Toy Story Land expansion announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

ToTBellHop

The theming wasn't very good for the ride, and I see no reason why they should pay 100+ million for something not half as good as everest, or even big thunder, and I don't know how it will be, but that is based on my interpretation. Not saying your 300 million dollar land cost is false, but could you post the source?
Let me just check my camera roll for the budget for the DHS expansion..........:banghead:

I've been correct about a good deal on this project. Not much else before this project though because I made a friend.

Daveeeeed

And for that bargain price they got a painful, hideous ride that ruins the look of everything it passes through and over. Yay!
I don't think it looks hideous from my experience of being there. It could be better though. Toy Story land's coaster imo doesn't look like it will cost in no way upwards of 45 million even when accounting 7 years of inflation for the track's cost alone. Scenery is going to balloon the budget of the slinky coaster like any other ride scenery and animatronics does for Disney rides, but this ride doesn't have that expensive scenery, and I have no clue how much the trenches will cost, but it won't even be able to counter EE's mountain. The land is not a WOW land likecars, avatar, or star wars. It is a filler land having a purpose and doing it well. It will be immersive. It will be good, but like it or not the land can't even compete with Diagon Alley, Hogsmeade, Cars Land, Pandora - The World of Avatar, and Star Wars land. It just can't, but it can still do its purpose well. It is like saying Big thunder is not a good ride just because Expedition Everest is better. They are both good, but one is better than the other, and I think the cost will be represented as such for toy story land being the bug thunder in this scenario.

Daveeeeed

Hardly a stellar example.
How so? This is for the ride's track cost. All the difference is that the track could cost less, because rip ride includes the line. Not to mention inflation so I figure it evens out for the most part. Slinky dog coaster is not going to have scenery cost as much as The Forbidden Mountain of ee.

lazyboy97o

How so? This is for the ride's track cost. All the difference is that the track could cost less, because rip ride includes the line. Not to mention inflation so I figure it evens out for the most part. Slinky dog coaster is not going to have scenery cost as much as The Forbidden Mountain of ee.
Because the whole project was a mess that took a long time to barely make work. That project cost went into more than just track. $22 million bought Thunderbird and Lightning Rod.

Daveeeeed

Because the whole project was a mess that took a long time to barely make work. That project cost went into more than just track. $22 million bought Thunderbird and Lightning Rod.
I don't see Disney spending 22 million on the track and either way if they spend, let's say 70 million in all for the ride. With 50 million for the scenery, track, vehicles, and que plus loading. That could work.
I am just going to assume because of inflation (comparing to the hollywood rip ride rockit, and elevated ride costs plus just being Disney that it will cost around 40 million for the track plus the beams. It's just my opinion, and if Disney feels like they can spend 1 billion on this ride I don't care, or if they want to go cheap and not make an ultra smooth coaster for 20 million that is their thing too. But I personally think the track plus beams will cost about 40-45m and the rest of the ride 20-30. I will probably be wrong, but I am just trying to have fun estimating without pinpoint accuracy

Last edited:

Daveeeeed

Last I heard the costuming facilities are still operating and have not been closed/demoed. Plus I also thought that there was still props left on the Backlot
Okay like I said I assumed, but because Disney feels like it they clearly want to have the demo within a shorter distance from one another.

lazyboy97o

I don't see Disney spending 22 million on the track and either way if they spend, let's say 70 million in all for the ride. 50 million for the scenery, track, vehicles, and que plus loading. That could work. I am just going to assume because of inflation, and elevated ride costs plus just being Disney that it will cost around 40 million for the track plus the beams. It's just my opinion, and if Disney feels like they can spend 1 billion on this ride I don't care, or if they want to go cheap and not make an ultra smooth coaster for 20 million that is their thing too. But I personally think the track plus beams will cost about 40-45m and the rest of the ride 20-30. I will probably be wrong, but I am just trying to have fun estimating with pinpoint accuracy or not.
What inflation? Thunderbird opened months ago and Lightning Rod is still under construction. Disney doesn't manufacturer their own coasters, they buy them from a vendor just like everybody else.

Daveeeeed

I believe that because of this 'arms race' between DIsney and Universal parks like SeaWorld, Busch Gardens, Legoland and others are going to be in the most pain unfortunately. As well as beaches too really.

Next Big Thing

That's great that $22MM did that at some other park. They're probably bare steel coasters too.

Beyond the tinker toy theming, there are trenches to be dug and rockwork to be molded all along the track. THAT is what will cost a good chunk of money. This attraction will come in at $80M minimum... probably closer to $100M.

You can keep arguing about what it "should" cost and what other parks have done, but that's just as irrelevant as the HRRR comparison you shot down, because it's not WDI working the project.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
That's great that $22MM did that at some other park. They're probably bare steel coasters too.

Beyond the tinker toy theming, there are trenches to be dug and rockwork to be molded all along the track. THAT is what will cost a good chunk of money. This attraction will come in at $80M minimum... probably closer to $100M.

You can keep arguing about what it "should" cost and what other parks have done, but that's just as irrelevant as the HRRR comparison you shot down, because it's not WDI working the project.

You do know WDWs Big Thundermountain Railroad would cost an inflation adjusted $50-60 million to build today?

Compare that to the TSL coaster.

lazyboy97o

The conversation has been about how much just a plain roller coaster costs...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom