Toy Story Land expansion announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

TalkingHead

LOL @ Kathy Mangum saying it would be on the level of Cars Land. That's not physically possible. The "world" of Toy Story - aka Andy's backyard - isn't an environment anyone wants to explore. Big grass and oversized toy props doesn't make for a compelling environment. Radiator Springs is a compelling environment with the Cadillac Range looming over it. This is in NO way comparable. I'm sure they won't skimp on theming - the problem is that there's nothing to theme. It's a weak, weak theme. The rides will be fine - Buzz's Mater ride and the coaster look perfectly nice. But the Toy Story theme isn't a transporting one and it's not an environment anyone is pining to explore, unlike Cars/Star Wars/Harry Potter.

I wish they'd just be honest rather than try to BS stuff to the fans. The audience's tepid response to the announcement at D23 was telling - don't try to tell us it's some Cars Land-level thing when it's clearly not. It's a family land with a couple family rides. Great, that's fine - just don't sell it as something it ain't. We can tell the difference.

I don't know about anyone else, but I think Toy Story is neck-and-neck with Nemo for most tired Pixar franchise. It's getting to the Winnie the Pooh level in the 1990s. They're great characters, but like you said, the "world" of Toy Story is a total snooze.

And while we're at it, the "Andy is playing with his toys" backstory is no less lame with Toy Story Land than it was when they introduced it with Midway Mania.

Incomudro

I don't know about anyone else, but I think Toy Story is neck-and-neck with Nemo for most tired Pixar franchise. It's getting to the Winnie the Pooh level in the 1990s. They're great characters, but like you said, the "world" of Toy Story is a total snooze.

And while we're at it, the "Andy is playing with his toys" backstory is no less lame with Toy Story Land than it was when they introduced it with Midway Mania.

Doubt if it's tired as far as kids are concerned.
Nor for parents toting kids to WDW, especially first timers.
I'm sure Disney weighs the legs of the IP before they commit to such an undertaking.
(They are coming out with a Toy Story 4 after all.)
Still, yes - it's no camparison to Car Land.

CinematicFusion

LOL @ Kathy Mangum saying it would be on the level of Cars Land. That's not physically possible. The "world" of Toy Story - aka Andy's backyard - isn't an environment anyone wants to explore. Big grass and oversized toy props doesn't make for a compelling environment. Radiator Springs is a compelling environment with the Cadillac Range looming over it. This is in NO way comparable. I'm sure they won't skimp on theming - the problem is that there's nothing to theme. It's a weak, weak theme. The rides will be fine - Buzz's Mater ride and the coaster look perfectly nice. But the Toy Story theme isn't a transporting one and it's not an environment anyone is pining to explore, unlike Cars/Star Wars/Harry Potter.

I wish they'd just be honest rather than try to BS stuff to the fans. The audience's tepid response to the announcement at D23 was telling - don't try to tell us it's some Cars Land-level thing when it's clearly not. It's a family land with a couple family rides. Great, that's fine - just don't sell it as something it ain't. We can tell the difference.

I agree, the land doesn't have the WOW factor. Not saying the coaster won't have that, it might be amazing.

Mouse_Trap

So was there any information given to think this is going to be any more than Toy Story Carnyland?

Aka 3 el-chepo off the shelf rides that could have come straight from the latest travelling carnival that closed down?

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see them do something amazing. I just have this feeling they won't.

Californian Elitist

It's a shame DHS couldn't truly get something unique.

A Toy Story Land is odd because there's no actual place in the films where the characters live. I know they live in Andy's room, but a child's room doesn't equate to a place, like Hogsmede and Radiator Springs does. I'm betting that's why some people are having a hard time with the concept. It's odd.

I said this in another thread, based on what we've been given so far, I'm not very impressed, but time will tell.

ChesterKiwi

I'm late, sorry if this has been discussed...does it seem like the sound stage where Jack Sparrow was (is, but that's another issue...) will be where the path to this goes? I'm thinking so, or else that means they expect to use the little path beside that building. Ha.

ToTBellHop

I agree, the land doesn't have the WOW factor. Not saying the coaster won't have that, it might be amazing.
It was a poor choice of wording. Of all lands to liken your new project to, you go with the creme dela creme? The obvious comparison would have been to say it will be up to the standard of Midway Mania, which is VERY popular and a more reasonable level to achieve here. You compare it to Carsland and set it up to fail before you show the first concept art.

Her line was, "Ever since we opened Toy Story Mania to overwhelming success, our guests have been asking for more like it. So now we are answering. Not only are we expanding TSM's capacity, we are also introducing Toy Story Land, a continuation of our adventures with Andy's toys. This time, our guests will travel from Andy's bedroom toy set in TSM to the family backyard where Andy, like most children, has left a collection of toys. For example, he's built a roller coaster with Slinky Dog that guests will soon be able to experience (pause for gasps, wows, calls for an end to Universal, and concept art/video). Guests will also be able to go for a spin in the crane machine from Pizza Planet (pause for tears of joy accompanying concept art)!"

She misread the cue card.

ToTBellHop

A Toy Story Land is odd because there's no actual place in the films where the characters live. I know they live in Andy's room, but a child's room doesn't equate to a place, like Hogsmede and Radiator Springs does. I'm betting that's why some people are having a hard time with the concept. It's odd.

I said this in another thread, based on what we've been given so far, I'm not very impressed, but time will tell.
See, I don't get it. Unless you grew up under a fascist or communist regime, you had a bedroom with toys and a backyard covered in toys. It should make people nostalgic. I teared up the first time I saw the Midway Mania queue with lots of mutterings of "I forgot about that toy!" The ride itself is less compelling to me, but my love of that queue equates to (obvious) excitement toward this project.

The Toy Story films tug at my heart strings for the same reason. I was devastated at the thought of those those toys falling into an incinerator!

Californian Elitist

See, I don't get it. Unless you grew up under a fascist or communist regime, you had a bedroom with toys and a backyard covered in toys. It should make people nostalgic. I teared up the first time I saw the Midway Mania queue with lots of mutterings of "I forgot about that toy!" The ride itself is less compelling to me, but my love of that queue equates to (obvious) excitement toward this project.

The Toy Story films tug at my heart strings for the same reason. I was devastated at the thought of those those toys falling into an incinerator!

I'm confused. Where in my post did I mention anything about nostalgia or a dislike of the franchise?

invader

I think you really summed it up best. Not impressed but not exactly underwhelmed with the land either. As long as it doesn't end up like A Bug's Land (which is awful) I think it will be okay.

ToTBellHop

I'm confused. Where in my post did I mention anything about nostalgia or a dislike of the franchise?
You said you think people are struggling with the concept due to lack of clarity of place. I'm saying I don't understand how people are struggling to connect with Toy Story. We were all kids once and most of us should be able to identify with the locations. Even more so if you are a Millennial who grew up on Toy Story.

Mickey5150

So if she said it's going to be as themed as the Rapunzel bathrooms she would get blasted for it being not enough. So she says it's going to be themed as well as one of their best projects and she is also blasted. Disney is expanding, isn't that what everyone has been crying for?

CinematicFusion

It was a poor choice of wording. Of all lands to liken your new project to, you go with the creme dela creme? The obvious comparison would have been to say it will be up to the standard of Midway Mania, which is VERY popular and a more reasonable level to achieve here. You compare it to Carsland and set it up to fail before you show the first concept art.

Her line was, "Ever since we opened Toy Story Mania to overwhelming success, our guests have been asking for more like it. So now we are answering. Not only are we expanding TSM's capacity, we are also introducing Toy Story Land, a continuation of our adventures with Andy's toys. This time, our guests will travel from Andy's bedroom toy set in TSM to the family backyard where Andy, like most children, has left a collection of toys. For example, he's built a roller coaster with Slinky Dog that guests will soon be able to experience (pause for gasps, wows, calls for an end to Universal, and concept art/video). Guests will also be able to go for a spin in the crane machine from Pizza Planet (pause for tears of joy accompanying concept art)!"

She misread the cue card.

Very true, comparing it to cars land was a mistake.
I have girls age 3 1/2, they should enjoy this land and I'll enjoy it with them. Would I care about the land if I Didn't have kids? No....but I would be interested in the coaster development. That ride has potential.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom