feel like a quickie land to give guests something to do outside of SWL has a lot to do w/ why I've been nitpicking so much, although I obviously can't speak for everyone else here. "But this is for kids!" is the constant excuse, but then...as people have mentioned, so is Radiator Springs, so is New Fantasyland (a controversial pick, but still more beautifully themed than TSL), and all of these include detailed, immersive theming and at least one "original" top-tier Disney attraction. Obviously there are exceptions (with attractions like Disney Jr. and play areas) but part of the charm of Disney is that even rides aimed at children have a sense of timelessness to them, and can appeal to anyone.

I agree that Toy Story is a very hard movie to work in terms of, y'know, bringing it to life...and I sympathize w/ the Imagineers working on this project because "Andy's Backyard" just seems so...vague. It doesn't help that this feels like an import of existing TSLs (yes, it seems like the attractions are improved, but the theming remains pretty much the same from one TSL to the next).

It almost makes me wish TDO had kept the area Pixar-themed, left TMM as is, and then decided on a completely different Pixar movie for this land...maybe a mini version of the long-rumored Monstropolis or even The Incredibles.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure I'll visit the area and enjoy it for what it is. The Slinky Dog coaster looks fun. But it just feels kind of underwhelming overall.

Hatbox Ghostbuster

The fact that TSL is beginning to feel like a quickie land to give guests something to do outside of SWL has a lot to do w/ why I've been nitpicking so much, although I obviously can't speak for everyone else here. "But this is for kids!" is the constant excuse, but then...as people have mentioned, so is Radiator Springs, so is New Fantasyland (a controversial pick, but still more beautifully themed than TSL), and all of these include detailed, immersive theming and at least one "original" top-tier Disney attraction. Obviously there are exceptions (with attractions like Disney Jr. and play areas) but part of the charm of Disney is that even rides aimed at children have a sense of timelessness to them, and can appeal to anyone.

I agree that Toy Story is a very hard movie to work in terms of, y'know, bringing it to life...and I sympathize w/ the Imagineers working on this project because "Andy's Backyard" just seems so...vague. It doesn't help that this feels like an import of existing TSLs (yes, it seems like the attractions are improved, but the theming remains pretty much the same from one TSL to the next).

It almost makes me wish TDO had kept the area Pixar-themed, left TMM as is, and then decided on a completely different Pixar movie for this land...maybe a mini version of the long-rumored Monstropolis or even The Incredibles.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure I'll visit the area and enjoy it for what it is. The Slinky Dog coaster looks fun. But it just feels kind of underwhelming overall.
This land was always going to seem underwhelming when you pair it right next to SWL. And maybe that's the point. This is where the kids who aren't quite old/big enough for the big E-tickets at SWL can enjoy themselves with their parents. To a certain degree, this project feels a little Bugs Land-esque.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
This land was always going to seem underwhelming when you pair it right next to SWL. And maybe that's the point. This is where the kids who aren't quite old/big enough for the big E-tickets at SWL can enjoy themselves with their parents. To a certain degree, this project feels a little Bugs Land-esque.

The rides are a step or two or three above bug's land...this is for sure. Maybe theme-wise on same level.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom