tourist reports Bed bugs in Disney resort

Status
Not open for further replies.
The after affects of a few sessions of beer, San Angel and Boma will soon put paid to the pesky bleeders anyway. Natures organic fumigation.

ROFL... we have a similar food in the Southern US, red kidney beans and rice mixed with any beer will yield an "explosive" reaction...:lookaroun guaranteed to clear any room of any breathing (especially smelling) creature

ryguy

When housekeeping are changing sheets are they trained to find these critters? I would think the people cleaning the room should be on the lookout constantly for the bugs. Nocturnal or not a trained eye should be able to find evidence of a infestation. Customers shouldn't have to be the ones inspecting the rooms. Especially since this is a known growing problem in the hotel industry.

pax_65

People on here need to watch there words. Discussions and making fun of "Things" is fun. Making fun of people or a group of people, is not fun.

Stereotyping is wrong. But sometimes political correctness can obscure the truth. And there are elements of truth in what was said here.

First, it is true that bedbugs can infect even the most luxurious, expensive hotels in the world (I heard of the Waldorf Astoria having issues). They do not discriminate between wealth, cleanliness, level of education, etc.

HOWEVER, the bedbugs have to come from somewhere. They don't crawl out of the ground and attack hotels at random. They come in the luggage and clothing of guests.

The following is still logically true:

1. If you stay at multiple hotels, you increase your odds of being infected with bedbugs. I would further argue that staying at less expensive hotels increases your risk even further, because these lower-end hotels may not have the housekeeping, pest control, and other resources that can help keep infestations in check. So a person who drives to Disney staying at multiple cheaper hotels along the way probably has a better chance of bringing bedbugs along with them.

2. Properly dealing with a bedbug infestation is expensive. A person with limited financial means might wash linens and use some store-bought spray, which will not be effective. As has already been discussed, it will likely take professional pest control and possibly the purchases of new mattresses in order to fully resolve the situation. So a person of limited financial means may be more likely to accidentally spread bedbugs from their home to a hotel they are staying at because the problem at their home was not correctly resolved.

I also think it is logical to assume that a person of limited financial means who drives to Disney staying in less expensive hotels along the way would be more likely to stay in a value resort than a moderate/deluxe resort simply because of the cost involved (although with the specials Disney has been running this year, this may not be as true as it once was).

So again, while it is wrong to stereotype (as many who stay in value resorts do not fit in these categories), and while moderate/deluxe resorts are certainly threatened by bedbugs also, I would say there is a certain logic to saying that you have a greater risk of being exposed to bedbugs in a value resort because of the risk presented by (some) of the people who are likely to stay there.

EaglesfanNJ

Anamaniacs, i completely understand where you were trying to go with your response, but i don't think anyone is being "over sensitive" Your point was this.. "it's the kinds of tourists who stay at those places). But wouldn't it be more likely to have an outbreak at All Star because of the NUMBER of tourists staying at All Stars, no the KINDS of tourists?? I'm not an exterminator, but that's what i've read. Bedbugs are attracted to warm blooded mammals, that mammal does not have to stay at the Grand Floridian to get a free pass from the bug. I'm a middle class, average income, regular Joe from Jersey. I have a normal house with normal cars and a normal family. I work hard for my $. Instead of ponying up more $ for my room, i'm choosing to spend that money on my 1 year old daughter and her experience at the parks, since that is where we will spend most of our time. Should i be ashamed of staying at a Value? If so, i'm not. I think the response you've been getting from people is due to your choice of words, that's all. We know you didn't mean EVERYONE, but that's not what you posted. Your post just came off a little ignorant that's all.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Stereotyping is wrong. But sometimes political correctness can obscure the truth. And there are elements of truth in what was said here.

First, it is true that bedbugs can infect even the most luxurious, expensive hotels in the world (I heard of the Waldorf Astoria having issues). They do not discriminate between wealth, cleanliness, level of education, etc.

HOWEVER, the bedbugs have to come from somewhere. They don't crawl out of the ground and attack hotels at random. They come in the luggage and clothing of guests.

The following is still logically true:

1. If you stay at multiple hotels, you increase your odds of being infected with bedbugs. I would further argue that staying at less expensive hotels increases your risk even further, because these lower-end hotels may not have the housekeeping, pest control, and other resources that can help keep infestations in check. So a person who drives to Disney staying at multiple cheaper hotels along the way probably has a better chance of bringing bedbugs along with them.

2. Properly dealing with a bedbug infestation is expensive. A person with limited financial means might wash linens and use some store-bought spray, which will not be effective. As has already been discussed, it will likely take professional pest control and possibly the purchases of new mattresses in order to fully resolve the situation. So a person of limited financial means may be more likely to accidentally spread bedbugs from their home to a hotel they are staying at because the problem at their home was not correctly resolved.

I also think it is logical to assume that a person of limited financial means who drives to Disney staying in less expensive hotels along the way would be more likely to stay in a value resort than a moderate/deluxe resort simply because of the cost involved (although with the specials Disney has been running this year, this may not be as true as it once was).

So again, while it is wrong to stereotype (as many who stay in value resorts do not fit in these categories), and while moderate/deluxe resorts are certainly threatened by bedbugs also, I would say there is a certain logic to saying that you have a greater risk of being exposed to bedbugs in a value resort because of the risk presented by (some) of the people who are likely to stay there.
How dare you bring logic and reason into a discussion like this!:lol:

magicmaya

Is this sarcastic or serious? Because bed bugs don't care if it's the motel on the highway or the Grand Floridian... it's not a class/money issue! Bed bugs travel on all types of clothes, luggage, etc. You can get them in cheap hotels and you can get them in the most expensive hotels!

wow..didn't expect a comment like this...

just expressing my feelings.nope I wasn't sarcastic, just used to staying at the ritz carlton thats all.

Sorry if I offended anyone.

well... gotta get back to my photoshoot! Chow!

:brick::shrug::veryconfu:zipit::hammer::dazzle::lookaroun

PhotoDave219

I believe policy has them burning all the linens, mattresses and curtains, ripping out the carpet and disposing of any upholstery that is in the room.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom