Toy Story Land expansion announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

Miceberg

I'm wondering if Pixar Place will be retained and considered the gateway to Toy Story Land. Just because Toy Story Land is going to be created doesn't mean that future Pixar expansion can't/won't happen. For example, Bug's Land (which is geared towards the preschool set) in DCA has its own little corner and has been designed so the guest gets the feeling that they are the size of a bug (in TSL the guest will be the size of a toy). Outside of the boundaries of Bug's Land is the walkway to Radiator Springs and Carsland.

PhotoDave219

Yeah, I see a few pages disappearing soon.

I mean .... its ONLY toy story. Its a very family-oriented land.

Plus all the announcements were purposely vague and gave away as little detail as humanly possible. I'm not willing to sit back and make judgements of "Thats It?" based on the business-speak of BobbyC.

When you find the permits, THEN i'll be a tad more persuaded one way or the other. Until then, Zenia needs to give BobbyC a few pointers on "Know Your Audience"....

Beckett

Hi! I've had a lot of work and hadn't been able to read anything about these new announcements. Are Star Wars land and Toy Story land both coming to Orlando, FL? Or only to California? I read Star Wars is for both but I am not sure. Sorry if you already answered this, I am too excited to read through the 31 pages! :D Also, does anyone know the opening dates/year?

Timothy_Q

I'm hoping other smaller things happen in the park besides Star Wars and Toy Story.

Like a new show for Theater of the Stars.
Sprucing up Muppet square and retheming HISTK, if they end up staying.

PorterRedkey

Hi! I've had a lot of work and hadn't been able to read anything about these new announcements. Are Star Wars land and Toy Story land both coming to Orlando, FL? Or only to California? I read Star Wars is for both but I am not sure. Sorry if you already answered this, I am too excited to read through the 31 pages! :D Also, does anyone know the opening dates/year?

No dates, Toy Story land is ONLY coming to Orlando and Star Wars is going to both American parks.

Beckett

elf_joy.gif

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Summary at http://www.wdwmagic.com/news.htm

PhotoDave219

Florida.

Opening? God only knows

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Then they really shouldn't try and promote it as something to get excited and worked up about if it's simply going to be something no "less than many of the lands in MK". Why not really put the Imagineers to work on a new and creative kind of attraction to give the public? Re-theming rides based on already-existing rides in the other parks just smacks of laziness to me.
Your theory really only holds water if the coaster is a retheme of Barnstormer. Not sure how you got that from the concept art and saying it over and over isn't going to make it any more true;)

PorterRedkey

Your theory really only holds water if the coaster is a retheme of Barnstormer. Not sure how you got that from the concept art and saying it over and over isn't going to make it any more true;)
No way this is a barnstormer-like coaster. I do think it is a minimal-themed exposed coaster. But with a lift hill and a launch, I think it will be very popular, even if it is very short.

Last edited:

ToTBellHop

No way this is a barnstormer-like coaster. It do think it is a minimal themed exposed coaster, but with a lift hill and a launch, I think it will be very popular, even if it is very short.
I don't personally think it's minimally themed. I think it's immersive but some people just don't like the theme. At least it's a custom build unlike Barnstormer or Primeval Whirl (they both have some special modifications to work for Disney but are largely OTS). If you built a box around it and installed black lights, it would be better themed than RnRC and Space Mountain.

Kamikaze

I don't personally think it's minimally themed. I think it's immersive but some people just don't like the theme. At least it's a custom build unlike Barnstormer or Primeval Whirl (they both have some special modifications to work for Disney but are largely OTS). If you built a box around it and installed black lights, it would be better themed than RnRC and Space Mountain.

You cannot truthfully know that at this juncture.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
No way this is a barnstormer-like coaster. It do think it is a minimal themed exposed coaster, but with a lift hill and a launch, I think it will be very popular, even if it is very short.
We'll have to wait for more details to know, but if this land covers 11 acres and the coaster in the concept art stretches over large portions of that land it likely won't be short. At least not for a coaster. It can't be a 15 minute ride like a slow moving dark ride, but if the concept art holds true and the ride isn't changed it will be a lot longer than barnstormer or Mine Train.

PorterRedkey

I am not thrilled with RnRC theming either. It could at least be as good a the Paris version of RnRC.

As far a the Slinky coaster, I think they have made a good story to explain the exposed track. I like the idea of Andy putting Slinky Dog on the roller coaster track he built. I am just not a big fan of an exposed steel coaster, even if you pass green army men along the ride.

I still think it is better than getting RC Racers and the fact it is unique to DHS is also a plus.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
You cannot truthfully know that at this juncture.
We can't know for sure what the theming will be like, but the concept art looks a lot like the theme of the existing Toy Story Playlands with oversized toys and guests shrunk down. I think it's a good assumption that the theming will be similar to TSPL. Some like it, some don't. The level of quality is also still unknown.

PorterRedkey

We'll have to wait for more details to know, but if this land covers 11 acres and the coaster in the concept art stretches over large portions of that land it likely won't be short. At least not for a coaster. It can't be a 15 minute ride like a slow moving dark ride, but if the concept art holds true and the ride isn't changed it will be a lot longer than barnstormer or Mine Train.

If the art and simulation are actually what the coaster will consist of, It will be around 1:30. There does not look to be any slowed dark ride scene like we have in SDMT. The launch aspect of the ride will also shorten the actual ride time, even it requires more room to execute. Seems like there should be more for 11 acres, but we will just have to wait and see.

GiveMeTheMusic

LOL @ Kathy Mangum saying it would be on the level of Cars Land. That's not physically possible. The "world" of Toy Story - aka Andy's backyard - isn't an environment anyone wants to explore. Big grass and oversized toy props doesn't make for a compelling environment. Radiator Springs is a compelling environment with the Cadillac Range looming over it. This is in NO way comparable. I'm sure they won't skimp on theming - the problem is that there's nothing to theme. It's a weak, weak theme. The rides will be fine - Buzz's Mater ride and the coaster look perfectly nice. But the Toy Story theme isn't a transporting one and it's not an environment anyone is pining to explore, unlike Cars/Star Wars/Harry Potter.

I wish they'd just be honest rather than try to BS stuff to the fans. The audience's tepid response to the announcement at D23 was telling - don't try to tell us it's some Cars Land-level thing when it's clearly not. It's a family land with a couple family rides. Great, that's fine - just don't sell it as something it ain't. We can tell the difference.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom