Toy Story Land Already Disappointing?

Surfin' Tuna

I want epic theming and the incredible "Disney-ness" that used to be so prevalent in their NON thrilling themes. Disney is actually seemingly moving toward a more thrilling experience, see Tron and GotG. I'd RATHER have an updated Universe of Energy than a Guardians Rollercoaster.

This!

This is something about Disney that always separated it from and kept it leaps and bounds all others. I think people lose sight of what made Disney - Disney. It could be the hand prints in front of the Chinese Theater or the snow on the back of Gertie the Dinosaur, but the park was built with those little details. Now there is nothing but clamoring for more "thrill rides," and there is already a park nearby that's great at that. It's not great at the family entertainment that draws most of back to Disney time and time again.

It's why I posted one time that I'll kind of miss UOE and not just for the nap time, but it was what Epcot was all about. Yes, life moves forward, but I don't go to Disney to think about real life too much. There's a place for a roller coaster and a place for "stupid Judy" jokes.

PS I'd enjoy a ride that shoots people out onto World Drive. Every time I'm there I see a person or two whom I'd likely encourage to get on the ride.

tomast

I can see how you might be let down if you were expecting Toy Story Land to be bigger or have more. But I think it'd be a good idea to wait and see the finished product before we declare it a disappointment. Lasseter made Cars Land is pretty awesome. I think he'll deliver with Toy Story Land.

I think we can say it is a disappointment...
DhvtPbKXUAMkk8X.jpg

ElvisMickey

I went this past Saturday morning for a couple of hours...got there before rope drop, waited less than 20 minutes to get on Slinky Dog, had a couple of snacks and checked out the new entrance to Midway Mania. In general, I was pleasantly surprised with the entire land. Slinky Dog was fun, a little more intense in a couple of spots than Seven Dwarfs Mine Train. The land is well themed with plenty of detail and fun things to look at. Is it going to please the hard core thrill addicts? Probably not. But it's a nice addition to DHS that I ended up enjoying more than I thought I would and is definitely not just a kiddie area.

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member
I went this past Saturday morning for a couple of hours...got there before rope drop, waited less than 20 minutes to get on Slinky Dog, had a couple of snacks and checked out the new entrance to Midway Mania. In general, I was pleasantly surprised with the entire land. Slinky Dog was fun, a little more intense in a couple of spots than Seven Dwarfs Mine Train. The land is well themed with plenty of detail and fun things to look at. Is it going to please the hard core thrill addicts? Probably not. But it's a nice addition to DHS that I ended up enjoying more than I thought I would and is definitely not just a kiddie area.

At 5:45 PM ET the wait for slinky, toy story, and aliens was 75,60,and 30. FOP is 110, and 7DMT is also 110. Not bad, but not great. But then again with all the construction, the park is still not a full day park.

CaptainJackNO

I agree, and if Star Wars Galaxy's Edge is anywhere near the quality of the current meet and greets for Star Wars, DHS will be back, and in my opinion, better than ever in regards to experiences offered. I miss the original, but I am nostalgic, but these new additions are looking good to me.

Bairstow

Lol, leave it to this site. Now short wait times means disappointment.

I kind of get where the thinking comes from, though.
It's logical for fans to want to compare the big, single-story based, multi-attraction lands that the industry leaders have been building recently. Between Hogsmeade, Pandora, and Diagon Alley, all of them created significant attendance improvements to their host parks (if not industry-changing ones) and experienced hours-long queues for their main attractions for months on end after opening.
Toy Story Land... hasn't.
Of course the comparison isn't remotely fair and anyone who takes more than a minute to compare the areas will understand that the first three all featured one or more game-changing, pull all the stops, E-ticket extravaganza attractions and Toy Story Land... doesn't.
It's a perfectly acceptable (and badly needed) kid-centric area with a flat ride and a moderately-themed family coaster. Even the general public can figure that out, and while Disney has certainly done a fair amount of advertising for the place I would be surprised if a great number of people were changing their travel/vacation plans specifically to visit a flat ride and a moderately-themed family coaster.
...like they did for the Potter Expansions, or Pandora.

This makes me wonder, though- what were the queue times like for the Dwarves' Mine Train like when it first opened? Anyone got any historical data? I was lucky enough to be at the Magic Kingdom when the first part of the New Fantasyland stuff was in softs but not the Mine Train. Every time I've been back the queue for that has been horrendous, but then so has the queue for all the popular Magic Kingdom rides because there's always a gazillion people in there.

Last edited:

Chef Mickey

Original Poster
The skepticism came from Iger’s not producing 1 E-Ticket in his entire tenure and Avatar didn’t exist at the time.

I’ll enjoy the new land, but I believe the new attractions have room for improvement. I’d like a Great Movie Ride, American Adventure, Splash Mountain, Tower of Terror, or Horizons. Do any recent attractions compare to those?

MinnieWaffles

The skepticism came from Iger’s not producing 1 E-Ticket in his entire tenure and Avatar didn’t exist at the time.

I’ll enjoy the new land, but I believe the new attractions have room for improvement. I’d like a Great Movie Ride, American Adventure, Splash Mountain, Tower of Terror, or Horizons. Do any recent attractions compare to those?

Not every ride has to be aimed at you. It's okay to have some more kiddie rides in the parks.

crxbrett

This makes me wonder, though- what were the queue times like for the Dwarves' Mine Train like when it first opened? Anyone got any historical data? I was lucky enough to be at the Magic Kingdom when the first part of the New Fantasyland stuff was in softs but not the Mine Train. Every time I've been back the queue for that has been horrendous, but then so has the queue for all the popular Magic Kingdom rides because there's always a gazillion people in there.

I'm a madman when it comes to doing statistics, so I am looking into this now. It's going to take me a while to get through 4 years worth of daily queue times, but I will post what I discover once I am done!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom