Tower of Terror "new stories and effects" coming?

Magenta Panther

Original Poster
Well, I just read a story posted at the Forbidden Site that the Tower of Terror will be getting new "stories", sounds and visual effects starting September 28th.

Interesting...can any insiders here corroborate and elaborate on this?

jaxj21

“At Disneyland Paris, we regularly want to reinvent the guest experience to continue to surprise them and bring them new thrills and emotions. We look forward to unveiling the new drop sequences and effects at the Twilight Zone Tower of Terror, which will create memorable and terrifying memories for guests of the Hollywood Tower Hotel, “said Bjorn Heerwagen, Show Design & Production Director for Walt Disney Imagineering.

Magenta Panther

Original Poster
There's no need to delete this thread, as some of those changes may come to DHS in the future as well.

Well, that's cool, I guess. But I wish TDO would also darken the corridor. If the hallway can be seen with the new lighting, then it destroys the effect of being in another dimension. Come on, TDO, you made a mistake. Fix it!

Kram Sacul

In the Parks
Yes
“At Disneyland Paris, we regularly want to reinvent the guest experience to continue to surprise them and bring them new thrills and emotions. We look forward to unveiling the new drop sequences and effects at the Twilight Zone Tower of Terror, which will create memorable and terrifying memories for guests of the Hollywood Tower Hotel, “said Bjorn Heerwagen, Show Design & Production Director for Walt Disney Imagineering.

DCA’s tower should’ve gotten this upgrade instead of Mission: Dumpter Dive.

MiddKid

DCA’s tower should’ve gotten this upgrade instead of Mission: Dumpter Dive.

I posted this same story a few months ago in the Epcot Guardians thread. It seemed relevant here given the comment above:

A coworker of mine recently reached out as they were going to Disneyland for the first time. A couple in their 40s with their one tween daughter. My coworker is a pop culture geek but also a well-grounded C-suite exec at a multi-billion dollar company. None of them had ever been to Disneyland. I gave them an extensive multi-day touring plan. Off they went.

Upon their return we had lunch and he told me that GotG: Mission Breakout their favorite ride...by far. I inquired about some of the Disneyland classics...Pirates, Mansion, Indy, etc...and his response had me think about the parks in a different way (relevant to this conversation). He said that since none of them had never been, the nostalgia/Americana aspect of Disneyland held very little interest to them. They told me they actually spent more time in DCA than DL over the course of 4 days. Relevance to them was Guardians, Toy Story Mania, Soarin’, etc.

It’s easy to forget how so many of the “classic” rides rely on our own nostalgia and to someone 100% new to the experience, they may not be as special.

Marc Davis Fan

I posted this same story a few months ago in the Epcot Guardians thread. It seemed relevant here given the comment above:

A coworker of mine recently reached out as they were going to Disneyland for the first time. A couple in their 40s with their one tween daughter. My coworker is a pop culture geek but also a well-grounded C-suite exec at a multi-billion dollar company. None of them had ever been to Disneyland. I gave them an extensive multi-day touring plan. Off they went.

Upon their return we had lunch and he told me that GotG: Mission Breakout their favorite ride...by far. I inquired about some of the Disneyland classics...Pirates, Mansion, Indy, etc...and his response had me think about the parks in a different way (relevant to this conversation). He said that since none of them had never been, the nostalgia/Americana aspect of Disneyland held very little interest to them. They told me they actually spent more time in DCA than DL over the course of 4 days. Relevance to them was Guardians, Toy Story Mania, Soarin’, etc.

It’s easy to forget how so many of the “classic” rides rely on our own nostalgia and to someone 100% new to the experience, they may not be as special.

I don’t think a lack of nostalgia explains that so much as people liking fast-paced flashy stuff with characters/franchises they know (or spectacle, as with Soarin’) ...when that’s what they go into the experience expecting to get (e.g., because of how the place is marketed to them and publicly perceived).

I take first-timers to DL often, and I frame it as a massive art installation with groundbreaking design work, etc., and they’re always the most blown away by Rivers of America, Pirates, Mansion, Big Thunder, etc.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member

Would they have enjoyed the Hollywood Tower Hotel as much? We’ll never know.

MiddKid

Would they have enjoyed the Hollywood Tower Hotel as much? We’ll never know.

Exactly. We’ll never know. But they specifically called out the Guardians characters/integration as a highlight. I just bring up the example for those like the OP who call it a dumpster dive or that they ruined the attraction.

I should also note, as a former bellhop at WDW’s Tower, they better never touch the original. A masterpiece. Seeing TZ return to relevancy via CBS All Access gave me renewed hope that it won’t be IP’d.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom