Rumor Tower of Terror to gain new theme?

TrojanUSC

DHS ToT has had bad, too quiet, and/or out of sync audio for years now and nothing is ever done about it. The overall lighting has been screwed around with too much and is too bright in the boiler room. There are several lighting effects missing from the drop sequences.

In the corridor scenes (the first scene), the image of the "ghosts" is also projected into the floor and the screen for the floating window at the rear of the scene is now obviously a screen, unlike when it opened. Just to name a few things.

The ride has never ever gone down for a refurbishment (occasionally one side will close for a few days at most) and it really, really needs it

It's such a draw that they have no real desire to close both sides of the ride at once. They could do an invasive refurb on each side without a full downtime of the building, but they don't even want to spend the money on that. It's sad.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
What exactly is broken on Tower nowadays? There used to be a wonderful effects status thread on here but it was unfortunately abandoned.

The preshow library audio definitely needs to be bumped up. I would also love if they brought over the rain and thunder effects from the DCA version. CRT TVs too.
Preshow volume, audio sync, corridor projection levels, image capture, drop lightning, air blast, a whole set of Horton doors...

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
They did have time to install a new ride phone system and instead of figuring out how to integrate it into the existing consoles, they added random unthemed boxes next to the control panels for the phones.
I believe so. Beggars belief.

Reminds me of when they "upgraded" the Epcot DCMs from touchscreen to LCD read outs and push buttons.

Kram Sacul

In the Parks
Yes
Preshow volume, audio sync, corridor projection levels, image capture, drop lightning, air blast, a whole set of Horton doors...

I've been meaning to ask you about the end of the corridor sequence. In your very well done tribute video there is a piece of music score which plays after the window breaks. On the actual ride it's just awkward silence. Has it always been that way or was the music removed at some point?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I've been meaning to ask you about the end of the corridor sequence. In your very well done tribute video there is a piece of music score which plays after the window breaks. On the actual ride it's just awkward silence. Has it always been that way or was the music removed at some point?
That music (if I understand the position correctly) should start to play as the doors close and the VVC ascends. It’s possibly lost in the present day mix.

Kram Sacul

In the Parks
Yes
That music (if I understand the position correctly) should start to play as the doors close and the VVC ascends. It’s possibly lost in the present day mix.

I was going to say it's definitely lost but after watching a few videos I've found out what the issue is. The music cue is there (low volume though) but it doesn't play until a few seconds after the window crashes and the door starts to close. In your tribute video it starts right after the window crash and before the Serling narration. Yep, it's all screwed up.

What it sounds like now:

Last edited:

neoshinok

It’s already an extra profile. If I recall, the current profiles are 1-4. Nightastic would be 5. Creep mode down to unload is profile 7,8 or 9. Or zero. They just have to allow the ride control system choose from 1-5 as opposed to 1-4. Nightastic is also the only profile that drops the full shaft height.

The 5th dimension is independent of the drop profile.

It's baffling that this isn't part of any of the other profiles. It should be done once in most if not all of them in my opinion.

jt04

Since MI no longer seems possible for Pixar Place I think it will move to RnRC area and ToT will get something Pixar related.

Just a guess.

Movielover

Since MI no longer seems possible for Pixar Place I think it will move to RnRC area and ToT will get something Pixar related.

Just a guess.

1516007917782.png

I swear sometimes it's like you want the commies to win...

Tom Morrow

Currently there are four drop sequences, each 45 seconds, and you can identify them by their first two moves: Up-Up, Up-Down, Down-Up, or Down-Down. Though maybe a bit subjective, "Up-Up" is the most intense profile, and is the only one that drops almost the entire height of the drop shaft. Down-Up is the next most intense. These two also have more prominent audio track than the other two., which feature a projection/false ending at the bottom of the shaft - either the window breaking or the "ghosts" in blue silhouette.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom