Tower of Terror Question

DisneyDreamer08

Original Poster
I was just watching a clip from the Modern Marvels show on WDW and I have a question in regards to ToT. They were discussing the updates given in 2002 when the drop sequence became random. But they also said you would see different shows, audio and lighting techniques. I've never noticed anything different from ride to another. Did they just mean that the ride would be made different from the original version or is something really different every time you ride? :shrug:

thanks!

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
I was just watching a clip from the Modern Marvels show on WDW and I have a question in regards to ToT. They were discussing the updates given in 2002 when the drop sequence became random. But they also said you would see different shows, audio and lighting techniques. I've never noticed anything different from ride to another. Did they just mean that the ride would be made different from the original version or is something really different every time you ride? :shrug:

thanks!

There are different visual and audio effects that become active in the drop shafts - depending on the drop profile that you get.

DisneyDreamer08

Original Poster
There are different visual and audio effects that become active in the drop shafts - depending on the drop profile that you get.

What do you mean by different visuals? The only thing I can think of right now is the ghost images of the little girl/nanny in the elevator... do those just pop up randomly?

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
What do you mean by different visuals? The only thing I can think of right now is the ghost images of the little girl/nanny in the elevator... do those just pop up randomly?

In one of the profiles the end screen is used as a false ending, in another there are some wax figures that appear, in another there is an air blast, and another there are some lightning bolts. The audio is also different for each, synced to the profile. I don't have a definitive list, but there are certainly different effects that accompany each profile. Ride it back to back on your next trip and keep your eyes peeled. Riding at night is better for spotting them, as your eyes are adjusted to the dark and you get better night vision :)

WDW_Emily

That changes we went on awhile ago(i think in 07) and we didn't see them and i freaked when we dropped because I was used to seeing them then dropping.

Do the CMs pick what each elevator does every time? or is there like a patten? This sounds weird but when I rode and our whole elevator was adults except like 3 kids we had a HUGE first drop. Also does anyone know the types of sequences. like up to floor 13 down to 7 up to 9 down to 3?

Rob562

That changes we went on awhile ago(i think in 07) and we didn't see them and i freaked when we dropped because I was used to seeing them then dropping.

Do the CMs pick what each elevator does every time? or is there like a patten? This sounds weird but when I rode and our whole elevator was adults except like 3 kids we had a HUGE first drop. Also does anyone know the types of sequences. like up to floor 13 down to 7 up to 9 down to 3?

The CMs do not choose the profile. It's chosen by the ride system's computer at random as the car in entering the drop shaft.

-Rob

DisneyDreamer08

Original Poster
In one of the profiles the end screen is used as a false ending, in another there are some wax figures that appear, in another there is an air blast, and another there are some lightning bolts. The audio is also different for each, synced to the profile. I don't have a definitive list, but there are certainly different effects that accompany each profile. Ride it back to back on your next trip and keep your eyes peeled. Riding at night is better for spotting them, as your eyes are adjusted to the dark and you get better night vision :)

Wow thanks! I think I'm so wrapped up in the dropping that I'm not really paying attention to much else :D Thanks for the info!

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
The inshaft effects are:

Lightning effects on the walls with thunder

Smashing mirror projection (with audio) - duplicate of the visual from the corridor scene, not the 5th D.

Ghost guests projection (known as the false ending) with music

Cabin shake - only operative on one drop shaft last year - the whole VVC will vibrate like an earthquake

Mannaquins of the hotel guests (one pair per shaft) - illuminated by strobe light, audio of girl singing "It`s Raining..." and air cannons blasting air into the VVC.

Each effect (or two) is asigned to a particular drop sequence.

The beauty of the ride system means any combination could be added into any new drop profile, and new effects added relatively easily...

blackthidot

In the Parks
Yes
The inshaft effects are:

Lightning effects on the walls with thunder

Smashing mirror projection (with audio) - duplicate of the visual from the corridor scene, not the 5th D.

Ghost guests projection (known as the false ending) with music

Cabin shake - only operative on one drop shaft last year - the whole VVC will vibrate like an earthquake

Mannaquins of the hotel guests (one pair per shaft) - illuminated by strobe light, audio of girl singing "It`s Raining..." and air cannons blasting air into the VVC.

Each effect (or two) is asigned to a particular drop sequence.

The beauty of the ride system means any combination could be added into any new drop profile, and new effects added relatively easily...

Never knew all that but it's hard to see things with your eyes closed!!! :lookaroun

MrX8991

Interesting, I've seen all of the those effects except the mannequins and have been looking for the drop profiles for a while now. Thanks!

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Interesting, I've seen all of the those effects except the mannequins and have been looking for the drop profiles for a while now. Thanks!
I only saw the mannequins once in 2001 and 2007 - riding dozens of times during the latter trip.

Last September - remembering all profiles are random - we saw them 4 times in a row in the space of less than an hour during constant riding in both Echo and Foxtrot.

SirGoofy

I only saw the mannequins once in 2001 and 2007 - riding dozens of times during the latter trip.

Last September - remembering all profiles are random - we saw them 4 times in a row in the space of less than an hour during constant riding in both Echo and Foxtrot.

I've seen them a lot. They're pretty lame. I'd love to see them replaced with a screen or projection.

I've only had a few of those. The false ending sounds cool, maybe i'll get it next time i go.

The false ending is in my favorite drop profile.

hazelrah

Do you happen to know which drop shaft has the cabin shake working? I've ridden dozens of times, but never have experience this. I wonder if it's because I've been taking the wrong fork in the road...

Laura

That is my FAVORITE ONE. It only happened to me once years ago and every time I ride I hope for it again. No such luck. :lol:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom