Toy Story and Soarin Rumors

FutureCEO

Original Poster
NOT MY RUMOR. I"M JUST POSTING IT.

"Well, according to my sources, much of the challenges relative to waiting in long queues will partly be relieved as Epcot’s Soarin’ has commenced work on a third theater behind The Land. Already, a number of trailers have been removed from behind that area to allow for the building of an additional theater/projection system. Currently there are two theaters already when the entire attraction is up and running. With the new movie being added where guests will be Soarin’ around the world instead of just California, it’s considered that this will help relieve some of the additional demand for experiencing the attraction.

Interestingly the same thing is being planned for Disney’s Toy Story Mania. Because of how the vehicles spin about, many guests don’t know that there are actually two track systems that carry guests through the many games. By taking over the Soundstage 1 space temporarily held by the wildly popular Oaken’s Trading Post and Frozen Funland, they will be able to add an additional track and again increase capacity. The upside of that is that more guests will experience the attraction. The downside is that many had hoped the space would be used for another attraction. The timing for this is a little uncertain. But those waiting for major changes to the Studios have become accustomed to second-guessing the timing of things."

reported from disneyatwork.com
-----------------------------------------------------------------

I don't believe it until I see it but those two rides have some of the longest wait times ever and slow moving lines too. They should also find a way to make the Soarin building less of an eyesore.

Last edited:

BTAN

"Well, according to my sources, much of the challenges relative to waiting in long queues will partly be relieved as Epcot’s Soarin’ has commenced work on a third theater behind The Land. Already, a number of trailers have been removed from behind that area to allow for the building of an additional theater/projection system. Currently there are two theaters already when the entire attraction is up and running. With the new movie being added where guests will be Soarin’ around the world instead of just California, it’s considered that this will help relieve some of the additional demand for experiencing the attraction.

Interestingly the same thing is being planned for Disney’s Toy Story Mania. Because of how the vehicles spin about, many guests don’t know that there are actually two track systems that carry guests through the many games. By taking over the Soundstage 1 space temporarily held by the wildly popular Oaken’s Trading Post and Frozen Funland, they will be able to add an additional track and again increase capacity. The upside of that is that more guests will experience the attraction. The downside is that many had hoped the space would be used for another attraction. The timing for this is a little uncertain. But those waiting for major changes to the Studios have become accustomed to second-guessing the timing of things."

I don't believe it until I see it but those two rides have some of the longest wait times ever and slow moving lines too. They should also find a way to make the Soarin building less of an eyesore.

So the new Soarin movie won't open until the additional theater is built?

Rinx

I never heard of that website, personally. Besides, if they were to use Soundstage 1 to expand TSM, at some point they would have to close the attraction to add the switches and sync it up, etc. It may not exactly be a short time either. I don't see them closing the most popular attraction unless it somehow wouldn't take more than a couple days or if they do all that work after hours.

Alektronic

NOT MY RUMOR. I"M JUST POSTING IT.

I can confirm that I heard that same rumor a couple of months from upper management, it is all about increasing capacity for popular rides. I don't know if they are going through with it but it is definitely being discussed with upper management.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I'm with @PhotoDave219 on this one, else we'd have seen some permits at least from @danlb_2000 . Anything filed oh keeper of all things permits?

Nope, have not seen permits for either of these projects. If the Soarin theatre project was actually under way I think we would have seen permits by now. Spirit did mention not to long ago that a third Soarin' theatre was being talked about.

Alektronic

Nope, have not seen permits for either of these projects. If the Soarin theatre project was actually under way I think we would have seen permits by now. Spirit did mention not to long ago that a third Soarin' theatre was being talked about.

Soarin' 3rd Theater is a go, they are relocating everyone who had offices back there and started to move things around, there is a lot of site prep work to do before they even begin, when the actual construction begins? who knows? but probably around end of the year. But the big priority right now is the Maelstrom refurb.

ABQ

Soarin' 3rd Theater is a go, they are relocating everyone who had offices back there and started to move things around, there is a lot of site prep work to do before they even begin, when the actual construction begins? who knows? but probably around end of the year. But the big priority right now is the Maelstrom refurb.
Not to derail the thread...but any possible time frame for that Maelstrom refurb to commence?

Mike S

Speaks volumes about Disney's mindset. Crowds for Diagon Alley prove people want to see huge quality additions (who would've thought?:rolleyes:) and the Frozen party proves how much people want to see this IP in the parks and all Disney is doing is an overlay. If I shook my head enough times to fully show my disappointment it would probably fall off.

rct247

The Toy Story rumor has to be false because of the current building layout. The queue/Mr. Potato Head separate the ride portion from Sound Stage 1. Now if the expanded the back of the building out it becomes a little more plausible but even then there is a backstage road/ fire lane that would need to be rerouted.

ABQ

I have been hearing around October, probably because it is the start of the new fiscal year, but things could always change.
Of course, I'd never hold you to that time frame, just curious. I'm visiting in November and would love to get one last untouched ride through SeaVenture
Maelstrom+1987+2.jpg

doctornick

Speaks volumes about Disney's mindset. Crowds for Diagon Alley prove people want to see huge quality additions (who would've thought?:rolleyes:) and the Frozen party proves how much people want to see this IP in the parks and all Disney is doing is an overlay. If I shook my head enough times to fully show my disappointment it would probably fall off.

I've seen a lot of folks comment like this and I don't agree really. There is a trend to diminish the potential quality of the Frozen ride as just being an "overlay". I've seen the words "cheap" and "value engineered" used constantly as well. We don't really know the details or scope of the ride yet and it's quite possible that a very well done ride could be done in the Maelstrom space. In fact, there was at least some talk about axing the the theater (using it as a queue) and doing load/unload near the theater while using the current load as an additional show scene. Doing that, plus potentially adding some show to the lift hill (now just in darkness with Oden in front of you) could make for a pretty decent fleshed out ride experience -- Maelstrom currently is a 4.5 minute ride, so it's not like it's that short and it would be longer if they added on another room.

Please note: I do not like the idea of putting Frozen in Norway or losing Maelstrom. I am not in favor of the idea. I just think that it is too early with too few details to dismiss it as being a poorly developed ride at this point.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom