Tourists arrested for taking a "joyride on stolen Epcot golf cart"

LucyK

Oh, to be a fly on the wall and witness a few years from now one of them trying to explain to their children why daddy can't take them to Disney...

"You see sweety, daddy was a moron and decided to borrow Disney property while enjoying some innocent beverage. SO, how about I take you to Atlantic City instead?"

meekoman

They're more concerned with selling booze than maintaining a "family" atmosphere or running parks that have class.

These guys were just drunks who took a golf cart for a joyride. They had no intention of stealing it and keeping it from its rightful owner. They aren't car thieves. I think they were stupid, but also think it's a little crazy to charge them with Grand Theft.

If Disney doesn't want drunken behavior, they should quit pushing booze. If they want to keep selling booze, they need to treat drunks like drunks and not like serious thieves.
We just returned a couple of weeks ago and were talking about this issue. We saw more than a couple intoxicated individuals at Epcot. Is this really the beginning of an accepted behavior just to make more money off tourists?

luv

We just returned a couple of weeks ago and were talking about this issue. We saw more than a couple intoxicated individuals at Epcot. Is this really the beginning of an accepted behavior just to make more money off tourists?
I am extremely disappointed in what is going on at Epcot. They've been pushing booze at the AK, too. I haven't noticed the behavior there that I've seen at Epcot, but I do see more people walking around and drinking.

They've already begun moving booze into the MK. Give them time. We will have drunks there, too.

PhotoDave219

Hmm, I don't think the grand theft charge will stick. As someone who once went joy riding on a golf cart when I was a teen, they couldn't charge for theft because I never left the golf course.

Yes but these are grown adults. I see them making a plea bargain and thats the only way Grand Theft goes away. Probably knocked down to criminal mischeif, probabtion, community service and a lifetime ban.

HDS

Yes but these are grown adults. I see them making a plea bargain and thats the only way Grand Theft goes away. Probably knocked down to criminal mischeif, probabtion, community service and a lifetime ban.

I was trial as an adult. They hit me with damages to the golf cart.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I wonder if this incident will cause changes with regards to perhaps installing electronic keys for the carts. Since this was publicized, you can bet that Disney wants to crackdown on the perps pretty harshly to avoid some teenagers doing the same thing . . . and running over a couple of small kids.

Uhh.. most carts like these already have keys. But like any vehicle.. if you leave the keys in it.. it's kind of pointless.

Captain Neo

I honestly didn't know you could be charged with grand theft for stealing a golf cart especially since they were just riding it on property.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
I honestly didn't know you could be charged with grand theft for stealing a golf cart especially since they were just riding it on property.
You could be charged with manslaughter if the cop wanted to...it's up to the courts to see if those charges stick.

flynnibus

Premium Member

People are getting twisted up in similar terms..

People have 'grand theft auto' on their mind.. but really the term in play here is 'grand larceny' or 'grand theft' or 'felony theft'. Basically the different between 'petty theft' and 'grand theft' is the value of the item being stolen. Since the item is above the threshold.. it becomes grand theft and becomes a felony charge.

'grand theft auto' in florida is under the saw statutes.. just a 'motor vehicle' is a specific item that if taken, makes it a 3rd degree charge

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom