Toy Story Land expansion announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

Castle Cake Apologist

Yep.

So we can justify other things but not this because we've predetermined it's cheap and lazy and or they don't like the IP

I love the IP. I don't see anybody saying they don't like Toy Story. It's a nearly flawless series of movies. I think what is being expressed is that it doesn't translate well to a physical environment in any real compelling way.

As far as suspension of disbelief goes, there is certainly a limit. A lightly themed bright orange roller coaster of this size is going to pull me right out of any state of disbelief. I was much more on board with this when it had more effort toward masking the tracks.

It's also not as though Disney hasn't already built this land before. Yes, the attractions are different and will be of higher quality, but the general theme of the area is the same and this land will be designed in much of the same aesthetic.

Trust me, I still think Disney does much more right than they do wrong. Honestly the majority of their recent offerings have been of a decently high quality. That's, again, why this land is so troubling to me. It seems like a short sighted decision and honestly the entire Studios refresh just feels very disjointed so far.

Kman101

I love the IP. I don't see anybody saying they don't like Toy Story. It's a nearly flawless series of movies. I think what is being expressed is that it doesn't translate well to a physical environment in any real compelling way.

As far as suspension of disbelief goes, there is certainly a limit. A lightly themed bright orange roller coaster of this size is going to pull me right out of any state of disbelief. I was much more on board with this when it had more effort toward masking the tracks.

It's also not as though Disney hasn't already built this land before. Yes, the attractions are different and will be of higher quality, but the general theme of the area is the same and this land will be designed in much of the same aesthetic.

Trust me, I still think Disney does much more right than they do wrong. Honestly the majority of their recent offerings have been of a decently high quality. That's, again, why this land is so troubling to me. It seems like a short sighted decision and honestly the entire Studios refresh just feels very disjointed so far.

I can agree with most of this. Well said. The Studios refresh has been disjointed and a total missed opportunity IMHO. I expected so much more.

I mean, I understand the suspension of belief having a limit, but we put up with a lot of other things. I don't think the coaster will take me out of anything but I do admit while I've defended some things in regards to the land, I am on the nervous side as well.

Dan Deesnee

Disney concept art is generally pretty accurate to the finished product, especially when it gets to the point that it's posted on the construction wall.

Agree but it already changed once after being revealed. Also the concept art is a very far away aerial view. Just trying to point out that we really don't how what the final product will be. I'm keeping a Korean mind about it.

Edit, lol, open mind...

Last edited:

Castle Cake Apologist

It's called suspension of belief. Though I'm sure lazyboy has a post ready to go telling me otherwise.

Suspension of disbelief is a reaction. Ignoring something is not suspension of disbelief.

There is nothing to disbelieve in Toy Story Land. It is a hodgepodge of stuff that is supposed to be a hodgepodge of stuff.

You guys are adorable.

Castle Cake Apologist

That may be the most statement ever.

IMO - I'm tired of hiding coasters in mountains and boxes. A lightly themed coaster outdoors isn't a crime against the Kingdom.

I don't even know what to say to that. Maybe Six Flags is more your style?

The principles of themed design that have been followed for decades by Imagineering are literally what makes a Disney park a Disney park. I feel like I've woken up in the Twilight Zone. People used to laud Disney for the masterful way they hid their coasters and the standards they set, now this?

Last edited by a moderator:

Rodan75

@DisneyExpert, But you have a point in that some overzealous Disney fans who maligned Hulk and DD for being minimally themed outdoor coasters are not freaking out about this. But they shouldn't have then and they shouldn't now.

If Disney started a new pattern of just building six flags coasters and flat rides at all of their parks with a couple of standees as theming, then I would be upset. But for one coaster with minimal theming that adds some kinetic energy that the parks needs...nah.

Castle Cake Apologist

@DisneyExpert, But you have a point in that some overzealous Disney fans who maligned Hulk and DD for being minimally themed outdoor coasters are not freaking out about this. But they shouldn't have then and they shouldn't now.

If Disney started a new pattern of just building six flags coasters and flat rides at all of their parks with a couple of standees as theming, then I would be upset. But for one coaster with minimal theming that adds some kinetic energy that the parks needs...nah.

I just feel it runs the risk of setting a very bad precedent. I think it's kinda ugly too.

Rodan75

I just feel it runs the risk of setting a very bad precedent. I think it's kinda ugly too.

I'll judge ugly when it is done. I think the only crime here is how much it cost and that it needs some additional attractions.

They do need to think of new ways to theme and incorporate outdoor coasters.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom