Toy Story Land expansion announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

SirLink

That is good to know. I never said anything about SoA/LMA/CC. Still not relevant to the math problem unless CC is Common Core. LOL. January 2015 to June 2018 is 2.5 years.

Nothing has been demoed as of now behind TSMM, so how does work start in January again?

G00fyDad

o-MATH-ANXIETY-facebook.jpg

SirLink

Backstage work has already begun but again that is irrelevant to the simple math problem. Do you not agree that Jan 2015 to Jun 2018 is about 2.5 years?

Yes and that is not relevant as where TSL will be there has been no demolition and will certainly be no construction beginning until the costume centre is moved. Again not 2.5 years.

1 year of partial demolition absolutely. But again foundations to welcoming guests on rides 1.5 years.

yensidtlaw1969

Backstage work has already begun but again that is irrelevant to the simple math problem. Do you not agree that Jan 2015 to Jun 2018 is about 2.5 years?
You must mean January 2016, right?

Because, by my math:

January 2015 - January 2016 = 1 year
January 2015 - January 2017 = 2 years
January 2015 - January 2018 = 3 years

. . . plus 6 months, give or take a few months, is approximately 3.5 years. I feel silly spelling this out . . .

danlb_2000

Premium Member
For Toy Story Land? Nope they have to build and have open the new costuming center and moving other backstage facilities before any real demolition will happen - which should be late 2016. SoA is not where TSL is being built.

Do you know for a fact that the new location for the costuming isn't ready to go?

Nothing has been demoed as of now behind TSMM, so how does work start in January again?

The notices of commencement have been filed for the backstage work in the TSL area so I would expect to see working beginning back there any time now, assuming it hasn't already started.

SirLink

Do you know for a fact that the new location for the costuming isn't ready to go?

The notices of commencement have been filed for the backstage work in the TSL area so I would expect to see working beginning back there any time now, assuming it hasn't already started.

Last I heard they were building a new version somewhere else, not necessarily at DHS, that would take 9-12 months to build. I can't see them pulling it down until the new building is ready. I also can't see them bulldozing anything until all the buildings are free.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Last I heard they were building a new version somewhere else, not necessarily at DHS, that would take 9-12 months to build. I can't see them pulling it down until the new building is ready. I also can't see them bulldozing anything until all the buildings are free.

I haven't seen any permits that would indicate a new structure is being build anywhere else to accommodate the costume shop. The contractor that filed the permits for the TSL generally does site prep and they aren't going to file a notice of commencement and then wait 9 months to start. This all leads me to believe an existing structure is going to be used for the costume shop which may already be ready for them to move into.

Next Big Thing

At the earliest TSL would be Summer 2018. That's 2 and a half years which seems to be about the average time it takes them to build new lands like fantasyland and avatar. And I don't buy that they are fast tracking any of this to speed up the process when it's going to take them almost a year to convert pizza planet into another pizza restaurant with a new theme.
There's nothing too complex about TSL though. It could easily be done by the end of next year if they just speed up a tad from their usual speed. TSL is nothing close to Avatarland in the complexities of the lands.

SirLink

I haven't seen any permits that would indicate a new structure is being build anywhere else to accommodate the costume shop. The contractor that filed the permits for the TSL generally does site prep and they aren't going to file a notice of commencement and then wait 9 months to start. This all leads me to believe an existing structure is going to be used for the costume shop which may already be ready for them to move into.

Whats the expiry date on the permit?

lazyboy97o

There is supposed to be a new costume shop. Disney tends to fast-track projects, so demolition elsewhere starting before design is finished is part of the process.

Goofyernmost

Honestly, and it must be two years ago now, I took the backlot ride and when we went through that area, except for a few bolts of material, it was deserted. Notta, zilch... no one was in sight. At that time I wondered if they just left the room for something to show during the ride and nothing more was happening there. This was in the middle of a non-holiday week and should have had some activity there even if just a little. My feeling back then was that it could be completely empty in just a day, if that much. Considering that wardrobe is also in a pretty big building backstage in Epcot I have suspected for a long time that it was all show and no action. Isn't there also a costuming place on Sherberth Road?

Next Big Thing

That's all well and good, but there's some chance that they move Costuming to a temp site while the new building is being built and so they can get them the hell out of the park, no?

I'd think it silly to waste practically a year so you can get something like Costuming, which can be done from anywhere, out of your hair. Sure it might suck for them for a bit, but there's no reason that a building was started to be built when the damn BLT closed really.

Next Big Thing

Honestly, and it must be two years ago now, I took the backlot ride and when we went through that area, except for a few bolts of material, it was deserted. Notta, zilch... no one was in sight. At that time I wondered if they just left the room for something to show during the ride and nothing more was happening there. This was in the middle of a non-holiday week and should have had some activity there even if just a little. My feeling back then was that it could be completely empty in just a day, if that much. Considering that wardrobe is also in a pretty big building backstage in Epcot I have suspected for a long time that it was all show and no action. Isn't there also a costuming place on Sherberth Road?
You are mistaking the CM wardrobe places (every park has them) for Costuming at DHS. Not the same at all.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom