Toy Story Land expansion announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

Kman101

I agree with you and it would be easy to move over. They have room for something so small.

But we will get a stroller parking lot instead.

They shouldn't have cut the Woody's Roundup area and gave us another flat ride. Looked liked the original concept art had an area for one that was blurred out or removed. I imagine they had the space for one.

Mouse3268

They shouldn't have cut the Woody's Roundup area and gave us another flat ride. Looked liked the original concept art had an area for one that was blurred out or removed. I imagine they had the space for one.

I am not as negative about this land as others. The rollercoaster looks great and the alien ride looks like a blast. Yet I agree that it feels like it is missing one more fun flat ride. Plus the theming could be a bit better (that being said, based on the concept art it already looks two times better other Toy Story Lands).

Kman101

I am not as negative about this land as others. The rollercoaster looks great and the alien ride looks like a blast. Yet I agree that it feels like it is missing one more fun flat ride. Plus the theming could be a bit better (that being said, based on the concept art it already looks two times better other Toy Story Lands).

I'm right there with you on this.

andysol

They had plenty of room for both RC Racers and the Toy Soldier Parachute Drop. They certainly would've been welcome in my eyes and to scale. Toy Soldier fits just fine, thematically. RC racer is a bit more offensive, but could have easily gotten shoved in the back corner.

n009553_2017aug01_toy-soldiers-parachute-drop_16-9.jpg

2015-11-15_0234.jpg

And we're not talking a large cost whatsoever- the whole of Toy Story Playland in Paris was $78 Million (confirmed)- the large majority of which was infrastructure costs. So to simply add 2 flats that are proven in terms of reliability (albeit poor capacity) wouldn't have been a drop in the bucket. A million or 2 at most. It was a conscious decision for them not to- I just disagree with it.

Last edited:

PizzaPlanet

They had plenty of room for both RC Racers and the Army Man Parachute Drop. Both have poor capacity- but they certainly would've been welcome in my eyes and to scale. And we're not talking a large cost whatsoever- the whole of Toy Story Playland in Paris was $78 Million (confirmed)- the large majority of which was infrastructure costs. So to simply add 2 flats that are proven in terms of reliability (albeit poor capacity) wouldn't have been a drop in the bucket. A million or 2 at most. It was a conscious decision for them not to- I just disagree with it.
I believe both would have caused sightline issues for the rest of the park, including SWL.

Goofyernmost

So we're all just kinda okay with Disney building a bare steel coaster now?
If you really think that we have any choice, please elaborate! Also I would be inclined to wait until they are done before I got all bent out of shape about whether or not it is a bare steel coaster. Even if it is how it blends in with the rest of the land is as important as a bunch of plastic toy pieces.

Castle Cake Apologist

If you really think that we have any choice, please elaborate! Also I would be inclined to wait until they are done before I got all bent out of shape about whether or not it is a bare steel coaster. Even if it is how it blends in with the rest of the land is as important as a bunch of plastic toy pieces.

We have concept art, so it's not really a secret. The trenches meant to hide the track have been removed in the updated concept art, along with the majority of the themeing. Just because we don't have a choice, doesn't mean we have to be okay with it.

I'm sure they'll come up with some ridiculous conceit involving us shrinking to the size of a toy and going into Andy's backyard to play on his convenient new roller coaster toy set that uses his Slinky Dog as a car for some reason. I love when Andy plays with his roller coaster toy set and his Buzz Lightyear play set and western village toy set and his carnival midway toy set at the same time.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
I'm fairly certain that this will be the first large exposed steel coaster. The kiddie coasters barely count as they aren't that visually intrusive, though I don't love them either.

I would consider California screamin to be a large exposed steel coaster. Now, we can of course argue that this ride can get away with it based on how it fits within the theme of paradise pier, and compare that to how the slinky coaster will fit/blend into the theme of TSL.

And I am not excusing the slinky coaster. I don't like the lack of details...

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Do we know if the slinky coaster is set to have any special and/or sound effects? I have not heard anything but just wondering.

Fantasmicguy

So we're all just kinda okay with Disney building a bare steel coaster now?
Well it does appear to have some themed elements and Disney has already built Primeval Whirl, Branstormer, Goofy Sky School, and of course California Screamin' so while it's not the best option I'm pretty okay with it.

Castle Cake Apologist

I would consider California screamin to be a large exposed steel coaster. Now, we can of course argue that this ride can get away with it based on how it fits within the theme of paradise pier, and compare that to how the slinky coaster will fit/blend into the theme of TSL.

And I am not excusing the slinky coaster. I don't like the lack of details...

I've heard that justification before, but I don't necessarily agree with it. California Screamin' is a steel coaster pretty heavily and convincingly themed as a classic wooden coaster, which fits well into its setting on a classic seaside amusement pier. Now, we could definitely argue the merits of theming a roller coaster as a different kind of roller coaster or even of an area in a theme park that is themed to be an amusement park, but the point stands that it fits well into the fabric of the setting that it's in. It meaningfully contributes to the story that the area is telling. It feels natural.

I'm not directing this next part specifically to you, as I realize that you're not in favor of this coaster either. I just see a lot of forgiveness going on for something that honestly feels like a terrible backwards step for the parks.

Slinky Dog Dash is a different animal from Screamin' altogether. The Toy Story theme is honestly so secondary and serves no real purpose. Andy never owned a coaster playset (to my knowledge), and he certainly never had one that used his Slinky Dog as a car. It feels very forced and unnatural. Especially now that virtually all of the themeing that it at least did have seems to have been removed from the budget, not to mention the one thing that was meant to hide the majority of the track.

The whole Toy Story Land thing doesn't sit well with me in the first place. The story of the entire area feels so contrived and overdone that it's almost sad to me at this point. We're in Andy's backyard and he's conveniently playing with toys that look like theme park rides. It's always the same thing with these Toy Story lands and it always comes out terribly and cheap looking.

Well it does appear to have some themed elements and Disney has already built Primeval Whirl, Branstormer, Goofy Sky School, and of course California Screamin' so while it's not the best option I'm pretty okay with it.

Those are all relatively small minor coasters (minus California Screamin'), and are all much better disguised than this. See above in regards to Screamin'. I think that's a pretty poor example of an "exposed steel coaster."

ANYWAYS, I know... tl;dr. I just have a lot of passion for the integrity of these parks. Occupational hazard.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom