Toy Story and Soarin Rumors

Rob562

The Toy Story rumor has to be false because of the current building layout. The queue/Mr. Potato Head separate the ride portion from Sound Stage 1. Now if the expanded the back of the building out it becomes a little more plausible but even then there is a backstage road/ fire lane that would need to be rerouted.

You beat me to it. There is zero way to expand into Soundstage 1 without totally redoing the attraction.

Here's the layout:
toy_story_mania_possibilities.jpg

Soundstage 1 is to the *left* of all this. The only time the attraction gets anywhere near it is the final section of the outer track.

And the original thread that's from:
http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/toy-story-mania-layout.159467/page-2

-Rob

cw1982

The Maelstrom has probably the worst queue line on property. I would be in favor of redoing the queue line, "Frozen" it up as much as you want, just don't touch the ride!

How well would it work to "Frozen" up the queue and leave the ride alone, though? I'm not in favor of the overlay either, but I don't see how that suggestion could be functional. Seems like you'd then just have tons of little girls upset and disappointed because the queue led them to believe that the ride would be about the movie, only to have the current ride still in place.

Nope. Give Maelstrom a refurb to polish it up and give Frozen its own ride elsewhere.

doctornick

You beat me to it. There is zero way to expand into Soundstage 1 without totally redoing the attraction.

Here's the layout:
toy_story_mania_possibilities.jpg

Soundstage 1 is to the *left* of all this. The only time the attraction gets anywhere near it is the final section of the outer track.

And the original thread that's from:
http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/toy-story-mania-layout.159467/page-2

-Rob

Interesting. Does the last stretch (the vertical part) of the blue path have games? Or is that just movement to get back to the unload? If there are not games there, I would think you could have a third line that merges with blue at the upper left and they travel together before merging with green to go to the red unload.

Just eyeballing it, it looks like blue is longer than green so I suspect there might be a "travel" area that isn't filled with games for that route.

Rob562

Interesting. Does the last stretch (the vertical part) of the blue path have games? Or is that just movement to get back to the unload? If there are not games there, I would think you could have a third line that merges with blue at the upper left and they travel together before merging with green to go to the red unload.

Just eyeballing it, it looks like blue is longer than green so I suspect there might be a "travel" area that isn't filled with games for that route.

The long-parallel stretches of both blue and green before they merge into the red section are the final section of the ride where you stop at the upper portion for a bit and then the game continues as you slowly move to the second section of screens. Before that longer stretch each track has 4 stop points for games. (blue goes through three zig-zag stops and then the horizontal stretch, green has its horizontal stretch first and then the three zig-zags. The final score stop is part of the red track.

-Rob

doctornick

The long-parallel stretches of both blue and green before they merge into the red section are the final section of the ride where you stop at the upper portion for a bit and then the game continues as you slowly move to the second section of screens. Before that longer stretch each track has 4 stop points for games. (blue goes through three zig-zag stops and then the horizontal stretch, green has its horizontal stretch first and then the three zig-zags. The final score stop is part of the red track.

-Rob

So, the question is whether the long-parallel stretch at the end of blue can be used for a second route's worth of cars merged in or is it full all the time with vehicles?

I'm not sure if I'm explaining my question well, though.

MikeTaylorSound

How well would it work to "Frozen" up the queue and leave the ride alone, though? I'm not in favor of the overlay either, but I don't see how that suggestion could be functional. Seems like you'd then just have tons of little girls upset and disappointed because the queue led them to believe that the ride would be about the movie, only to have the current ride still in place.

Nope. Give Maelstrom a refurb to polish it up and give Frozen its own ride elsewhere.

They already did that kind of patchwork concept in the Stave Church. If anything, Norway would be smart to update the movie they play and tailor it to the movie phenomenon, kind of like the behind-the-scenes movie they play before Captain EO. They should just open up the old playground space next to the bathrooms and Frozen that up. Maybe have the ship stuck in "ice" from the movie.

cw1982

They already did that kind of patchwork concept in the Stave Church. If anything, Norway would be smart to update the movie they play and tailor it to the movie phenomenon, kind of like the behind-the-scenes movie they play before Captain EO. They should just open up the old playground space next to the bathrooms and Frozen that up. Maybe have the ship stuck in "ice" from the movie.

I may have misunderstood your post. I thought you were saying to make the queue "Frozen" themed because you went from talking about changing the queue to adding references to Frozen. I can see some of your other ideas working nicely, but the idea of having a queue that didn't match its ride confused me lol.

ToTBellHop

They *should* build Frozen *next* to Norway, but that makes too much sense.

I think they should dump the theater and put the queue in there. They sort of have to because it doesn't seem to take a whole lot to have the queue spill out into the courtyard.
I don't think it's a "sense" issue. Bob Iger would like Frozen in the parks quickly. This is the quickest way to do it in FL. The upshot is that it updates a dated ride and produces a ride in Epcot with no height requirement that will be VERY popular. We can complain all we want, but when this has 80-minute waits, Disney will check this off as a success.

As for Soarin', there is indeed initial work going on behind the attraction.

Midway Mania seems far-fetched at best. It would be very pricey to execute. Far more complex than the 3rd Soarin' theater.

doctornick

Midway Mania seems far-fetched at best. It would be very pricey to execute. Far more complex than the 3rd Soarin' theater.

Yeah. It seems complex for the upside for it. Why not just put a simple family ride in Soundstage 1 to give families an additional ride in that park, which needs it. Even cloning the DCA Monsters Inc ride would have some benefit and can't possible be that expensive to do.

mahnamahna101

Yeah. It seems complex for the upside for it. Why not just put a simple family ride in Soundstage 1 to give families an additional ride in that park, which needs it. Even cloning the DCA Monsters Inc ride would have some benefit and can't possible be that expensive to do.
Monsters Inc dark ride in SS1, relocated Laugh Floor, Junkyard Jamboree style flat ride themed to Ratatouille, Gusteau's, Up overlay of HITSK, and Incredibles E ticket

Rob562

So, the question is whether the long-parallel stretch at the end of blue can be used for a second route's worth of cars merged in or is it full all the time with vehicles?

I'm not sure if I'm explaining my question well, though.

Nope. Both tracks are constantly full of cars. In full operation, all cars leave their current screens at the same (or close-to-the-same) time the car in front of them is leaving theirs.

Whenever the timer runs out at your current screen and you sit there with a filler "keep on playing" game that doesn't score additional points it's because there is a delay at Load/Unload that has rippled backwards and affected all of the cars on-track.

-Rob

PolynesianPrincess

Totally not on topic with TSMM or Soarin, but Frozen shouldn't be in Epcot. Frozen should be in either MK or MGM. IMHO, of course.

That being said, I feel another theater for Soarin is a great idea and while another track for TS would definitely help ease the lines a little, I would rather see another family friendly ride based on something OTHER than TS added to the mix at MGM.

doctornick

Monsters Inc dark ride in SS1, relocated Laugh Floor, Junkyard Jamboree style flat ride themed to Ratatouille, Gusteau's, Up overlay of HITSK, and Incredibles E ticket

That's the thing. You could close Backlot Tour right now, use that space and Soundstage 1 to put in some clones or other simple rides and you'd have a more complete Pixar Place very quickly. Then they can even hold off on closing LMA until down the road when they can put a more complex and longer to build E-ticket in that space.

How long would it be to do this:
* Monster Inc dark ride in Soundstage 1 (clone of either DCA or idealy Ride N' Seek from Tokyo)
* Retheme HISTK to a Bug's Life, bulldozing part of it to put in a DCA flat ride (say,
Francis's Ladybug Boogie or Heimlich's Chew Chew Train)
* Replace Backlot Tour with Mater's Jamboree & Cars shop (say, Sarge's Suplus or Lizzie's) and Crush's Coaster.

All clones, could be easily and quickly built to add capacity for the inevitable Star Wars expansion. You can even add some food services to round it out.

Kman101

Well, "how long" ... this is Disney. 5 years at their fastest ;)

But I totally agree. It used to surprise me that they haven't done any of that yet but not really anymore. They just don't see the need, even if everyone else can.

Lord_Vader

Join me, together we can rule the galaxy.
I don't see TSMM being expanded unless it is a simple duplicate with one side dedicated to FP+ and the other for standby but Soarin' has been mentioned more than once in the past and could be done fairly well and nearly all behind the scenes before they every say a word.

As far as other ideas, I wouldn't hold my breath on any of it unless it is formally announced. Right now DIS doesn't seem to be eagerly spending on attractions in WDW, hoping MM+ meets their expectations and will start the flow of capital soon.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom