Tower of Terror sign placement

FettFan

In the afterglow and economic boom following the end of World War II, the Hollywood Tower Hotel was purchased by the architectural firm of Isner, Katz & Welles and plans were made to restore the venerable building to its former glory. The building would be redesigned to preserve the existing structure, but the missing exterior would not be rebuilt. “As a tribute” said Isner, “to the event of that fateful night and those who lost their lives.”
As a show of good faith to the city, as well as the owners of the new K-RCK (Radio California King) station that had just begun construction across the street, their first step in the refurbishment was to remove and refurbish the sign. The sign was then reinstalled at its current position, now illuminated for all to see.

But that’s when the manifestations began. One electrician, Robert Chapel, reported hearing ghostly voices calling out to him.

A crane operator by the name of J. O. Rhodes claimed that upon entering the building, he was bombarded by the sensation of blowing fans and flashing lights that paralyzed him in fear; “I couldn’t move. I wanted nothing more than to get away, but my arms and legs were just stuck in place.”

The ghostly occurrences continued, and grew more and more intense, with more and more experiencing paranormal experiences: the calling voices and strange strobing lights were joined by ghostly figures walking through the hotel lobby, phantom jazz music in the courtyard, and the cries of a small child being heard coming from the elevator shafts.

Things came to a head one month into the project, when a construction worker by the name of Miguel Ortiz bumped into one of the old hotel’s marquis signs, knocking a number of the letters off.
Upon inspection, it was discovered that the letters that had fallen to the bottom had spelled the message “EVL TOWR UR DOOMD”.
Ortiz believed that the tower had cursed him, at which point he climbed the stairs adjacent to the elevator shafts and leapt to his death.

After this incident, all work halted indefinitely. The firm of Isner Katz & Welles was officially disbanded after being forced into a multimillion dollar wrongful death settlement by the Ortiz family, and the old hotel was abandoned once again.

There has been debate on to what the future of this site shall be. One city planner Kathleen Kenney has proposed that the building be demolished completely for new development. “We must let the past die, even kill it if we must, or we will never progress effectively.”
Others aren’t so certain. Councilman Robbie Igorovich has proposed keeping the building but repurposing it into a museum. “I’ve been in touch with a number of curators who would love to display their antiquities in such a beautiful building.”

But the good citizens of Hollywood have other ideas.
“we should just work to preserve it as it is”, said Mayor Sonny Burbank. “This old tower is as just as much part of the Hollywood experience as the Chinese Theater. People come from all over the world to experience its mystery.”

Last edited:

celluloid

It so has you watching this on a large tv (a size thatthat would not exist even at the ritziest hotels) and you are about to sit it it inside a Service Elevator with bench seating and seatbelts.
Just in case anyone else was nitpicking it to the same extremes.

Just chalk(twilight zone reference if you get the chalk relevance) it all up to the supernatural of the fifth dimension, beckoning you in.

Rodj

I think the lobby of the DCA and Paris versions is more of a flaw than the sign of the DHS Tower(Just imagine that it did fall a story). 2 main elevators(Instead of 3) facing the entirely wrong side. To add to that the "extra strobes"(as I call it) on the top floor on the DCA version was literally an afterthought, just two cheap looking boxes holding a strobe each attached to the ceiling outside the doors while thankfully the Paris version at least blended it into the pipes holding the camera and the two primary strobes.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Are you talking about the grand opening night/inauguration? The opening night for Tower of Terror in WDSP is one of the best shows Paris ever did.
I know. I was lucky enough to be there :D

I meant as you walk out of studio one and BOOM the building is right in front of you. What you loose in the slow reveal of Orlando you gain in an almost surprise that it’s right there. As much as I thought it should have been a weenie at the end of a blvd.

Last edited:

montydysquith-navarro

In the Parks
No
I know. I was lucky enough to be there :D

I meant as you walk out of studio one and BOOM the building is right in front of you. What you loose in the slow reveal of Orlando you gain in an almost surprise that it’s right there. As much as I thought it should have been a weenie at the end of a blvd.

Ah, I see! Yeah, that's true. But, I think the placement of Paris' Tower is ideal that it should be able to retain the original Twilight Zone (more like Twilight Zone-adjacent) theme for a very long time. I doubt that they'd change it to Mission: Breakout! anytime soon since it towers over the appropriately-themed 1920s Production Courtyard and Place des Stars.

Tom Morrow

A few other things don't make sense about the Tower building. In the lobby, the two out of order elevators you see are meant to be the two main shafts. However, the lobby actually juts out from the main building, and in reality those elevator shafts would go nowhere.

Also, if you pay attention to the thickness of the wall as you enter the library, that space is not big enough for an elevator shaft to be there.

Also, if you're in the library on the left, it doesn't make sense for a window to be there. The boiler room is on the other side.

You also board the room in the "basement", but you're actually on the second floor of the building. When you exit, you're also on the "basement" level, but at ground level now.

Something that does make sense though, is that you board and exit on the "basement" level but in different areas of the hotel. Both literally and thematically, your journey transports your service elevator from the service shafts at the back of the building to the "out of order" guest shafts at the front of the building. You start in the boiler room, and end at a maintenance/repair desk.

Pepper's Ghost

The Tower of Terror is my favorite attraction at WDW, even with tons of effects broken and missing I love the attraction. However, one little thing bothers me to no end about the attraction.

The freaking sign! It’s way lower than it is in the preshow video and overlaps the dropshafts. This wouldn’t be a problem if the preshow didn’t show two towers jutting out the front of the main building. I don’t know how imagineers missed this little detail, but seriously how hard is it to either move the physical sign up or edit the preshow video to be more in line with the version of the HTH we see in the made for TV movie (which still makes absolutely NO logical sense).

Is there an obscure detail I don’t know about the sign placement? Is this a thing anyone else has noticed? Am I just insane for being driven nuts over this?
OCD is a curse. Trust me, I'm recovering.

ToT effects are broken, the Yeti is still standing still in a Disco, the HM has maintenance doors left open, they replace Redd on Pirates, Tronitize the previously excellent Test Track, People Mover is constantly going down, lines are 3 hrs long when they used to be 30 min, and you're really concerned about the placement of the ToT sign most? You need to re-prioritize your OCD rage. 🤣 🤪

A few other things don't make sense about the Tower building. In the lobby, the two out of order elevators you see are meant to be the two main shafts. However, the lobby actually juts out from the main building, and in reality those elevator shafts would go nowhere.

Also, if you pay attention to the thickness of the wall as you enter the library, that space is not big enough for an elevator shaft to be there.

Also, if you're in the library on the left, it doesn't make sense for a window to be there. The boiler room is on the other side.

You also board the room in the "basement", but you're actually on the second floor of the building. When you exit, you're also on the "basement" level, but at ground level now.

Something that does make sense though, is that you board and exit on the "basement" level but in different areas of the hotel. Both literally and thematically, your journey transports your service elevator from the service shafts at the back of the building to the "out of order" guest shafts at the front of the building. You start in the boiler room, and end at a maintenance/repair desk.
Since breaking my OCD habits, I realize that it's a fricken' ride, and a great one at that! Come on, man! Suspend reality, enjoy, and don't pet the sweaty things. lol. Geez are we nit picky on this forum. 😁;)

DisAl

It's the TWILIGHT ZONE, remember? Nothing has to make sense.....

disney_dave62

These little things exist in other places also, like Muppet movie when monsters out on stage and in the film on the screen at the sametime , mistake or on purpose?

BillW

Bottom line, my favorite ride at WDW. A true Disney classic. I would be happy if they left it as is for many, many years.

Kate F

I haven’t ridden it myself, but if there’s one good thing I can say about Mission Breakout, it’s that DCA’s tower can at least be its own thing now instead of being seen as an inferior version of DHS’s.

Not that that excuses the ugly design that ruins the sight-lines of the park and trying to cash in on a currently popular IP, but it’s something...

Jon81uk

I haven’t ridden it myself, but if there’s one good thing I can say about Mission Breakout, it’s that DCA’s tower can at least be its own thing now instead of being seen as an inferior version of DHS’s.

Not that that excuses the ugly design that ruins the sight-lines of the park and trying to cash in on a currently popular IP, but it’s something...

As ugly as the outside is, the ride is incredibly FUN. I think it was Joe Rohde on the Imagineering Story who said they wanted to take that feeling of exhilaration and fun as part of the drop, rather than the feeling of fear that was the main characteristic of Tower of Terror. The ride really delivers on the fun feeling now, even if the outside looks a mess!

I do think they need to leave DHS alone as the classic best ToT and it should not change to GotG or anything.

Phonedave

The Tower of Terror is my favorite attraction at WDW, even with tons of effects broken and missing I love the attraction. However, one little thing bothers me to no end about the attraction.

The freaking sign! It’s way lower than it is in the preshow video and overlaps the dropshafts. This wouldn’t be a problem if the preshow didn’t show two towers jutting out the front of the main building. I don’t know how imagineers missed this little detail, but seriously how hard is it to either move the physical sign up or edit the preshow video to be more in line with the version of the HTH we see in the made for TV movie (which still makes absolutely NO logical sense).

Is there an obscure detail I don’t know about the sign placement? Is this a thing anyone else has noticed? Am I just insane for being driven nuts over this?

I could have sworn I have seen a video (or something else) with the sign falling/dropping. I always wondered why it was so low as well, and then I recall seeing something where the sign was high up, the lighting hits the building, the building towers disappear, and then the sign drops down, amidst a bunch of sparks. I distinctly recall thinking - oh, that explains it.

Or maybe this is in the same vein as King Louie and Real Cannonballs.

I'd like to understand more about why you said the made for TV movie, Tower of Terror, makes no logical sense.

Maxonius

Original Poster
I'd like to understand more about why you said the made for TV movie, Tower of Terror, makes no logical sense.
Ah yes, well in the movie the hotel has just flat walls/windows on the front of the building (no towers like in the preshow). However, the movie doesn’t account for the fact that the elevator doors would literally just open to a window instead of a hallway/room of some sort. If you look carefully it also looks like the windows where the shafts would be in the movie open and close like elevator doors in the opening.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom