Toy Story Land expansion announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

clemmo

There are ideas and there are folks in charge who understand more will be needed. I'm unsure whether that will be enough to get a budget. They really shouldn't wait until SWL is open before planning another expansion.

I've heard more concrete details for updates to existing spaces.
Expansion will be needed but imo if that means working on animation courtyard and retheming ST than that would be very nice and much needed as well.

Jones14

For TSMM? Same as today with an even longer queue. Think of the current outside switchbacks being permenant. And on the opposite side of the building.
So will the outside queue be themed as part of the backyard? Grass and large toys strewn about, etc. I'd hate to see standard switchbacks up against a tan building in the new area.

Omegadiz

So will the outside queue be themed as part of the backyard? Grass and large toys strewn about, etc. I'd hate to see standard switchbacks up against a tan building in the new area.
I think what he is saying the at the capacity of the current outside switchbacks - lets just say they hold 1000 people - is going to be transferred into the new queue building being built that will then eventually lead back to the existing queue. so instead of having those 1000 people waiting outside in switchbacks, they'll be indoors and hopefully, since the ride itself is not new, there shouldnt really be a need for an outdoor queue (in the long run) except for extreme cases when the park is at or over capacity (When Star Wars opens)

RSoxNo1

I had a thought this morning of a missed opportunity for this land. An RC Racers Speedway/Autopia type ride integrated in and around the Slinky Dog Dash layout. Adding another C ticket to the area would help, and if Tomorrowland Speedway is truly on the chopping block, this would present an alternative at DHS.

MrHappy

Indeed. I've not seen buildings like this for a long time. The Avland show building was a refreshing return to design form.
Hey @marni1971, just curious what you would consider "form" and "not form" - what was the down turn in design and construction that these new structures would be returning from? I'm sure as soon as you give me some examples I'd remember, but the new stuff always seems to be topping itself in terms of design and execution.

Goofyernmost

For TSMM? Same as today with an even longer queue. Think of the current outside switchbacks being permenant. And on the opposite side of the building.
Wouldn't that be completely in the afternoon sun? Are they going to have a special unit available to just go along and scrape up the melted remains of guests?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Wouldn't that be completely in the afternoon sun? Are they going to have a special unit available to just go along and scrape up the melted remains of guests?
Yep!

There should be three new interconnected shaded queue structures outside of what exists today, though there will be slightly less queue inside the existing building.

The uncovered area would be overflow and partly shaded. Think the dwarf coaster queue before you get to the games.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Hey @marni1971, just curious what you would consider "form" and "not form" - what was the down turn in design and construction that these new structures would be returning from? I'm sure as soon as you give me some examples I'd remember, but the new stuff always seems to be topping itself in terms of design and execution.
For me the downturn began with Mission Space. A pretty facade in front of a bare warehouse that could be a Home Depot as I believe you call it. Prior to this every Futureworld Pavilion was an architectural art form designed to be seen from any angle.

DHS of course has lots of box buildings, but for me the complex interior layouts adds to the sheer brilliance. IMHO.

Notable exception would be Everest. From the outside anyway.

MrHappy

For me the downturn began with Mission Space. A pretty facade in front of a bare warehouse that could be a Home Depot as I believe you call it. Prior to this every Futureworld Pavilion was an architectural art form designed to be seen from any angle.

DHS of course has lots of box buildings, but for me the complex interior layouts adds to the sheer brilliance. IMHO.

Notable exception would be Everest. From the outside anyway.
Thanks Martin....I see now what you mean now.
("big box" is a good reference for ridiculous sized US chain stores :))

PizzaPlanet

Yep!

There should be three new interconnected shaded queue structures outside of what exists today, though there will be slightly less queue inside the existing building.

The uncovered area would be overflow and partly shaded. Think the dwarf coaster queue before you get to the games.
The real question is the new placement of Mr. Potato Head. Inside or outside?

WDWtraveler

Photo update as of Friday, June 2. The "soundstage" between One Man's Dream and Toy Story Midway Mania has a full scrim now, top to bottom, and extending around the back side.

IMG_9634.JPG

The artwork for the new Toy Story Land was moved from the back fence to the side of this building.

IMG_9635.JPG

This area is across from the restrooms in the Midway Mania building (outside of the frame on the left). This soundstage has been used for various temporary "attractions" such as Capt. Jack Sparrow experience, and an indoor rest area from the summer heat.

IMG_9636.JPG

Finally, the back construction wall at the end of Pixar Place has been moved up to the edge of the building where Toy Story Midway Mania exits. There is very little area here which used to be a large "turn around."

IMG_9637.JPG

doctornick

I had a thought this morning of a missed opportunity for this land. An RC Racers Speedway/Autopia type ride integrated in and around the Slinky Dog Dash layout. Adding another C ticket to the area would help, and if Tomorrowland Speedway is truly on the chopping block, this would present an alternative at DHS.

That's a fantastic idea -- would have been a much better use of the space. Too bad Disney doesn't agree.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom