Toy Story Land expansion announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Looks like they may be building something to hide the garage from TSL...

upload_2016-12-4_13-40-45.png

WDW862

They seem to be making a lot of progress in a short period of time. Does anyone have any idea when this is opening? 2021?

Goofyernmost

I am not saying we are but given the the time frame what closed and when this whole project is beyond ridiculous.
When they closed the area has absolutely nothing to do with construction time. That begins when they start construction. There is a lot of invisible things that happen on construction sites that are required before they can even plan the layout. Surveying, perk testing, footing needs based on rock solid locations to put them. It would have been difficult to do that with people milling about. But, like I said if they had cleared out the area 20 years ago it wouldn't matter when it comes go construction time. That is filed under wishful thinking. They had no need to do anything until they had done the engineering, planning, layout and it was approved. Once they started, they have been moving along at a very reasonable pace.

DinoInstitute

When they closed the area has absolutely nothing to do with construction time. That begins when they start construction. There is a lot of invisible things that happen on construction sites that are required before they can even plan the layout. Surveying, perk testing, footing needs based on rock solid locations to put them. It would have been difficult to do that with people milling about. But, like I said if they had cleared out the area 20 years ago it wouldn't matter when it comes go construction time. That is filed under wishful thinking. They had no need to do anything until they had done the engineering, planning, layout and it was approved.
As much as that may be, it shouldn't had to have taken a year and a half.

Last edited:

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
When they closed the area has absolutely nothing to do with construction time. That begins when they start construction. There is a lot of invisible things that happen on construction sites that are required before they can even plan the layout. Surveying, perk testing, footing needs based on rock solid locations to put them. It would have been difficult to do that with people milling about. But, like I said if they had cleared out the area 20 years ago it wouldn't matter when it comes go construction time. That is filed under wishful thinking. They had no need to do anything until they had done the engineering, planning, layout and it was approved. Once they started, they have been moving along at a very reasonable pace.

Guess that depends on meaning of reasonable pace. FLE first spoken of in 2009 was to open in 2 phases 2012 & 2013. Project ended in May 2014.
Reasonable build time for a restaurant, a small coaster and a track dark ride?
Debatable.

After years of waiting Disney finally broke ground on Pandora early January 2014, just shy of 3 years later and still no Pandora. Reasonable Pace?

Rivers of Light-on a pre-existing river. Announced May 2014 to open Spring Break-ish 2016, I believe March. Admittedly I have not followed it this weekend but last I heard this is still a no go for Disney Guests or at best opened this weekend???

I'm old enough to have watched 4 parks surface to create WDW, me and this is just me I am hard pressed to believe Disney can build at a reasonable pace these days. Even a shopping District went from bulldozers and Hyperon to Disney Springs November 2010 to 2016 and getting closer to finishing the build. That is a lot of time for restaurants/strip malls even by Disney's pace. Not like they are designing a world class roller coaster.

lazyboy97o

It is a roller coaster and a flat ride. Roller coaster projects routinely go from idea to opening day in 18 - 24 months. Flat rides are even simpler.

Goofyernmost

As much as that may be, it shouldn't had to have taken a year and a half.
What is that based on. It's private property and they didn't have to do anything at all. It is entirely up to them. We have no say nor any basis of comparison since we don't know what the intent was to begin with. All I saw was non-draw things closed. The Car show, the BLT and Streets of America. Look how long Sound Dangerous has been closed or WoL. How about how long 20K was closed. Do we count that as the construction time? Means nothing in that context. There is no law or standard that says that they have to have something there pronto. It is easier on everyone if we just forget about that time because it truly doesn't have anything to do with anything.

Goofyernmost

Guess that depends on meaning of reasonable pace. FLE first spoken of in 2009 was to open in 2 phases 2012 & 2013. Project ended in May 2014.
Reasonable build time for a restaurant, a small coaster and a track dark ride?
Debatable.

After years of waiting Disney finally broke ground on Pandora early January 2014, just shy of 3 years later and still no Pandora. Reasonable Pace?

Rivers of Light-on a pre-existing river. Announced May 2014 to open Spring Break-ish 2016, I believe March. Admittedly I have not followed it this weekend but last I heard this is still a no go for Disney Guests or at best opened this weekend???

I'm old enough to have watched 4 parks surface to create WDW, me and this is just me I am hard pressed to believe Disney can build at a reasonable pace these days. Even a shopping District went from bulldozers and Hyperon to Disney Springs November 2010 to 2016 and getting closer to finishing the build. That is a lot of time for restaurants/strip malls even by Disney's pace. Not like they are designing a world class roller coaster.
Yup, since we have no way of or even any business deciding how long it should or shouldn't take to build a complex land, then how can we possibly know if it's to long or not. Many times it has been stated that they built all of Epcot in 3 years. I have to remind people that since all things were being built at the same time, it took three years for each attraction to be built. What is the difference? Even then Epcot wasn't done when they opened it. If any of us, and that includes me have any real experience building a theme park attraction then perhaps it is worthy of attention, but, we don't. We don't have a clue about what is involved. But, we seem to know what is reasonable. To me reasonable is when they get it done. There is no incentive to drag out the time, contrary to popular belief. No attraction will ever begin to realize a return on investment until it is open. Until then it is pure cash outlay. Those workers in the projects are not working on promissory notes.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom