Tourists arrested for taking a "joyride on stolen Epcot golf cart"

Vader2112

There was a large group(s) (actually ran into two groups with the same shirt 20-30 total) of people at EPCOT on Saturday sporting Drinking around the world T-Shirts. The back had check marks next to each county they had a beverage at. I wonder if they were going for a second round on Sunday?

kfergdisney

Guess everyone has rule breakers in their families! I personally do not drink (very much) and love Disney too much to even think of doing something that might get me in trouble to which I could not go on vacation any more to the most Magical Place on Earth.

BoarderPhreak

That's not true. You can get a DUI on private property, and in a non motor vehicle. DUIs have been given out for people on bikes, and in my favorite case, a drunk hockey rink worker received a DUI on a Zamboni.
Hmm, yeah - come to think of it, we have BWIs (both Boating and Biking) around here... But they were generally on public walkways or waters. It problaby varies from state to state.

EpcoTim

Disney needs to be careful... while offering alcohol is good for $, bad PR like this won't help the child/family vacation spot atmosphere

Oh won't somebody please think of the CHILDREN!?!?!

Give me a break, in none of these reports does it ever state that they were even in the parks. They could have been drinking in their room, come from off property, etc etc. This type of stuff happens everywhere. Look at baseball games. People get hammered there and you don't see any shortage of parents and kids or little leagues attending games, just like any sport, its well known that a proper sports fan is a drunken one.

But if they were in the parks, then you're right, Disney's attendance numbers next year will plummet and we will never see another e-ticket again. Oh the hum.....Oh, wait.

Timekeeper

DUI doesn't apply to golf carts on private property. It's not a "motor vehicle" nor was it operated on a public roadway.

In Florida, to prove the crime of Driving under the Influence, the State must prove the following two elements beyond a reasonable doubt:
1. (Defendant) drove or was in actual physical control of a vehicle.
2. While driving or in actual physical control of the vehicle, (defendant)
Give 2a or b or both as applicable.
a. was under the influence of [alcoholic beverages] [a chemical substance] [a controlled substance] to the extent that [his] [her] normal faculties were impaired.
b. had a [blood] [breath]-alcohol level of .08 or more grams
of alcohol per [100 milliliters of blood] [210 liters of breath].

That's all that's required. The crime has nothing to do with vehicle motors, streets, who owns the property, etc. (Maybe you're thinking of other criminal charges, for which those factors do play a role, such as driving while license suspended/cancelled/revoked.)

PhotoDave219

I'm still laughing at these two knuckleheads.

To sum up, Chucklehead 1 and Chucklehead 2, complete with beers in hand, saw a vacated golf cart on the Boardwalk in the wee hours of the morning (last call is 2AM so between Midnight and then) and somehow thought it would be a good idea to go tearing off in it.

They passed OCSO at Atlantic Dance Hall. Pursuit ensued. Ended at Swan & Dolphin.

Chucklehead 1 and Chucklehead 2 were arrested.

Vader2112

Oh won't somebody please think of the CHILDREN!?!?!

, Disney's attendance numbers next year will plummet and we will never see another e-ticket again. Oh the hum.....Oh, wait.
This could be a new E Ticket after hours hard ticket event. Mr. Toad's Real Wild Ride. You have to start in Mexico and make all the way around World Showcase without getting pulled over. If pulled over you are subject to Field Sobriety Tests, Breathalyzer, arrest (possible police brutality) Jail and all those nasty things that come with jail. Seriously Don't Drink and Drive.

BoarderPhreak

...That's all that's required. The crime has nothing to do with vehicle motors, streets, who owns the property, etc. (Maybe you're thinking of other criminal charges, for which those factors do play a role, such as driving while license suspended/cancelled/revoked.)
There is some difference among the states, apparently. But as far as "private property" it's rather explicit. WDW would not qualify in any event it seems, as the "public has open and free access to the property." If it were your own property it would probably be a valid defense (assuming you weren't sitting in the driveway, perhaps).

luv

I'm still laughing at these two knuckleheads.

To sum up, Chucklehead 1 and Chucklehead 2, complete with beers in hand, saw a vacated golf cart on the Boardwalk in the wee hours of the morning (last call is 2AM so between Midnight and then) and somehow thought it would be a good idea to go tearing off in it.

They passed OCSO at Atlantic Dance Hall. Pursuit ensued. Ended at Swan & Dolphin.

Chucklehead 1 and Chucklehead 2 were arrested.
Agreed. :). This was my favorite part, lol...
They were yelling, shouting, and laughing as they drove past where we were standing.
But I also very much enjoyed that suspect #1 had one beer and suspect #2 had two beers. :)

TP2000

Disney needs to be careful... while offering alcohol is good for $, bad PR like this won't help the child/family vacation spot atmosphere

This didn't take place inside a theme park. It took place at a hotel. Disney could say "no more alcohol sales on property, not even in hotel cocktail lounges", and this stupid stunt by these drunkards from New England would still have taken place.

They were both drinking cans of beer (classy!); and since bars don't serve beer in cans to customers it's likely that these guys brought in their own beer to their rooms at the Boardwalk hotel. How do you honestly expect Disney to prevent beer drinking by grown men at a hotel?

But in my opinion, this story is hilarious! I bet their wives are furious! :D

FigmentsFangirl

I must just add here that this thread really made myself laugh loud and hard over how funny {and stupid} some people can be.

I agree, a new E tickekt ride for WS: Start at Mexico and end at Canada on a predesignated route so you don't hurt anybody, winner gets a free beer at a a WS Pavillion at their choice.

OK I'm hyper now. Thanks very much guys for a great pickmeup for a downer of a day :D

Pixiedustmaker

I wonder if this incident will cause changes with regards to perhaps installing electronic keys for the carts. Since this was publicized, you can bet that Disney wants to crackdown on the perps pretty harshly to avoid some teenagers doing the same thing . . . and running over a couple of small kids.

I'm surprised that the duo haven't been charged with wreckless endangerment of the public safety, if a golf cart going 25 mph hits a small child head on, nobody would be laughing. The fact that they were aiming for people is kinda scary.

As far as Grand Theft golf cart goes, if some punk steals a car and runs over a couple of pedestrians, I'm sure the DA would be happy to add grand theft auto to the charges. I don't think you can walk into a store, steal something too big to put in your car, and then complain that you weren't really going to steal it as you had no way to transport it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom